02 426 oil

ahhhh, the dreaded oil thread.... just kidding. You will get a ton of different views on this. Do yourself a favor and at the top of this page there is a "search" button with a small triangle by it.

click advanced search, type in "oil" and then select the yzf forum. There are tons of posts on oil. It is alot of personal preference, but that will get you started. Whatever oil you chose, change it often.

Synthetics like at 6-8 hours

regular like 4hrs btw I am running the rotella in mine and change at 4 hrs and no prob's so far.

and stay away from any auto "gas engine" oil.

jay

thats nuts!! do you know how expensive it would be to change every 4 hrs. thats like every time i ride. the manual says 1000 KM, which is a little more then 600 miles. i never wait that long, and i run full synthetics, but you be the judge of your own bike. personally i do it every couple hundred miles, at about 2x the intervals that the manual states

Look this over:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2685432#post2685432

As to weight, you should have a manual, and the manual will recommend oil viscosity based on temperature range. In summary a 10w-40 or 20w-40 is suitable for most situations where the ambient temperature is less than 110 degrees or so. If temps consistently stay above 90, a Xw-50 may be a better choice. Read the link above.

Synthetic oils will not cause your clutch to slip or misbehave. Oils that carry API EC II (Energy Conserving, Group II) possibly could.

If you don't have a manual, download one here:

http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0

thats nuts!! do you know how expensive it would be to change every 4 hrs. thats like every time i ride. the manual says 1000 KM, which is a little more then 600 miles. i never wait that long, and i run full synthetics, but you be the judge of your own bike. personally i do it every couple hundred miles, at about 2x the intervals that the manual states
If you were to do a used oil analysis, with particular attention paid to the measured viscosity at 200 degrees (F), you might change your tune. Multigrade oils not originally blended specifically for use as transmission lubricants suffer mightily in a YZF gearbox, and your favorite synthetic 10W-40 could well be turning into a 10w-30 or 10w-20 (or worse) in a startlingly short amount of time. With the right oil, 6-10 hours might be fine. With the wrong oil, which includes some otherwise really excellent engine oils, 2 hours may not be soon enough.

Check out page 9 in this PDF:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

Anybody ever try Redline oils?

I've used them in my Road Racing bikes as they seem to help them tun a little cooler. Same folks that produce the water wetter that seems to get rave reviews in the other thread about overheating.

(I've put some thought into this as I overheated my new 426 this weekend) :foul:

Anyone?

Alright! An oil thread. :banana:

Here is what I do: Use a cheap (yet high quality) oil and change it often. I use Shell Rotella (diesel oil) 15W40 and I change it every ride. Seems like a lot of work, but it works for me.

I was turned on to the Rotella by the folks at Rekluse. Auto-clutches and full synthetics don't work well together. I was using Motorex and having some clutch issues. I made the switch and my clutch has never worked better. ?