HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dougie

Anyone else replacing fork seals left and right

5 posts in this topic

Well, anyone?

I've just replaced my third set of fork seals this year alone. I've tried everything to prevent it but no dice.

If this keeps up, I'm going to have to learn how to do it myself just so I can feed my family.

My fork tubes are pretty scratched up due to mountain rock riding lately and I'm afraid I'm going to have replace one of them soon and they are getting harder and harder to buff out. Oh well, it is only money.

Tell you what, if anyone can invent a way to protect the lower fork tubes on upside down forks, you will be a rich man.

------------------

Dougie, '99 WR400

Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

Dougie I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. The reason I had to replace them was because I straped it down to tight with my tie downs. Thats the only way I've ever blown any. I cut a block of wood to go between my tire and fender this takes the load off the fork seals. They sell braces for this very reason but a block of wood works just the same.

------------------

00WR FMF909 Teambend bars Airboxlid removed Baffle removed WR timing MSR raptor clutch lever Aceribis rally handgaurds Forks raised 10mm YZ tank Doug henry seat All lights removed

Maybe its because your always trying to do wheelies in a half hazard fashion? Hahaha, sorry...couldnt resist. Seriously though, when I worked at Yamaha we used to take emery cloth to the fork tubes to get the glaze off. It would put a cross hatch on the tubes enabling the new seals to seat and not leak. Give it a try, just clean em off when your done with some brake cleaner to get any residue off.