HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest

Possible Gearing Change

4 posts in this topic

Have a WR timed '98 400 with a lot of the mods presented on this post. Current gearing is 13 front and 49 rear. Consistent problem is that I stall the bike coming into turns and such. I know that this is partially due to my riding (using clutch, staying on the gas, etc....). I have been thinking about re-gearing to 13-51 or 52 because I don't need the top end as much as I love the bottom end. Plus I think that it will be alot better for me where I ride. Question is, will this change result in me stalling more/less or no effect?

I went with a 52t rear and it made a HUGE differance in the slow technical stuff. I would definitally recommend this mod.

Richard

i do the slow nadgery stuff like you & i have been using 13 x 48 or 50. i find i can roll up to the top of some of these man made steep climbs & it hasn't stalled. also in real gloop (the 1' deep variety) i can run as quickly as it will go slow!

as for stalling, are you locking up the back brake when you stomp on it? how about adjusting it down a smidge so that it's binding & not locking.

After reading my own post, I may have figured out my problem. I may be going into a braking section in too high a gear with no throttle. That combined with hitting the brakes may be the reason I'm stalling. Gearing up to a 52 may create a monster though in terms of bottom end.