Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rob612

Cracked tank

7 posts in this topic

I have an 02' YZ426 and while riding the other day i noticed a constant drip of gasoline dripping on the ground. Taking off the tank i noticed a crack on the bottom of it. Does anybody out there know how to fix a cracked gasoline tank. These things are freakin expensive. OEM about 300.00$. I tried JB weld but that cracked also. I'm looking at EBay but haven't found any yet.

When both my and my buddies 426 tanks cracks, we both bought the clarke tank. No more problems were to be had.

I have noticed with JB weld that if your going to be using it on a place (such as the bottom of ur tank) that will be ahving gas touch it all the time its best to use just a little more hardened and spread a thick layer that thins out over a fairly larger area than just the crack, this will help to prevent the JB weld its self from cracking but the 426 tanks have a slight rep with cracking so u may just want to get a new one anyway and since there not a large tank its a good excuse to upgrade your tank to a larger size

IMHO it is too risky to repair the fuel tank. Dripping gas and hot engines don't mix well. I bought a Clarke replacement for mine when this happen. No issues with the replacement.