Any tips on hot starting?

My patience is starting to wear thin with my 2000 WR400F. I was in a harescrambles today and I dropped the bike. I picked it up, pulled out the hot start, didnt touch the gas and started kicking. About 50 kicks and 20 minutes later, it finally started after it cooled down and I shut off the gas. It did it again on my next lap. I was in the top 5 when it did it the first time but ended up 20th by the end of the day. I am getting very frustrated with this bike and to the point I will sell it if someone would buy the lump from me!! ($6000 CDN or approx $4300 US) What can I do so it wont flood out after a fall? I know I should have changed a plug but it still would have taken me 10-15 minutes I'm sure. THANKS!! Scotty

I have had the same experience with a real hot motor I bumped the PJ up one size and it helped. Went from a 48 to a 50 below 4500feet and from a 45 to a 48 above 4500 feet. My 99WR 400 bike is YZ timed. I think I have been running lean on the pilot for some time it may have something to do with the Vortex ignition I have on the bike?

Clark

I just read in MXA for a flooded YZF, they HOLD the compression release in, open the throttle and kick it over rapidly 10 times.

MXA August 2000: 4 Stroke Starting Secrets

Ever since I finally had the proper starting technique DRILLED into my head, my bike has never failed to start for me, flooded or not, in no more than 5 kicks. I wonder if your carb is jetted right...???

------------------

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.

AMA, NETRA

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-10-2000).]

I have YZ timing, 180 main, 48 pilot and DVP needle 5th clip (I'm not 100% sure though).

Your jetting could be borderline rich. If it doesn't start in 2-3 kicks hot, the compression release and kick 10 times no throttle is good advice. Check that your pilot screw is not set too rich and probably try a clip leaner on the needle(4th clip).

James Dean

I concur with James on the clip position with the DVP needle #5 seems a little rich. Again I went to the 50 PJ, however, this was after I stopped using VP C-12--while using the race gas I was using a 48PJ. It makes since to me that I would have to richen the jetting on pump gas. I still feel the richer low end jetting I'm now using is related to the Vortex ignition vs stock. But as a additional comment STROKER recommends a 50PJ.

Clark