HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bakemono

Thinking about a 450

2 posts in this topic

Hey all. Im thinking about getting a YZ 450F in the near future. Im 5'10" tall and weight about 200 pounds. Im a novice rider, but I have experience with quads (last summer I had an '06 Yamaha YFZ 450 with a pipe and jet kit and sold it because I was bored with the performance) and last fall I had an '96 YZ 250F which I ended up selling over concerns with durability.

Im looking into getting back into riding dirtbikes and eventually doing some local amateur racing.

Im leaning towards a 450 because everyone says that if you take care of them they pretty much run forever, but Im wonder if maybe it would be too much bike for me.

Like I said, I had an '06 YFZ 450 that had a pipe, jet kit and the airbox lid removed and honestly, I didnt think it was all that fast. Im used to riding 150 hp snowmobiles, so a 40 hp quad was kind of a step down in performance for me. I rode my YFZ on a friend's motocross track and I had the track pretty much dialed in, but I was still bored with the performance of my quad.

I want to get back into riding dirtbikes, but at the same time I dont want something that Im going to have to invest a small fortune in just to keep it running and thats why Im kind of leary about another 250F.

With my background in riding snowmobiles and ATVs, do you think that a YZ 450F would be something that I could grow into or do you think I should get another 250F, ride that for 5 years and then go to a 450?

The only person I know who had a 450 is a friend of mine, and his is an '08 and I dare not even ask to ride it because right now that bike is his baby and if I layed it down and scuffed up his new plastic, well, lets just say that he wouldnt be too happy.

Anyways, lemmie know what you guys think. I think Id be able to start out slow and grow into the power of the 450 and Im pretty sure it would be a bike that would last a long, long time but Id like to hear from some people who own these bikes.

Thanks in advance...

I regularly ride with 4 other guys who have yzf450 quads. I used to ride a 250f and would switch it up with my buddies all the time just for some difference, as i used to always ride quads. Now I've sold my 250f and am riding a 450. I always compared the power of the 450 quad to my 250f. IMO my new 06 450 feels like it has twice the power of my 250f AND the 450 quads. I highly doubt you'll be bored with the performance of a yz450f and reliability is amazing. pick up a cheap 07 while you still can!