Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
martinfan30

degree wheel

9 posts in this topic

I didn't use one for my install.

You really need an adjustable cam sprocket in order to degree in a cam. For the XR you would need to get your sprocket holes slotted. XR's only does this. For racing, it might be good to get.

I can tell you from experience, the hot cams makes a huge difference in the power and the engine's ability to rev. Night and day!

MGS

did you use stonger/new rockers? how about springs? my bike has 6k. miles. did you do a piston at same time? i already have e2 series slip on, ground down the header welds, and use a fcr 41 pumper. so it is already breathing good, looking forward to feeling the power! doing just a cam and not a hicomp. piston at same time be ok? any other advise or recomended parts to do this right is appreciated. thanks!

I did:

Weisco 10.25:1 Piston.

Hot Cams

Port and Polish

5 Angle Valve Job

Yoshi header

FMF Q2 can

Edelbrock first now FCR

Pretty much all done at the same time. I wouldn't use Cometic gaskets again, they leak. The motor is completely different, no low end, tons of power up top.

I've been told the front will come up in 4th, never tried it myself.

Starting without auto decomp is not an issue. I run a smaller than stock battery and it has lasted the past three years and never failed to start the bike.

Next will be a big bore 675 or maybe the 715 kit from LA Sleeve , but that requires boring the cases.

Good luck with your mods, it is worth it.

MGS

so you left the stock v. springs and rockers in? or just new oem springs/rockers?

Valve train is completely stock, the bike had roughly 5000 miles on it when the upgrades were made. I haven't had any of the accelerated wear problems others have reported in the past 5000 miles.

I don't see the need for aftermarket springs, the engine's rev ceiling has not changed so valve float shouldn't be a problem.

If the rockers are in good shape, they can be reused. If the bike has many miles on it and the rockers are showing considerable wear, then they should be replaced.

MGS

Valve train is completely stock, the bike had roughly 5000 miles on it when the upgrades were made. I haven't had any of the accelerated wear problems others have reported in the post 5000 miles.

I don't see the need for aftermarket springs, the engine's rev ceiling has not changed so valve float shouldn't be a problem.

If the rockers are in good shape, they can be reused. If the bike has many miles on it and the rockers are showing considerable wear, then they should be replaced.

MGS

ive got 6k miles. just have to check em when i open er up! hey thanks for the help!:thumbsup: