06 450 handles badly: what triple clamps?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went from an '03 to an '06. The first weekend i rode, i couldn't get the '06 to handle very well. I raised my fork tubes and turned in my compression two clicks, and tilted my bars forward to about 1.5 setting. Yesterday i noticed quite a difference. I'm not saying it's there yet, but there was a DEFINITE difference in the handling. the bike would stay planted in any rut i put it in on any inside line. (i have 756's F/R)

I used to be an ok C-class rider at my best (last year sometime), but am now definitely back to beginner level. however, i do agree that most people tend to blame their bikes too quickly and few people will actually admit "well, my form could use alot more work too".

I'm going to raise my fork tubes again a bit and am considering the $600 RG3 triple clamps. however, before i drop $600, i want to see if i can be satisfied by making just regular adjustments.

i think sometimes people read an article written by guys who can scrub a 90 foot triple and think they have the same problems as them. :blah:

Getting your suspension done will make your bike turn a lot better, as well as a good front tire properly inflated. When you start getting faster, you'll be comming back and telling everyone how your bike doesn't turn well. That's when the triple clamps should be a consideration. You'll be fine until then or maybe you'll never get to this point.

Bottom line: I think most here would suggest exhausting your available options before going full bore with T-Clamps. And you have quite a few solid improvements you can make before going this route.?

Getting your suspension done will make your bike turn a lot better, as well as a good front tire properly inflated. When you start getting faster, you'll be comming back and telling everyone how your bike doesn't turn well. That's when the triple clamps should be a consideration. You'll be fine until then or maybe you'll never get to this point.

Bottom line: I think most here would suggest exhausting your available options before going full bore with T-Clamps. And you have quite a few solid improvements you can make before going this route.?

Ya its true you can tweak it, but the bottom line is it still wont turn.

Lets do this one more time and let it be over with? 1. taller bars 2.taller seat [best improvment] 3. front tire [no brainer] 4. raise forks [i like 10mm] 5.set sag a little higher [i like 95mm] 6. triple clamps some say 24 some 22 I have 22s and they were a good improvemrnt.With all these things done this bike corners great compared to stock.I let guys at the track that have new 07s take my bike for a few laps and they come in very surprised. I let a guy bolt my tall seat on his own bike [he was a little skeptical] and I watched him do a few laps he rode better right off the bat. he could not beleive the differance.

Lets do this one more time and let it be over with? 1. taller bars 2.taller seat [best improvment] 3. front tire [no brainer] 4. raise forks [i like 10mm] 5.set sag a little higher [i like 95mm] 6. triple clamps some say 24 some 22 I have 22s and they were a good improvemrnt.With all these things done this bike corners great compared to stock.I let guys at the track that have new 07s take my bike for a few laps and they come in very surprised. I let a guy bolt my tall seat on his own bike [he was a little skeptical] and I watched him do a few laps he rode better right off the bat. he could not beleive the differance.

What taller seat are you running??

thanks

good summary. i'd like to know more info on the seat too. sounds like a good/cheap(er) mod!

good summary. i'd like to know more info on the seat too. sounds like a good/cheap(er) mod!

I got the SDG tall .It is the complete seat you just bolt it on and go. The stock seat puts you to far back on the bike. If you look at your bike from the side and compare it to a crf or rmz or even a yz250 2 stroke you will see what i mean the neutral riding position on these bikes is already on the tank. Now look at the Yz450and even the 250f you will see what I mean. It is way better with this seat on. It gets you right up on the tank and your weight on the front tire. I don't think it will an issue for shorter guys accept for mabe starts sure the seat hight is a lttle higher and with the sag cranked at 95 ....but who cares? it handles way better. Just go buy one and Don't forget the ride report.

My 06 felt like the fork was riding a bit high while cornering, imbalance between the front and rear midcorner- when revalving I softened the front midrange to smooth out the action for rocks, roots etc in my woods riding and noticed the front end was sticking much better while hunkered down a bit. Combine this with a good front tire for your terrain and raising the fork tubes makes my 06 much better. Next time my forks are apart I might try shorteneing the travel 3/8 - 1/2" and see what happens. Just my .02

Stefan Everts didn't have much trouble making mincemeat out of the best Euro riders his last year racing on this basic bike - modified less than any other race bike he over owned he said, usual works suspension, factory crank,rod piston and head was basically all that was done.

My 06 felt like the fork was riding a bit high while cornering, imbalance between the front and rear midcorner- when revalving I softened the front midrange to smooth out the action for rocks, roots etc in my woods riding and noticed the front end was sticking much better while hunkered down a bit. Combine this with a good front tire for your terrain and raising the fork tubes makes my 06 much better. Next time my forks are apart I might try shorteneing the travel 3/8 - 1/2" and see what happens. Just my .02

Stefan Everts didn't have much trouble making mincemeat out of the best Euro riders his last year racing on this basic bike - modified less than any other race bike he over owned he said, usual works suspension, factory crank,rod piston and head was basically all that was done.

Imagine what he would do on an 08.

Langston will be a top contender now. Wait and see. He killed it at Washougal and was amazing at the X Games.

I got the SDG tall .It is the complete seat you just bolt it on and go. The stock seat puts you to far back on the bike. If you look at your bike from the side and compare it to a crf or rmz or even a yz250 2 stroke you will see what i mean the neutral riding position on these bikes is already on the tank. Now look at the Yz450and even the 250f you will see what I mean. It is way better with this seat on. It gets you right up on the tank and your weight on the front tire. I don't think it will an issue for shorter guys accept for mabe starts sure the seat hight is a lttle higher and with the sag cranked at 95 ....but who cares? it handles way better. Just go buy one and Don't forget the ride report.

How tall are you?

I don't think it will an issue for shorter guys accept for maybe starts sure the seat hight is a little higher and with the sag cranked at 95 ....but who cares?
At 5' 5" tall, the stock seat is too tall! I've shaved mine down 1" and it helped. Who cares?? Well, part of the reason I'm thinking of selling the bike is the height- it's just too tall.

i was just looking through the loretta lynns results for the motocross classes.

while there are yam's here and there in the top 10, plenty of suz's and kaw's, it seems like the majority of people are running crf's.

http://live.tracksideonlineresults.com/class.asp?s=&c=5&e=1

so, as horrible as the yzf is in the cornering dept, and as great as the suzuki is, seems the best all-arounder (as per results by top riders, which is IMHO, the best indicator) is the CRF.

i'm sensitive to the fact taht results could be skewed a certain % tho because of sponsorships.

just another perspective into the handling conversations on the yam.

it kinda says something when i don't see hardly any yamis in the tops.

i still like my '06 tho. at leat until she's paid off. :-)

Has anybody tried simply adjusting the bars farther forward? Or mounting them farther forward with an adjustable mount upper clamp?

I quite often get a sensation of falling back and having to hold on or not being able to get up over the bars enough when standing...

This is from info I just got from the '08 manual. The '08 has the same head angle as the '07 (slightly steeper than the '06) but has 1.1mm more trail. This indicates that it has a 24mm clamp offset, same as the Euro models of the '06/'07 did. With all the talk about how the '08 turns so much better, that's what the difference in geometry would appear to be.

It's important to understand that those measurements are made with the bike standing still, and cornering is a much more dynamic event. Suspension does play a major part in it; springs, sag, valving, and rider position.

At 5' 5" tall, the stock seat is too tall! I've shaved mine down 1" and it helped. Who cares?? Well, part of the reason I'm thinking of selling the bike is the height- it's just too tall.

I hear ya...that is why you should consider a lowering link.....they are made specifically for you vertically challenged folks. The 03 - 05 are taller than the 06 -08s and my 03 has a tall seat on it

How tall are you?

I am a little under 6'2 maybe a little less from all the years of runniing and construction,... and moto. I don't know I cannot say how it would work for guys that could be in a fantasy island reunion but it sure as hell works for me. It puts you right on the tank I don't see how that would not help a shorter guy in the mid to high 5s I am 6'2 but my legs are from Abruzzo!

Has anybody tried simply adjusting the bars farther forward? Or mounting them farther forward with an adjustable mount upper clamp?

I quite often get a sensation of falling back and having to hold on or not being able to get up over the bars enough when standing...

The taller seat is great for that as there is alot more to sqeeze with you are glued to the bike . Guys on the fence should just go buy one. Hey did'nt that guy do I can't drive 55' I can't drive 55 live,and I can't drive 55 revisited? Just f..in with you bro Montrose great "tune" Diamond Dave all the way [old stuff that is]