06 450 handles badly: what triple clamps?

OK, now you made me get out my calculator and run some numbers. With a 27 degree head angle, decreasing the offset by 1mm will raise the head about 3mm, which, absent any other changes would increase the head angle (from vertical) roughly 0.05 degrees.

Besides, increasing the head angle makes it more prone to push, not less.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. When they're testing all these different offsets, to do a proper test, I think they should really be keeping the head angle the same by using one of those "angle thingy's" and sliding the forks through a bit.

When changing to a different offset has anybody noticed an increased tendency of the bike to develop headshake?

I would like to make my '06 a little more nimble (like my RM250) but not so much that I would be willing to develop headshake. I don't mind a little oversteer (prefer it to pushing) but I hate headshake!

Yep, and I hate headshake too, I've tried sliding the forks up to the 5mm mark like everyone else seems to be doing, but I actually prefer to run my forks flush at the top, and I'm using a damper too!

Man MXA really beats up on the 07 in this months edition...no triple clamp will help it apparently....lets all sell our yamis :p

I'm beginning to think that the difference between the YZF450 and the CRF and RMZ may have something to do with the fork action and maybe even the shock action combined with it(you could argue that the YZ250 uses the same stuff, but then again it's also a lighter bike). Would it be possible to do a test by shoving a CRF's forks and wheel into stock YZ450F clamps??? I'd like to see it done, just to rule out the possibility.

I'm not complaining, I'm happy with my bike the way it is, and would rather spend money on a model upgrade than triple clamps.

I'm beginning to think that the difference between the YZF450 and the CRF and RMZ may have something to do with the fork action and maybe even the shock action combined with it...Would it be possible to do a test by shoving a CRF's forks and wheel into stock YZ450F clamps??? I'd like to see it done, just to rule out the possibility.
See what happens when you don't sleep?

:rant: Maybe it's too much sleep? I'm on holidays at the moment and I get plenty of sleep usually.

So, you don't think the fork action could have anything to do with everyone complaining about the steering push? The YZF450F forks are apparently stiffer(springs included) than the CRF's, and stiffer compression gives you less grip in the corners. I backed off my compression to 14 out for trail-riding and I reckon it helped a lot, I was happy with the steering even with the forks flush in the clamps.

well this is debatable.....I hope you realize, I tried everything with the suspension (midvalve)and did not get the bike where I needed it. Clicker settings, revalves springs.....I settled with triple clamps(06) and link (03) with suspension matched to these parts.

This just shows there is not one fix all that works for everyone or else the factories could make everyone happy out of the crate. On my 05 I first took off the clamps then the link when I realized I was running a lot of sag to be happy with it. Getting the suspension right was the thing that made it turn for me. My son was even having some issues with his 07 with the longer rear shock. We tested enough to get it set up right and have not even unpacked the clamps. These bikes are getting so sensitive that a couple of mm's can really make a difference.

And I thought running a rear tire on the front was strange:p

And I thought running a rear tire on the front was strange:p

I've actually done that too on an old '77 YZ80 'cause the shop didn't have a front tyre to fit the rim diameter, it actually worked quite well, plenty of grip! Edit: I just realised, you must've dug up an old post of mine! Touche!

:rant: Maybe it's too much sleep? I'm on holidays at the moment and I get plenty of sleep usually.
Yeah, Mate, but you've got posts from either midnight and 2:00 AM or 2 and 4 your time, and here you're up in the early afternoon. :shocked:
So, you don't think the fork action could have anything to do with everyone complaining about the steering push?
It does make a difference, but most folks here think the CRF feels stiffer or harsher than the YZ unless it's ridden really hard, while the YZ is more supple in a wider range of situations. The 3 bikes you name have different steering geometry, too.

I think it has to do with a lot of things, not the least of which is rider, style, and the ability to adapt.

Yeah, Mate, but you've got posts from either midnight and 2:00 AM or 2 and 4 your time, and here you're up in the early afternoon. :shocked: .

:applause: You're not a TT Moderator, you're a Super Moderator! I hope you're getting paid for being a moderator, you're more keen than most people I work with, and they get paid!!!

It does make a difference, but most folks here think the CRF feels stiffer or harsher than the YZ unless it's ridden really hard.

MXA mag says that the CRF forks feel harsher because the springs are too soft and it dives into the mid compression stroke too early/easily. But, this would also give the head a steeper angle for quicker turning.

But, But...MXA is a Yamaha shill, aren't they? "Everyone" says so. :cool:

It is an interesting article...states that several testers from Yami and Honda all tried 24mm, 22mm, 17mm and Axle thing recluse. Typical MXAtest...separate testers and no communication before results given

In MXA after all results were tallied, the vote was none of these were the solid ticket to get rid of the front end push on the 07....they each worked at different parts of the corner. They did agree the 24mm were the better of all the clamps for all around unless you just were a YZF hater...then go 17mm but with caviots...rememeber this is for the 07. They could not get the push completely out ...and offered that for the YZF haters...a CRF would be the option. Typical MXA...:excuseme:

Also worth noting they state that Team Yamaha is using the Stock offset for 07 at 25mm......

I spoke to DRD about this and since the 06 is different than the 07 the 24mm are the ticket......:thumbsup:

I spoke to DRD about this and since the 06 is different than the 07 the 24mm are the ticket......:thumbsup:

They say this to anyone that calls. They read it off a sheet. :naughty:

I wouldn't use the 24's personally.:blah:

I just rode the RMZ450 today and all I have to say is WOW. Now thats a bike that turns! Once I put my 22mm clamps on my YZ, I hope it turns like that.

I just rode the RMZ450 today and all I have to say is WOW. Now thats a bike that turns! Once I put my 22mm clamps on my YZ, I hope it turns like that.

Yah, they will turn you right down to the ground if you don't watch it. Ok for a few laps but watch out late in the moto.

They say this to anyone that calls. They read it off a sheet. :naughty:

I wouldn't use the 24's personally.:blah:

Then don't ...But for me they are the ticket...it is a personal preference my friend, one size does not fit all.......it all depends where you want the best turn in at what part of the corner....begin....apex or middle or end....the 24 gives me the best turn in at most every part of the corner....:applause:

Then don't ...But for me they are the ticket...it is a personal preference my friend, one size does not fit all.......it all depends where you want the best turn in at what part of the corner....begin....apex or middle or end....the 24 gives me the best turn in at most every part of the corner....:applause:

For me, I need a more aggressive offset. Glad the 24's work for you, guy.

Can you let us know how the 22's work out.

Before you shell out quite a bit of dough.....put a Pirelli Scorpion Pro front tire on. The stock 739 on my 04' was horrible.....switched to a 756, and definitely was an improvement. Went to the Pirelli Scorpion Pro, and what a difference. I was always nervous running the Dunlops on flat, hardpack, turns...it never felt trustworthy, and I was always leery of wash-out. When I switched to the Pirelli, it turned like a new bike.

p.s. No, I don't work for Pirelli.

Before you shell out quite a bit of dough.....put a Pirelli Scorpion Pro front tire on. The stock 739 on my 04' was horrible.....switched to a 756, and definitely was an improvement. Went to the Pirelli Scorpion Pro, and what a difference. I was always nervous running the Dunlops on flat, hardpack, turns...it never felt trustworthy, and I was always leery of wash-out. When I switched to the Pirelli, it turned like a new bike.

agreed any better front tire helps..but they still have issues after this and raising forks

I don't work for Bridgestone, but the 401a has worked pretty well for myself. Much better than a wore 756 that is~ I'm done with Dunlop's for a while.

The 401 is a good tire. IMO, a NEW 756 works better in a narrow range of true intermediate soil types, but the 'Stone works better over a wider range and wears much better. The 756 wears way too fast for a front tire. I don't see an excuse for it.

I do, however find that two of the newer Dunlops, the 745 and the 742FA, work better than that. The 745 for hard to soft/int, and the 742FA for a softer soil range up to fairly hard.

the 03's do handle crappy compared to the 06's, im actually selling my 03 so i can get a 06 haha

i went from an '03 to an '06. The first weekend i rode, i couldn't get the '06 to handle very well. I raised my fork tubes and turned in my compression two clicks, and tilted my bars forward to about 1.5 setting. Yesterday i noticed quite a difference. I'm not saying it's there yet, but there was a DEFINITE difference in the handling. the bike would stay planted in any rut i put it in on any inside line. (i have 756's F/R)

I used to be an ok C-class rider at my best (last year sometime), but am now definitely back to beginner level. however, i do agree that most people tend to blame their bikes too quickly and few people will actually admit "well, my form could use alot more work too".

I'm going to raise my fork tubes again a bit and am considering the $600 RG3 triple clamps. however, before i drop $600, i want to see if i can be satisfied by making just regular adjustments.

i think sometimes people read an article written by guys who can scrub a 90 foot triple and think they have the same problems as them. :blah: