HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mr426

02 yz426 White Brothers E series Question need help!

11 posts in this topic

Hi, i just got my 02 426. its mostly stock but has the WB e series muffler. i do trail riding so i am looking for good low to mid range power but the guy i got it from did mostly wide open desert riding. this is my first 4 stroke. my question is, what is the deal with the plates on the muffler? what would be a good number of plates for trail riding? i think there is 6 or 7 now but im not with the bike at this time. thanks for any help! oh, also what is a good front and rear sprocket tooth combination for low to mid torque?

Hi, i just got my 02 426. its mostly stock but has the WB e series muffler. i do trail riding so i am looking for good low to mid range power but the guy i got it from did mostly wide open desert riding. this is my first 4 stroke. my question is, what is the deal with the plates on the muffler? what would be a good number of plates for trail riding? i think there is 6 or 7 now but im not with the bike at this time. thanks for any help! oh, also what is a good front and rear sprocket tooth combination for low to mid torque?

I use stock gearing for woods riding. (14/49) Adding a tooth or two on the rear may help you.

The WB pipe is a good low end/mid-range pipe. 6 or 7 plates should be sufficient.

thanks for all the info. so what is the least/most plates you can run? and what is the effect of running less/more plates? thanks again.

Least would be none. Big hit power with no plates installed. Most would be around 12-13 plates. From what I have seen, the more open (less plates) the more hit and response. The more plates, better low-end and torque.

when i got my 400 with an "e" already on it, it had 7 plates. My main complaint was it was way loud. I also got a manual on the silencer in the paperwork I got with the bike. They recomend a minimun of 4 plates to equal the flow of a stock pipe. As you add discs you add top end, and sound, as you subtract you add low end and less sound. I have a db meter and mine yz400f with 7 plates was 94db at idle and would blink 100db with any throttle. I am running mine with 4 plates and it is 91db now. and my ears don't ring after riding it. I trail ride mine all the time and it is 14/51 and no complaints.

i forgot to mention that i have the spark arrestor in it so if ther were 0 plates wouldnt ther be no place for the exhaust to come out? is only using 4 plates gonna cause too much back pressure?

4 is what i run in mine and it has the arrestor also.

and correct, you could not run 0 with the arrestor.

mine was just way too loud with 7.

so 4 with the arrestor would give me better low end hit than my 7 that i have now? thanks for all the help!!!

thats the way i read it. if i had a scanner here I would scan it and send you a copy, but I don't. I did not notice a lot of change from the 7 to the 4 except the noise level. Don't know if you have to meet and db level to ride where you are. We only trail ride, so if I lost any top end, I don't miss it.

ya, same here, i just notice that my power hits on top and i always have to wind it up pretty good so i think 4 plates and a 14/51 gearing just might make it perfect for me. we have some sound restrictions but not too harsh.

I cant help you with the E pipe part of you question, but as far as the gearing, I run 14/52 on the trail and love it, just hang on, because it really comes on quick. I run an FMF power core with a spark arrestor and it has much better low and midrange power than the stocker.

Mike