HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ben_suhard

Swingarm pivot nut gone awol '06 YZ450F

8 posts in this topic

The nut on my swingarm pivot bolt has gone awol. Yeah, I know, this one's a beauty; hard to believe, but true. I greased everything up and didn't check the nut until it was too late. :bonk: Next time, it's getting the loctite treatment, which is what I should have done the first time.:banghead:Anyway, does anyone know if the hole in the frame that the bolt goes through on the left hand side is larger than the bolt, or is it a tight fit?

well the hole can't be to tight as you have to use a socket to crank the nut now...but with the socket in there, then there isn't much room left...

oh...haha. from what i remember on my dad's 06 it was a pretty snug fit. but that was a while ago so i'm basically useless. sorry.

Same size as the bolt plus a smidge for clearance. Why is that an issue?

Sounds like you need to adopt one of the professional practices I learned (the hard way) over the years, to wit: All fasteners are either off of the bike or they are tight.

Don't go sticking a bunch of bolts and nuts on things and leave the loose 'til later except where you need to, like all the bolts in a sprocket, or an engine cover, etc. Wherever it makes sense, put stuff together and tighten it up. I've seen many, many times where stuff just like this happens. Some of them pretty scary stories, too.

Same size as the bolt plus a smidge for clearance. Why is that an issue?

Sounds like you need to adopt one of the professional practices I learned (the hard way) over the years, to wit: All fasteners are either off of the bike or they are tight.

Well, I was wondering if the hole had been enlarged by the bolt moving around, considering it's only aluminium. It looks like it's larger than it should be. I'm wondering if I should weld a sleeve in there, or maybe even use something like a helicoil or timesert(and drill out the inner threads of course)? It may be difficult to make sure it's centred.

I've got some thin aluminium tubing that's about the same size as needed, I could probably slide it in there as a sleeve and the washer and nut would hold it in place.

Yeah, I must've not had the nut tight enough or forgot about tightening it.:excuseme: I also neglected to check it when I checked the other nuts and bolts, I overlooked it.

Well, I was wondering if the hole had been enlarged by the bolt moving around, considering it's only aluminium. It looks like it's larger than it should be.
If the bore has been damaged, it should not be uniformly round. Check that.

If the bore has been damaged, it should not be uniformly round. Check that.

I thought it was round at first, but it looks like the bolt has been pushing forward and down(diagonally). I can't even get the bolt to push through, it'll move in and out a few millimetres(easily) but the head won't go further than the frame(it's not getting stuck on the frame, and it does twist). It seems to be getting caught where the bearings are, I'm guessing. I've been going at it pretty hard with the bfh(I've got a bolt sitting inside it and have been hitting the head of that bolt with the bfh and a big chisel. All that is happening is that bolt head is getting a big cut in it ). I've got the bike on it's side with the shock disconnected from the linkage, the swingarm can wiggle and I've sprayed a heap of WD40 on the pivot bolt, hoping it'll loosen everything up(and I had greased the bolt shaft when I fitted it). I'll leave it over night. The nut's no doubt been missing for a few rides, so I was thinking that somehow the bolt has been mis-shaped and is getting caught(but I think it should have given by now). Hopefully it's seized inside a bearing or spacer and will eventually come loose.:excuseme: I've heard of some people having to use a press to get the bolt out, so I'm thinking of using a puller to get it to push through. What a mess!