is this normal??

so i finally finished working on my 03 yz450f i bought..fired it up 2night in my garage and the pipe was firey red! pretty cool!..and then once the bike warmed up and i adjusted the idle back down..i was hitting the throttle a little and a 6 inch flame shot out the back of the muffler..is that normal? the bike had been sitting a while..any help? thanx-josh

Your jetting maybe a little on the lean side.......When I say jetting I mean the jet needle. You may want to take the jet needle out and put it in the #4clip position,start at the top of the needle and count the # of rings down and see where the clip is at,if it is not in the #4 then try it there to see if it takes that fire shooting out the exhaust out. I bought a DRD full exhaust system for my 06 and had the same problem.When I gave it gas fire would shoot out the exhaust about three feet. So I had to richen up the jet needle a bit.......just one clip position. Hope this helps out

thanx! and yes..it was in the dark so i could see the light of the pipe very well..and i had just put a new plug an doil and radiator on the bike..maybe it just needed to wake up! haha..-josh