valve Clearances

Has anyone needed to adjust their valve clearances ?

My '00 WR400 has done 700km and when warm sounds a little rattley at the top end - not excessive , but rattely nonetheless.

i changed the oil and filter at 80km, 200km, 350km , 500 km, and 650km . I have been using Putoline SYNTEC 4+ and have only just started to open the beast up after running in.

Is it worth getting the valve clearances checked or am I paranoid ???

Andy Baker

Birmingham uk

Hey Andy,

Well the first mistake you made is in waiting so long to open her up. (Just Kidding) I ran my WR for 600 miles and the dealer said bring it back in at that time for a valve adjustment among other things. So, it sounds like your due.

Originally posted by Kenwood:

Hey Andy,

Well the first mistake you made is in waiting so long to open her up. (Just Kidding) I ran my WR for 600 miles and the dealer said bring it back in at that time for a valve adjustment among other things. So, it sounds like your due.

Thanks for the reply

Did your dealer adjust the valves or just check them ?

My local dealer deals with loads of WR400s , but cant give me a price to adjust them as they have never done one before - they reckon you dont have to touch them ?

What do you think

It's not that hard to pull the valve cover and check the clearance yourself. I have raced a YZF for a year without needing to change valve shims. The clearance was virtually unchanged.

Your'e right - I think i'll just have a fiddle myself and see what the clearances are , then take it from there.

thanks for your input

Andy

Originally posted by Scott F:

It's not that hard to pull the valve cover and check the clearance yourself. I have raced a YZF for a year without needing to change valve shims. The clearance was virtually unchanged.