HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XDAB

Oil Check Bolt vs. Oil Tank Plug

4 posts in this topic

I'm short circuiting here. When you do an oil change ('07 WR450) and get the level right where it needs to be on the plug's level mark how come when you then remove the oil check bolt to drain off any small excess it drains, and drains, and drains, and drains, etc.....

I can understand a small amount of drainage to level off but I'm talking about a lot. If I drain the excess until it stops coming out then, if there's anything left in the crackcase, it wouldn't even show up on the plug mark. What's going on here?

:excuseme:

I'm short circuiting here. When you do an oil change ('07 WR450) and get the level right where it needs to be on the plug's level mark how come when you then remove the oil check bolt to drain off any small excess it drains, and drains, and drains, and drains, etc.....

I can understand a small amount of drainage to level off but I'm talking about a lot. If I drain the excess until it stops coming out then, if there's anything left in the crackcase, it wouldn't even show up on the plug mark. What's going on here?

:excuseme:

This is what I do for the very reasons you have listed above. With the filler cap and dip stick removed, completely drain the bike - left and right drain bolts, oil level bolt, oil filter housing. Let the bike stand for 15 minutes or so to completely drain - tip the bike to the left side and hold for a while and do the same on the right side. Then I add 1 liter of oil (1 quart if I don't change the filter) and forget about it for the next 200 miles and then repeat the process.

I've found the dip stick and oil level bolt readings too ambiguous and non-repeatable to be worth worrying about.

I appreciate the workaround, and I'll probably resort to it, but I'm still puzzled. Anybody explain what the heck I'm missing?

Just use SXP's method, measure in the correct amount of oil, run the bike and let it sit on level ground for the 3 minutes and then check the level on the dipstick. Now you will have a reference point. Two things , the oil level bolts have been notoriously inaccurate for many years and the engine is a dry sump design anyway so you have to run it to get the oil into the sump to check the level. Once this is done go ride :ride: WR Dave.