Revisited: Best Tires for a "L"

I have searched every forum I could find (and there are a lot of them), for tire recommendations since my stock TrailWings started looking pretty bad after 3K miles. A lot of the responses were from people who were "getting ready" to try a certain tire or were "going to try" a certain tire combination. A lot of the responses, understandably, had to do with how they were going to be used. I tried to get a concensus on the different tires, but it always seemed that there were just as many people saying they were great ? as there were saying that they sucked.?

I posted a thread asking for hand grip recommendations and the response was great! :applause: (ProGrips won by the way - they should arrive this week) So, I thought I might try it with tires...

I do ride a lot of street miles, but I also do a bunch of mud, hard-pack, trails, etc. The tires I've seen that are more designed for the road, don't have an agressive enough tread (IMO) for good off-road use. I wouldn't mind running knobbies (DOT or non-DOT) if I could get some decent mileage out of 'em.:banghead:

So, what I'm asking for is ANY comments on ANY tire that you have used - good, bad, or otherwise. I've been looking at D606's, Kenda K270's, TKC80's, etc. I've read a few good things about Mefo tires :excuseme: but it looks like they are only available from one source and expensive.

Any comments, suggestions, complaints, recommendations, where to buy, etc. will be helpful. Thanks!

I have Dunlop 606, they were on when i got the bike and i have 1000 miles all street so far and they got at leasy 500 more so im figuing there good for 2k or more depending on how and where (city/hwy) you ride. There prolly the top rated knobbie on here for best all around tire.

I just orderd the Mefo's, if you take in consideration that you should get almost double the mileage, they are not expensive at all.

Let me know when you get your Mefo's will ya and what you think of 'em? I forgot, which ones did you order?

The explorers jon.

I really can't see how I won't like them after reading so much postive comments about them .

Not sure if you saw this post or not?

Comments (in links) on 1st post and scroll down a ways (#9 post I think) for more comments which also includes feedback on all kinds of tires. ?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532191&highlight=mefo

Will leave you know for sure though of my findings. Seems I'm about the only one that will be running them on here?

Heck, I cruise sometimes 3-500 miles in a weekend, so most other tires would be gone in no time!

Presently running a set of Mefos. Great on pavement, hardpack, and loose gravel. Somewhat squirlly on deep gravel. Won't be much good in mud? Haven't been cut in sharp rocks. Used with rim locks so I can drop pressure for off road. Much better all around for me than D 606 or T-wings. Mileage should be much better also.

Chris

Presently running a set of Mefos. Great on pavement, hardpack, and loose gravel. Somewhat squirlly on deep gravel. Won't be much good in mud? Haven't been cut in sharp rocks. Used with rim locks so I can drop pressure for off road. Much better all around for me than D 606 or T-wings. Mileage should be much better also.

Chris

A newbie with top notch tires, way to go clfarren ?

It would be great to see your bike with them on, possible?

I heard they do pretty decent in mud, for what they are.

What pressure do you use for the road, I think I heard at least 25lbs ?

If you don't know how to post pictures, let me know, you can send them to me and I'll put them on. I'll PM you my emil address if so. I'm really anxious to see them on a 650.

I just orderd the Mefo's, if you take in consideration that you should get almost double the mileage, they are not expensive at all.

What model did you order? I see they are about 90 - 100 $US each but I like the looks of them. I have an 86' XL600R with MT21's that are 10 years old on it and used to be studded for ice. The MFE 99 loks like a great on road tire. Doug

What model did you order? I see they are about 90 - 100 $US each but I like the looks of them. I have an 86' XL600R with MT21's that are 10 years old on it and used to be studded for ice. The MFE 99 loks like a great on road tire. Doug

The Explorers.

I think they will make a fantastic tire on the road too. Ther are not easy to get, so if you want some, better inquire if they have them in stock.

I got them from here, should be here very soon.

http://www.klr650.com/MEFO%20Sport%20Tires.htm

Very meaty yet not too aggressive for the road. They did a good dirt/street balancing act when designing them I think.

mefo2.jpg

I have been running Mefo Explorers on my XR650l and really like them. I put a lot of miles on the highway at 0-80mph and in all temps. Try and get on dirt and mud any and every chance I can. Now have 3900 miles on my Mefos and still have life left. I am tough on tires and find these are a great 50:50 tire. No, not the BEST at either but pretty darned good at each. Very stable and confidence inspiring on the road and quiet and smooth even at high speed. Got mine at KLR650.com and they can be tough to find in stock. Order before you need them. Great on hardpack and rocks and pretty decent in the mud. You need to keep your rear wheel revs up in the mud to keep them clear :ride:

They do have a tendency to slide in deep gravel or sloppy wet mud. Not bad in grass. I liked mine enough that I got another set before these were even toast! Go Mefo and don't look back.

newshoesMEFOExplorers.jpg

MEFO3700mivsnewb.jpg

MEFO3700mivsnew.jpg

dirtyxrl2.jpg

XRblacktank.jpg

When they get mudded up like this, keep your revs up to clear the tread!

dirtyxr.jpg

Click movie link of clearing mudded tread

http://photos.imageevent.com/peteh/motorcyclepics/PeteonXR.wmv

I have been running Mefo Explorers on my XR650l and really like them. I put a lot of miles on the highway at 0-80mph and in all temps. Try and get on dirt and mud any and every chance I can. Now have 3900 miles on my Mefos and still have life left. I am tough on tires and find these are a great 50:50 tire. No, not the BEST at either but pretty darned good at each. Very stable and confidence inspiring on the road and quiet and smooth even at high speed. Got mine at KLR650.com and they can be tough to find in stock. Order before you need them. Great on hardpack and rocks and pretty decent in the mud. You need to keep your rear wheel revs up in the mud to keep them clear :ride:

They do have a tendency to slide in deep gravel or sloppy wet mud. Not bad in grass. I liked mine enough that I got another set before these were even toast! Go Mefo and don't look back.

When they get mudded up like this, keep your revs up to clear the tread!

dirtyxr.jpg

Click movie link of clearing mudded tread

http://photos.imageevent.com/peteh/motorcyclepics/PeteonXR.wmv

? Great mefo report, Thank You! Great pic's too ?

So those pic's are the 3,900 mile ones? If so you should get 7000 easy ?

:busted: Like your fancy heat sheild.

On Off,

I'll agree with Huffa 2, great report and pics!

Those look like they would be great 50/50 tires, and great mileage too!

I am going to consider the Mefo Explorers for my style of riding.

Mefos are produced in Germany...

http://www.mefotyres.com/mtire_uk.htm

They do seem to have incredible tread life while still maintaining good grip both on and off road.

Click link below to see how nicely they do on the road :applause: One of my favorite set of twisties but unfortunately there was a boat anchor in the way. I was a gentleman and kept a comfortable distance, but the XR was angry about it :rant: Somewhere a Hardley guy is tellin stories of smokin a metric in the twisties :applause:

This is about a 5 meg clip and sorry to the slow dial ups.

http://photos.imageevent.com/peteh/motorcyclepics/HardleyslowindownXR650L.wmv

Couple pretty shots with MEFOS...

XR650Ldriveway.jpg

PHXR6501.jpg

lastrideb.jpg

lastridec.jpg

Hey, who keeps complaining XRs are too tall? I flat foot mine no problem and would like it higher :ride: Are there any raising links?

lastride.jpg

119.jpg

36.jpg

• Like 1