Oil??yz450f?

ok..so for trail riding.(normally only about 35-40 miles high speed)..how often would you suggest?

Using a quality synthetic like the Mobile 1 4T Racing or the Amsoil I'll go six to eight hours of riding time between changes. With a petroleum-based oil like Rotella I'll go four hours of riding time between changes.

Maybe the subject has been beat to death, but it's going to be harder to prove than some of you think. Before some of you start in on the new guys for asking this question, see if you can do a search for the subject yourself, and see what comes up. If you actually got the results you thought you should have, what search parameters did you use?

It's a reasonable concern, after all, and it's made all the more confusing by all the choices there are, each claiming to be the best, and by the fact that it's a far more complex subject than the TV ads would lead you to think. On top of that, there's a tremendous amount of misinformation, mythology, and just plain BS surrounding engine oils for motorcycles, so you can hardly blame someone for feeling a little uncertain.

What most people dislike about oil threads is that they have a tendency to turn into pissing matches or slap fests. The people who complain the loudest are sometimes the people who start the slapping. If you don't want to respond, just ignore the post. Otherwise, contribute something, even if it's just a link to your favorite oil thread. But how about let's take the example offered here, and, well....don't be a dick.

:cheers:

I Respectfully disagree...............I did it and I am just a dumb southern 45yr old redneck.....who can not even closely master motocross games on TV....unlike our younger generation that is tied to a computer from birth, has learned much more than me by clicking a search engine........:excuseme:

click search

click Advance search

type oil and Highlight YZf 400-450 forum

go

Every oil thread from the past 2 yrs or so is here for your blue 4....whatever yami

need more oil info...still not enough to get you lubed up ?:naughty:

Archive search oil...........every oil thread from the first day TT started is there....more info, both useful and non useful info, on oil viscosity, temps on breakdown, car oil vs bike oil etc......than Castrol engineering knows....as well as some very interesting and exciting oil master moments in "I know more than you know, I have a PHD in Oil Physics":prof:

And to someone elses point of why not to use search as things change over time.........go look at oil threads. Nothing has changed other than the brands that we use......and the names of experts that want to argue their phylosophy on oil molecular makeup.....and why this is better than that............

And it is always Rotella, Mobile 1 (multi colored caps) and now lately Amsoil......

Yes they usually turn into arguments and who is a molecular oil technologist......this is why I hate to see new threads on oil.....

it does get BORRRRIIINNNNGGGGGGGG and redundant:blah: :blah: :blah:

ah I feel so much better now

ok..so no one leave anymore replies then..because i already picked my oil..so thanx everyone

:applause: :applause: :applause:

it is ok bigwake - no problem. This story has been going on for years ...and will continue to go on....it just gives some of us a reason to rant and rave......what oil did you go with?

Whaleoil or Sealblubber oil?

I did it ....

click search

click Advance search

type oil and Highlight YZf 400-450 forum

go

Every oil thread from the past 2 yrs or so is here for your blue 4....whatever yami

The problem is that by searching "oil", in the first place, you only get 250 (that's the max returned on a search) threads, and these include anything that mentioned the word oil in the thread anywhere. Of those 250 threads, there were 9 that had to do with questions about a particular oil, including this one. There were another 7 or 8 regarding oil changes that were related to methodology, and another 5-7 of them about oil filters. If you add those in, you have barely 10% of all threads mentioning the word oil concerned with this topic, and only a third of those really address the question of what oil anybody recommends, and another fraction of that number that MIGHT cover the viscosity question that was really being asked here.

So, A) it isn't as easy to find that info with a search as some would make it sound, and B) a search on the subject doesn't really make it look like anything that's been beaten into the ground, unless you happen to find one of those really good ones from the old days. With that in mind, put yourself in the position of being new here, and what your reaction would be to the kind of response bigwake got. That's my point.

:cheers: