Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Henry

Do I have to tear down the engine?

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys, need some advices again :)

I just complete a race in a very muddy condition. The muddy water cover almost up to my bottom frame, I wonder if it sucks in those muddy water.

I fell and engine is dead, but I manage to fired it and finish the race.

When i came back, my friend told me that they saw water squirsting out of my silencer. And they saw white smoke coming out of my of my exhaust pipe.

Immendiately after the race, I change my engine oil thinking that the oil filter may choked up with muddy stuff, but it was clean!

Only some fine metal chips .

But I was caution that I better tear down my engine block to check the condition of piston and block.

But my bike still runs quieter than my pal wr400 who he never took part in the race!

Perhap I should check my plug? or open up the head cover to have a look?

What do you guys advice?

Thank! :D

I would pull the valve cover off. You will see your valve train. It is too easy a check to ignore it now. Might be a bummer later if your valves get ground up.

I sucked in DIRTY/MUDDY water into my breather hose that caused some engine damage. If the water was relatively clean, do as Bill recommends and change the oil/filter.

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 06-22-2000).]

If you were able to re-start the bike after only kicking it over and did not have to change plugs to re-start the bike. I would say you pulled very little, if any water into the motor. I say this also because you said the oil was clean when changed. If you did get water into the motor your oil would have milky.

Check the air box, clean the air filter, change the oil and ride for 5-10 minutes and pull the dipstick. If the oil is "milky", I would at this point consider a minor tear down of the motor. If it's clear I would check periodically during my next ride.

Bill

------------------

86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.