Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WhiteEagle78

After market Hot Start?

10 posts in this topic

The hot start button on my 98; yz400f is slightly bent, I think it might be stuck open ever so slightly. Are there any aftermarket companies that make a stronger/better hot start button? I know there are a few that make a handlebar mounted set up, but Im not interested in that. I dont think I have to use it enough to justify the price and possible hassle of moving it to the handle bars. id just like to find a stronger carb/frame monted hot start to set up..... anyone have any leads????

try an asv perch and lever combo. it is a bit pricey but ypou can get on off of ebay for about half of the normal price, it relocates the hotstart lever next the the kill button. In that position it is much less suceptable to damage. I think the Dr.d also makes a hotstart that replace the rotator clamp on the brake side. either of those would be a good choice

I Just put the zip-ty remote on my 1999 yz400f. Part no. hss0004. Works pretty good. It shows as a universal on the web site but fit perfect. It is a remote mount, and I looked around for a while for one that was not, but never found one. I have used my hot start once..... My original one was stuck shut and rode the bike for about six months and never used it, just hated to be without one.

try an asv perch and lever combo. it is a bit pricey but ypou can get on off of ebay for about half of the normal price, it relocates the hotstart lever next the the kill button. In that position it is much less suceptable to damage. I think the Dr.d also makes a hotstart that replace the rotator clamp on the brake side. either of those would be a good choice

Won't work on the 400/426 as the hot start knob is either frame or carb mounted. What you describe above will work on the 450s with the handlebar mounted hot start activation mechanism.

Won't work on the 400/426 as the hot start knob is either frame or carb mounted. What you describe above will work on the 450s with the handlebar mounted hot start activation mechanism.
The 400 has the the type you're thinking of that is basically a valve in a hose that leads to the intake port. The YZ426 (all of them) were carb mounted plungers.

The 400 has the the type you're thinking of that is basically a valve in a hose that leads to the intake port. The YZ426 (all of them) were carb mounted plungers.

I didn't know you could replace the plunger/knob with a cable on the 426s.

My original one was stuck shut and rode the bike for about six months and never used it, just hated to be without one.

I can't remember when I last used my hot start either. :excuseme:

I didn't know you could replace the plunger/knob with a cable on the 426s.

Dr.D has a complete kit that does that for the '00-'02 426 and the '01-'02 250F.

Hmmmm....

the more I invastigate the hot start button, the more it seems I might be able to get away with just plugging up the hole that goes into the intake port for now and not using a hot start at all until I can afford a nicer handlebar mounted one. I already sent the carb to zip ty for their mods and just got my tall/soft seat foam and competition seat cover from guts... so the extra $$$ has been spent for a while.

Just trail riding mine, no race situation, where starting it is not a timed event,

I think I could live without one. The zip ty does look cool though !!!!