02 WR426 questions

I own three WR426's that I use on my tours. They have 25,000, 23,000 and 19,000 mile on them respectively. NEVER had to do ANYTHING but change the oil and filters. I change the oil every tour, they average about 1000 miles. I use a Scotts stainless steel filter, expensive but you never have to buy another one. I run regualr oil so my oil changes run me about 3 dollars.

There is probably not a more reliable bike out there, XR600/650's and Suzuki 400 are in the same league.

My WR's do a lot better on jumps than my KTM's and for what you described the suspension should be fine unless you are 200 pounds plus and pretty fast.

Put a tall seat on them and it smoothes out the seat/tank junction.......

Good set of handlebars, skidplate, radiator protectors, enduro-engineering barkbusters and it is pretty well indestructible

Ditto byggd, but i have yet to do the decomp mod. It is no big deal starting mine I have the combination down pat, and for some odd reason I like it.....:applause: kinda makes me feel like if not anything else accomplished for the day at least I can still start the beast....:ride:

I never really had a problem with the starting drill either. I was looking for a way to tame the sometimes unpredictable mid range hit. If you use the YZ ex cam it makes the power more linear and pulls even harder top end :eek: and it makes it a lot easier to start if I stall on a hill climb :busted:

I have a 02 wr 426 couple years now bullet proof no problems carb needed to be cleaned once other than that no problems love the bike change oil every other ride & clean air filter average ride off road 85 miles:ride:

I have a 02 wr 426 couple years now bullet proof no problems carb needed to be cleaned once other than that no problems love the bike change oil every other ride & clean air filter average ride off road 85 miles:ride:

Ditto, woodshop, bullet proog here as well, some carb problems, but nothing I didnt cause myself...lol, and was able to cure. Change the oil regularly, and ride till you die. :ride:

Purchased an 02 in February and paid 2300$ for it. That was mint condition, still on the origional chain and sprockets. I don't know if you'll find a deal that good, but if you do, jump on it.

As far as issues, I know of none. My factory chain stretched like a rubber-band, and within 4 months needed replaced, but I think that's to be expected. Everything else has been bullet-proof.

I am going to street legalize mine here in Utah, and have no concerns. I run these fire-roads at 80+ mph without fear of hurting the motor. I change oil every three rides (about 300mi) of hard use in the dirt. Because it's a wet clutch, I wouldn't go longer than that when dirt riding, but if street/highway riding where your not using the clutch often, you can probably go much further.