New XR650L won't start help

Have a new XR650L, only put 40 miles on it and can't get it to start after sitting a month. Only mod is to remove smog stuff and it started and rode fine after that. I drained the bottom of the carb, bought and tried new plugs. Have tried the Honda flooded instructions, charged the batter. Just getting frustrated and need some ideas. My million year old TW200 with a dead battery, tons of miles, FMF pipe ect started up with just a few kicks. On the XR it just turns over, don't even get a little start and shut off. Checked the gas, the petcock. Grrr. :banghead:

I couldn't start my '07 XRL the other day after tinkering with it and it turned out to be that the rubber boot from the head to the carb had become disconnected. I would look at the intake system from airfilter to head just to make sure...you never know.

I would also try these:

1. Check spark plug cap, make sure it's in all the way.
  2. Check to make sure you have spark. Remove spark plug cap, insert screw driver into sparkplug cap and hold the screw driver about 1/8th or less from frame and crank, you should see a spark arch between the two.
  3. Make sure that you have gas going to the carb. Remove gas line and turn peacock to on...fuel should seep out.
  4. Check that both key switch and run switch are at the "on" position :banghead:

Don`t let your bike sit that long!If you can`t ride it call one of your friends( like me)-we`ll be glad to keep it from going stale!

Like gabriel said, check to see if you're getting spark. You can also pull the spark plug and then try to start it to see if you're getting fuel to the combustion chamber. Just make sure the spark plug wire is out of the way and there is no flame nearby. (another way is to check the exhaust)

If there is a fuel/air mixture coming out of the spark plug hole (or exhaust), then your problem is most likely electrical.

i know this is stupid, i have seen it. is your choke lever all the way in? mine wouldnt start with it full in.

You may have had some crap gas from the dealer. Put some good gas in and drain your float bowl. Give her a little gas once or twice, pull the choke and hit the button. She will fire right up.

Check the "OFF" switch on the handlebar - near the throttle.

GET R RUNNING yet???

If your bike is going to be sitting for more than a week or two try adding Sta-bil to your fuel each time you fill. Will keep fuel from causing any starting problems. I've used it for years in all gasoline fueled motors with great results!

Chris

If your bike is going to be sitting for more than a week or two try adding Sta-bil to your fuel each time you fill. Will keep fuel from causing any starting problems. I've used it for years in all gasoline fueled motors with great results!

Chris

+1 on the stabil.