Keihin Pilot/Slow Jets

For those of you who are interested, this website http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Keihin_Pilot_Jet_N424-26_C85.cfm carries Keihin Series 26 pilot jets. I know there are a few other sites out there that carry them as well but they seem to require that you call their business to order them. To the best of my knowledge, these are the same series jets that are in the 07 xr650l models and replacing the OEM jet with this series should alleviate having to modify the slosh baffle which is required if you install a series 21 pilot.

I dont think the pilot has nothing to do with the baffle thats for the main, but ive ran bikes without the baffles and no problems with them. Never the less good site price is kinda high for a jet though $7??? get mine locally for $5

The baffle is around the main but the pilot jet is right next to it. The more common Series 21 is longer so I can see where on some carbs the Series 21 could interfere with the baffle. I'm assuming that's the case with the XR650L carb since IMNXNYR mentioned it.

The baffle is around the main but the pilot jet is right next to it. The more common Series 21 is longer so I can see where on some carbs the Series 21 could interfere with the baffle. I'm assuming that's the case with the XR650L carb since IMNXNYR mentioned it.

Correct, at least from my understanding and reading of other posts in this forum. The slosh baffle covers the main jet and with the oem pilot installed there is no issue with operation, fuel wise. However, the series 21 jet is longer and therefore gas supply to the pilot under different circumstances could be compromised with the longer jet installed, i.e. untimely stalls on landings etc.. One workaround to this is to modify the plastic slosh baffle so there isn't an interference issue with the longer jet.

I had tried 4 different cycle shops around my area with no luck in getting the series 26 jets for my bike. All but one have the 21 series on hand but no 26's and the remaining one didn't have any jets in the store at all and tried to convince me that the 26 series didn't exist because he couldn't find it in his supply catalogs.

No doubt that the jets on the website are a little more expensive than some of the other sites I have seen, but I kinda like the idea that I can just select the quantity of an "already hard enough to find" jet and just add it to the cart and buy it, No phone call required.

Also, this post may only be applicable to the 07 model 650L's. Sure wish they designed the carb using the 21 series jet as OEM. They seem to be available everywhere and pretty cheap at that.

i dont see what it matters which style pilot you use so guess im not understanding what your trying to say. Oh well i have tons of jets when i did my mods so i used same pilot since i had alot of em, only had to find the mains

Just got the series 26 pilot jets in the mail and put the 55 in the carb. Fired up and idles no problem and has tons of torque now. Drilled the slide as referenced in the Daves mod's while I was in there this time. Wasn't to sure what to expect aflter drilling the slide since i'm running the dynojet main and needle but it all worked out great.

i dont see what it matters which style pilot you use so guess im not understanding what your trying to say. Oh well i have tons of jets when i did my mods so i used same pilot since i had alot of em, only had to find the mains

Ran across this picture that illustrates the issue. The fuel baffle slightly overlaps the pilot jet. The Series 21 is 4.5mm longer than the Series 26, so if you were to install a Series 21 pilot jet it would not clear the baffle (without modifying the baffle).

14069988-L.jpg