HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Photojojo

used 03 WR450 tranny question

7 posts in this topic

I'm looking at a 03 WR450. The best I can tell this bike has been taken pretty good care of and not really flogged much. The owner told me yesterday that there was a slight issue when shifting from 5th. He said you have to tap the shifter going from 4th into 3rd, but only when you have shifted from 5th. Does this sound like a transmission that is about to go out? I've been reading about the problems with 3rd and 5th and am just trying to cover my bases before I buy this bike.

Has anybody repaired/replaced the 5th and 3rd gears on there own? I'm a reasonably competent mechanic and do all of my own work. I have a guy that will work on it for me so that I don't have to take it to a shop, but I like to do the work myself if possible.

I'm looking at a 03 WR450. The best I can tell this bike has been taken pretty good care of and not really flogged much. The owner told me yesterday that there was a slight issue when shifting from 5th. He said you have to tap the shifter going from 4th into 3rd, but only when you have shifted from 5th. Does this sound like a transmission that is about to go out? I've been reading about the problems with 3rd and 5th and am just trying to cover my bases before I buy this bike.

Has anybody repaired/replaced the 5th and 3rd gears on there own? I'm a reasonably competent mechanic and do all of my own work. I have a guy that will work on it for me so that I don't have to take it to a shop, but I like to do the work myself if possible.

Yes , it sounds like an issue. If you are a competent mechanic, then splitting the cases is not a big deal. You can save yourself quite a bit of money by doing the job yourself.

Do yourself a favor while you're there and take care of the top end and cam chain while it's apart.

I don't have any issues with my bike(03 WR450), but I have the cases split right now on my 07 CRF 450 for crank bearings, got a whopping 25 hours out of them.

If you have a manual you should be fine, if you need a help, just ask here or PM me!!:thumbsup:

Dave

Can you really tell if a transmission is bad from someone elses description of how it shifts? And, is strange shifter feel a sure sign of 3rd or 5th gear problems?

Can you really tell if a transmission is bad from someone elses description of how it shifts? And, is strange shifter feel a sure sign of 3rd or 5th gear problems?

Maybe not, but I don't get to ride it until next week. Then I'll have a better idea.

Yes , it sounds like an issue. If you are a competent mechanic, then splitting the cases is not a big deal. You can save yourself quite a bit of money by doing the job yourself.

Do yourself a favor while you're there and take care of the top end and cam chain while it's apart.

I don't have any issues with my bike(03 WR450), but I have the cases split right now on my 07 CRF 450 for crank bearings, got a whopping 25 hours out of them.

If you have a manual you should be fine, if you need a help, just ask here or PM me!!:thumbsup:

Dave

Ok, besides the gears themselves what parts will I need to do this?

Ok, besides the gears themselves what parts will I need to do this?

You won't know until you ride it, and possibly tear it down. It could be as simple as a bent shifter shaft, or as complicated as a bent or worn shift fork, and/or worn gear dogs.

A shift shaft will cause some issues with shifting, as well as an actual gearbox issue. The shift shaft is a pretty simple repair compared to the gearbox. You will have no idea until you get into it. I would buy accordingly.

Dave

Not really, you'll have to ride it and make an educated guess, as well. That being said, if you only have trouble between a couple gears, like this bike appears to have, gearbox problems are almost a certainty.

Dave