Rim Trouble - Need Help

Hey guys and gals,

I am in a little bit of a pickle.

Been planning a trip for 6 months, spent a ton of time and money on it so far. Have my vacaction booked. Dropped a few grand on the bike getting it ready. All was going well (they are even calling for sun).

But I found a slight crack in the lip of my XR rim while inspecting it a couple weeks back. Ordered an excel rim to replace it.

Well time rolled by, and I finally got my parts guy to call his distributer... guess what? Back ordered for 3 weeks!!!!

Now what?

Well, I am going to try and get it welded, but that gives me a sick feeling in my stomach.

ARE THERE ABY OTHER RIMS THAT'LL WORK ON THE XR650R????

Thanks for ANY leads. All that time planning, working on the bike, all the money, and now this...

ARGH!

It is probably a crack on the seam. They all crack there.

If your not racing it, don't worry about it.

I pre-ran the Baja 1000 last year on a seam cracked rim...no problems. Just keep an eye on it.

I've got hoops from a 2000 XR400 if that will help you P.M. me.

I've got hoops from a 2000 XR400 if that will help you P.M. me.

I really appreciate the offer, but I leave for the trip in 2 days and am in Canada... thank you though. Knowing our postal system it could be fall before you kind gesture bailed me out. You are the first to offer help, and I really do appreciate it.

Here is the crack:

P6240442.jpg

I am going to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from growing. Then going to take the tire off, see if it is inside as well and get the crack welded.

Then it is 5000 kms of hoping for the best. New rim when I return, I guess.

Thanks guys.

I've seen alot worse make it through 106 miles of enduro work (cracked through the spoke nipple area @ seam). I think you are on the right track with your efforts.

I have a riding buddy that's been riding with a cracked rims for well over a year. It finally made it half way acrossed the rim. finally decided it was time to replace.

If it was me, I'd replace it, borrow a wheel or what ever.

Might be able to tack weld that area up just to get by for the ride.

At the welders now. Full crack in the lip, but the hoop is ok so far..

P7230117.jpg

P7230118.jpg

P7230120.jpg

Gonna ride her. Looks okay.

P7240124.jpg

P7240125.jpg

P7240126.jpg

looks good to go!:thumbsup:

Looks like you made your deadline. Good luck with it.

Thanks guys. I'll drop a link to the report when we get back.

My pig has 4000kms on it right now, gonna be more than double in two weeks :)

Cheers,