HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LeeR

Used WR450 Issues to check for???

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a used WR450 to build up as a dualsport and was wondering if there were any year model specific issues or problems that I should look out for?

Thanks!

I'm looking for a used WR450 to build up as a dualsport and was wondering if there were any year model specific issues or problems that I should look out for?

Thanks!

As far as major issues go, the first year 03 should have the starter mechanism upgraded, but besides that, the bikes are pretty solid.

Many little tweaks and mods to do on all year models to get them dialed in though......

As with anything the more it is taken care of the better it is dont matter what it is. I would not give up my 06 WR450 for anything except an 08 WR

Beware The 03 Models, They Have A Poor Flywheel "key" Design And Have Been Known To "funky" Time And Granade Rods!!! Ez/hard Cure Is To Split Cases And Replace Crank/rod Assy With Newer Wr Model.

[before Rod Explodes Of Course!]

Beware The 03 Models, They Have A Poor Flywheel "key" Design And Have Been Known To "funky" Time And Granade Rods!!! Ez/hard Cure Is To Split Cases And Replace Crank/rod Assy With Newer Wr Model.

[before Rod Explodes Of Course!]

This is kinda the short version of a much longer story:

Cases breaking, etc, was worst case scenario, and only happened to just a hand full of bikes early on. The starter system of the 03 didn't have a torque limiter in it, so the flywheel woodruff key was breaking as the energy needed some place to go during an engine backfire.

After the 04 upgrade became available, the problem went away and stayed away on the 03's with the new parts.

The parts are about $200 to upgrade and not a big deal to install.

This is kinda the short version of a much longer story:

Cases breaking, etc, was worst case scenario, and only happened to just a hand full of bikes early on. The starter system of the 03 didn't have a torque limiter in it, so the flywheel woodruff key was breaking as the energy needed some place to go during an engine backfire.

After the 04 upgrade became available, the problem went away and stayed away on the 03's with the new parts.

The parts are about $200 to upgrade and not a big deal to install.

I bought mine used this spring, and it had all the original parts with no jetting done, or any of the other fixes that Yamaha did as a recall. My bike still was on it's original starter, drive, and idler after 4 years. The one way clutch on the flywheel wore out and that was it. I installed all the updated stuff, just for my own piece of mind.

As far as the crank, haven't heard of many problems with them UNLESS they are road ridden alot, and that goes for all of the 450's.

The nice part about the 03 WR's is the price used, they are getting real cheap.:thumbsup:

Dave