HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fershy

Wiring the WR for Street? Heywood~!

2 posts in this topic

Heywood et all, what type of connectors do you recommend using for the connections? I am in the process of making my own harness so anything you could pass on would be much appreciated. I am going to receive a turnsignal switch from Baja D shortly. What type of connector will I need to tie into the unit?

I heard for a turn signal flasher one should consider a digital unit. Uses less amperage I guess? Any thoughts on that? Do you have a picture of your harness or a wiring diagram that you can share?

I have decided that I will retain the AC system for the headlights and brakes and run just the horn and signals from a DC Source. ( Small POwerSonic Gell Cell that fits smartly in the airbox) Total loss system of course, but the battery tender will take care of recharging.

Hi Fershy:

If you get the turn signal switch that comes with the kit, they use a square white molex connector (not sealed, readily available, cheap). I think it's 12 pins. I am away from my bike, so I don't have the details right now, but can post them later. I used one of these in my headlight assembly, mainly because I had one laying around.l

I have looked at a number of connectors. I prefer a sealed connector, the problem is most of them are huge and / or have limited pin counts.

I used a Switchcraft "EN3 Mini Weathertight Connector" on my rear fender, but am not all that happy with it. They are a little hard to work with and only come in a max of six pins (for the cable to cable type).

You can get them from a number of distributor- www.digikey.com / www.mouser.com / www.alliedelec.com These guys also carry the Molex connectors Baja uses.

A couple others I was looking at were ITT "Sure Seal" types (they are large) PH (800) 523-0727

Waytek, Inc. Molded Connectors (these are large too) www.waytekwire.com.

I have a picture of my headlight assembly and rear fender I can post after work (shows the connectors).

Hope this was of some help.

Heywood