Loud pipes save lives....

Personally, I prefer to pretend I am completely invisible, and EXPECT to get cut off.

Better still run a quick bike and get ready to react before problems happen.

Good advice.

Also ride "big" - make yourself as visible as possible, occupy centre of lane, be assertive, make decisive (not hesitant) moves...

Sorry, this thread is being hijacked...

there has to be a happy medium between a stock honda exhaust and open piped harleys. i feel (on my xr650l) a header and a e2 series slip on WITH the spark arrestor tip is a fair compromise between power and db levels. why should we have to lay down and have to stick with stock everything when the "image riders(harley guys)" have all the freedom they want!:excuseme:

I think so too, it's gives the motor some personality instead of the stock "Ummm, excuse me" motor.

Your LOUD PIPES spoil it for the rest of us.

I can't help but wonder, what is being spoiled for the "rest of you"? Are the tree huggers trying to take away your use of the roadways? Is it just dual sport bikes or all bikes that are louder than you percieve they should be?

I can't help but wonder, what is being spoiled for the "rest of you"? Are the tree huggers trying to take away your use of the roadways? Is it just dual sport bikes or all bikes that are louder than you percieve they should be?

I think what hurts most is the ones on a motoxtrack where you can hear a long distance away. If you live near by, you hear it/them all day long, verses a street bike that passes by your area, ya hear it for just a bit, then it's gone.

Some areas the sound travels really far, others it doesn't, just depends on the tracks location of course.

That's where they should be really picky with loud pipes, so it doesn't give a close by neighborhood one more reason to close it down.

:rant: Usually the tracks were there first though!

I like it! Loud pipes ruin it for who? Are we talking ruin it for the street riding "L" guys??? This was on the street, right? Some of you guys are so PC you just puke out, knee jurk crap. It's all about just your little corner of the world. As was said, some of us don't have to ride in our own lane. We split traffic leagly, twice a day, for an hour or more both ways. Louder pipes make a big difference. We are not just sitting in a lane at one place waiting to be hit. We litteraly have inches between our mirrors and the cars or truck beside us. Like it was said, you can see the difference between a harley going trough and a stock bike. Once a harley goes through the cars are looking for the bikes coming......well for a few seconds till they fall asleep again or have another call on the cell.

If you like it loud and on the street you will not be the loudest or even close. If you keep it stock you might be the most quiet though. I think this high jacked post must be almost to Asia by now.

28 yrs on the street and 300,000+ miles on bikes with quiet and loud pipes. I know your question is more about lean jetting but I thought I would weigh in on the sound issue. I do about 30+ mi of BAD traffic a day into a large city and have been doing it for about 21 yrs. I get cut off just as often on my loud Big Gunned XR650L as I do on my quiet VF1100S. Throttle blip or not, cell phones, aggressive driving and attention spans like a goldfish are a big cause of this on the cagers part. Personally, I prefer to pretend I am completely invisible, and EXPECT to get cut off. The cagers never disappoint me in this respect :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: on avg, I get cut off 4-7 times a day just doing my commute. If you want a chance at all, find the largest opening and get there. Better still run a quick bike and get ready to react before problems happen. Crap, I didn't answer your jetting question AT ALL. Keep the rubber down and good luck to you.

Exactly.......

Your LOUD PIPES spoil it for the rest of us.

No they dont.:blah: :blah: :blah:

I like it! Loud pipes ruin it for who? Are we talking ruin it for the street riding "L" guys??? This was on the street, right? Some of you guys are so PC you just puke out, knee jurk crap. It's all about just your little corner of the world. As was said, some of us don't have to ride in our own lane. We split traffic leagly, twice a day, for an hour or more both ways. Louder pipes make a big difference. We are not just sitting in a lane at one place waiting to be hit. We litteraly have inches between our mirrors and the cars or truck beside us. Like it was said, you can see the difference between a harley going trough and a stock bike. Once a harley goes through the cars are looking for the bikes coming......well for a few seconds till they fall asleep again or have another call on the cell.

If you like it loud and on the street you will not be the loudest or even close. If you keep it stock you might be the most quiet though. I think this high jacked post must be almost to Asia by now.

there are "L" guys out here who have the same feelings as you. my bike has a great sound from its header/e2 slip-on pipe. dont assume all "L" riders arent real riders. :busted:

not only that, but get off of your "R" for a minute and remember what we all do this for!:naughty::blah: :blah:

Anybody ever hear a cager say, "I heard the guy coming, but pulled out in front of him, anyway"? Nope. But you hear the other all the time. "I didn't see him". I'm with the loud guys on this one. I switch regularly between my Yosh-equipped L, and my quiet comp can KTM, on the same commute.

There's a big difference in the room I get in traffic between the two. And, as someone else pointed out, it's no guarantee that you would run into idiots that don't see, OR hear you. 44 years of riding, 35 of which on the street......on all kinds of different bikes.

Oh, and by the way, I am all for the "Less Sound Means More Ground" idea.

The cagers won't give it to us, nor will the greens off road. The first group doesn't know, and second will never care, for us, no matter what we do. IMHO

there are "L" guys out here who have the same feelings as you. my bike has a great sound from its header/e2 slip-on pipe. dont assume all "L" riders arent real riders. :busted:

not only that, but get off of your "R" for a minute and remember what we all do this for!:naughty::blah: :blah:

I am not talking about you or guys that ride there bike and have fun with what ever their choce is. It's the poser guys, that think there bike makes them, knock the bike and you are knocking there manhood. Knock there choce of quiet and you are not conforming.

This was one of those times it sounded too open ended. Sorry, but, it was just a reply to what are we ruining and is it ruining it for?

All "L" guys are not true "L" guys! Next I am going to get blasted for being motorcycle prejudice, well iguess I am. It has come out before in other threads.........I am trying to get help but, it was the way I was raised....It was my fathers fault.

There are real bike riders that bought the bike for what it was made for, to get somewhere and have what fun they could get out of the bike at the sametime. Then there are the fat office guys that want to still be a man or at least look like they might be, or were, or thinking they could be again. Office guy done with work, goes into restroom changes into his leathers, glues on his big beard, the bandana goes on to hold his clip on pony tail and jumps on the Harley for the twenty minute manhood ride home, where once in the garage he strips off the manhood take his office work out of the saddle bag, walks through the door and says, yes dear, I'll get right to that.......

I have something like this......

I have a ST1300....not a race bike, not a touring bike but, a sport touring bike (that is what the ST stands for) Not a Goldwing, not a RC-52. Yes, the wife and I took it for a 837 round trip on our 22 wedding aniversary two years ago and it was wounderful, I can ride with the front wheel straight up to 65mph but, it won't clutchless shift into second like the GSXR 1000 does. I can do the twisties a little but, wear the side of the boots almost all the way through just thinking I might stay with the real bikes. In the end it does like the "L" a little of everything but, nothing all the way. Nice bike for going to work, a little cursing with the wife, ride it everyday to work, makes a great police bike but, still have the Goldwing guys saying it isn't a real touring bike and the GSXR guys staying it is not a sport bike, just a middle aged got to work bike I can use for other things as well. I just don't think it's a do all bike or think that it makes me a road racer or compare it to one. If I want to be Joe Rocket I would jump on the CBR1000RR and make it happen, not protend and just be a poser like the fat office guy. I know the office guys are all upset at the crotchrocket crew also, :blah: :blah: :blah: they are ruining it for everyone also, loud, to fast, tricks, they should all be band:rant: . They can't (PC bike guys) so when other do it makes them feel like less of a man. :cry: Ya, ya, ya, I can hear it now, stop knocking what others ride and how they ride, it rude, :blah: :blah: :blah::cry: :cry: Bunch of cry baby, want-a-be, posers, you make me sick:p :busted:

guess i just didnt know where you were coming from! sounds all good to me!:thumbsup:

For the question at hand when you mod the exhaust and intake you need to reject. For the noise issue I do have modifyed exhaust on my street bike (Buell). If you want to be seen I think that a headlight modulater is the best bet.http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2 I run one and I have noticed a bigger differnce with that then a louder pipe, plus I know it gets scene because of all the people that let me know something is "wrong" with my headlight.

For the question at hand when you mod the exhaust and intake you need to reject. For the noise issue I do have modifyed exhaust on my street bike (Buell). If you want to be seen I think that a headlight modulater is the best bet.http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2 I run one and I have noticed a bigger differnce with that then a louder pipe, plus I know it gets scene because of all the people that let me know something is "wrong" with my headlight.

thats cool, do you still independant control of hi/lo beam?

The modulater only modulates on hi beam during daylight hours (it has a photo sensor) and you still have full control over hi or low beam I am a believer in them and I don't hear loud pipes come ing up behind my car but I see headlights and people comment on mine a lot.

Loud pipes will increase your probability of being heard and noticed, and heck possibly... saving your life?. I always wondered why those ambulance and big truck thingies w/ hurt people in them are so loud.............:excuseme:

The big difference on this argument is where you ride. A huge difference is in California where you can leagally split lanes. I know it sounds crazy for the rest of you but, once the traffic is slowed down to 30mph or less you can split traffic. You can only go 15mph faster then traffic at anytime you are splitting traffic. LOUD is a big plus, but, better is when you let a loud Harley go first then you fallow. My ST1300 is wisper quiet but, I can see a huge difference when a Harley goes first. The traffic splits like thet red sea has they go through. If I run high beams with the head light moved up (Head lights on the ST1300 are on a motor that adjusts there beam up and down) I get a few to move as I split. It is a fact that loud pipes make a difference here when splitting traffic but, I don't have a loud street bike. In the dirt I have been on both end of the loud pipe saving me from a high speed crash. I don't care about the politacaly correct and there screwed up views that it's all about what bugs them or others; throwing out what works.

sure wish I could pull that lane splitting deal here in Iowa. I admit, usually wouldn't really need to anyway...traffic isn't that bad. But if I tried it, wouldn't take long for some dork to open a door, etc. People get their panties in a wad because you are passing them, period. Pass a car in the middle of no where on a blacktop, and half the time they speed way up after you pass them, flash their lights, gestures, whatever. Whatever happened to go your own pace, live and let live? Sorry, rant mode off...

Loud pipes will increase your probability of being heard and noticed, and heck possibly... saving your life?. I always wondered why those ambulance and big truck thingies w/ hurt people in them are so loud.............:excuseme:

you might notice, the "noise emitter thingies" on these vehicles aren't all pointed rearwards, like most pipes :prof:

To get even more off topic, anyone else notice all the bikers preaching about "loud pipes save lives" that won't wear helmets (or in states with helmet laws, they wear the crappy absolute minimum requirement helmets that don't do much good)? Sure, loud pipes save lives, but SCREW wearing a helmet....what kind of a girly man do you think I am? Buy yah, my girl on the back wears a helmet...'cause everyone knows women have much softer skulls than men :naughty::banghead:

you might notice, the "noise emitter thingies" on these vehicles aren't all pointed rearwards, like most pipes :prof:

(Thanks for the tip, I thought the pipes were in the rear to prevent bugs and rain from entering the cylinder)

To get even more off topic, anyone else notice all the bikers preaching about "loud pipes save lives" that won't wear helmets (or in states with helmet laws, they wear the crappy absolute minimum requirement helmets that don't do much good)?

( Everyone knows that if you have a very loud Harley, you don't need a helmet because everyone will hear you, it's real simple)

Sure, loud pipes save lives, but SCREW wearing a helmet....what kind of a girly man do you think I am? Buy yah, my girl on the back wears a helmet...'cause everyone knows women have much softer skulls than men :naughty::banghead:

( Moto guys don't ride their girl on the back, there's no room)

................:thumbsup:

To get even more off topic, anyone else notice all the bikers preaching about "loud pipes save lives" that won't wear helmets (or in states with helmet laws, they wear the crappy absolute minimum requirement helmets that don't do much good)? Sure, loud pipes save lives, but SCREW wearing a helmet....what kind of a girly man do you think I am? Buy yah, my girl on the back wears a helmet...'cause everyone knows women have much softer skulls than men :naughty::banghead:

This is where things get real wierd,

Bumper to bumper and everyone is in a hury to go nowhere, on the cell, reading the paper or a book, make-up what every, you don't have the balls to split traffic and think you are the safe guy sitting there in the middle of the lane and splat, your dead. Yes, many here don't know the rules that the bike can split the lane and cut you off, open doors as you are coming to scare you, shove you off the road but, I can not handle being stopped on the freeway on a bike, just sitting there waiting, waiting, waiting with that little 2" light tail shining as bright as it can and here she comes putting on her make-up..........

I think it is crazy to stop on the freeway at anytime on a bike.......

You guys that can't split traffic and traffic stops, you are sitting in a hole, at it least it looks that way to the guy that just wants to move into another lane and bam your hit. In big city traffic it's just crazy to be stopped. I know the rest of the country does it every day but, we here in California just keep on moving and loud pipes make a big difference in that kind of ridding. This coming from someone that has a very quiet bike.

My definition of any bike not going faster than traffic:

A TARGET!

Dave