Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fordman06gt

yz400 cam timing to wr cam timing

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone done this? will I get more low end and does anyone know if I need to move the exhaust cam one tooth clockwise or counterclockwise for the wr timing. I just don't have much low end and would like more. Any links to cam timing procedures would be helpful. Thanks

Has anyone done this? will I get more low end and does anyone know if I need to move the exhaust cam one tooth clockwise or counterclockwise for the wr timing. I just don't have much low end and would like more. Any links to cam timing procedures would be helpful. Thanks

This was the first mod I did on my '02 WR250F, VERY happy with the sweet gain in low to midrange throttle snap. It's so odd you retard the exhaust cam timing 1 tooth, and you gain low to mid throttle response, but bottom line this mod works awesome!

Lots have went from WR timing to YZ timing but I'm not to sure on the YZ to WR timing. The link that grayracer posted is for WR to YZ. You may have to do more searching.

Better than any other mod is to put a 2003 YZ450 exhaust cam in. This gives you auto decompression, and the power is so incredibly forgiving on the bottom end it is amazing. My WR starts like a 2 stroke now.

Lots have went from WR timing to YZ timing but I'm not to sure on the YZ to WR timing. The link that grayracer posted is for WR to YZ. You may have to do more searching.

Better than any other mod is to put a 2003 YZ450 exhaust cam in. This gives you auto decompression, and the power is so incredibly forgiving on the bottom end it is amazing. My WR starts like a 2 stroke now.

Doing this mod in reverse will move a YZ to WR timing. BTW, this can't be done if you are using auto decompression cams.

And I agree that the 450 cam swap is the best way to go. But I wonder if the real problem here isn't more a matter of the bike being geared too high in low gear for the style of riding it's being used for.