2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,502 posts in this topic

Galfer solid wave rotors, new EBC pads and Motul high temp fluid. :ride:

done to fix the problem i had last enduro of smoking my rear brakes and losing em half way into it.:)

also put on new Kenda Millvilles front and back.:lol:

All part of my stimulous plan to enrich asian countries :)

06wr450

took it apart to check the valves... didn't need to be checked but i was bored... new plug and oil too

pulled the forks apart to do a reseal.... only to realize my 06 has 48mm forks and i don't have a driver that big..... so today I am scrambling for a driver so i can ride it for the first time this weekend.....

Just got done installing my rebuilt suspension with Racetech springs and gold valves, had the valving done from a local suspension shop. Also just installed a JD jetting kit and a new Lexx Mxe exhaust slip on. Now it not only looks and sounds better, but it's got a noticable power increase as well. Tonight after work I'm installing a new Maxxis IT rear tire.

The bike is new to me and in next to new condition as it was used only a very small amount.

I sat infront of the computer day dreaming about driving one because I won't be getting one this year, but hopefully next. The reason I'm infront of the computer and not riding is because i had a nasty spill that ended my riding season early :ride::)

New EX. Hotcam came in the mail today I ordered last week , and a real good thing to because my decompresion cable broke this last ride . Good timing or what ?:ride: I have been planning for this conversion for a while now . Guess what Im doing tonight .

Asked the wife to send me a pic. Stuck on duty becuz of all the fires.

You and me both.........................finally get Saturday off.......

New EX. Hotcam came in the mail today I ordered last week , and a real good thing to because my decompresion cable broke this last ride . Good timing or what ? I have been planning for this conversion for a while now . Guess what Im doing tonight .

my buddy had auto de-compression on his zy400f and at the beginning of the summer the detent ball came out, got stuck in his timing chain, broke it and left other shrapnel in the bottom of the engine too. starting it was a pain too. my bike has the stock cams and it starts first kick every time. i'm skeptical about putting those things in bikes that aren't made for them.

I found a piece of aluminum in my garage 2" wide by 1/8" thick and about three feet long. I cut a piece just over 2.3" long and then used the belt sander to get it right at 2.3" and make it pretty. I then cut a notch on one side that made that side 1.9" long and then gave the whole thing a soft sanded satin finish. When I adjust the chain I just set it up on the swingarm. The low side should slide right under the chain and the tall side should not.

Here's a pic of the Galfer Wave rotor, solid.

Its a big pic so Ill just link it.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/MotoGoalie/Motorcycle%20Pics/galferrotor001.jpg

i have new rotors front and back and they are honest to God much stronger than the stock WR rotors, which Ive bent. They seem thicker to but I didnt Mic them. Im using EBC comps as pads and motul high temp fluid.

thats also a Kenda Millville. I like it so far. Its wearing pretty fast but it has great hook up in the sand and mud, does ok on rocks as well. little skatey on hardpack and gravel - but then what isnt.

Sorry, kind of long but here is why I ask...

I have an 09. I ride So Cal desert from 0 to 4,000 feet. I rode it once in completely stock form to break it in. I loved the way the bike ran except I desperately wanted full throttle and it was over heating. I could hear the radiator boiling and my over flow tank was half full.

I went home and purchased the Yamaha AIS removal kit. I installed all of the jets from that kit, removed air box snorkels, removed pea shooter from exhaust, disconnected gray wire. I have ridden it a couple of times with this set up. It does not over heat at all. The radiator does not boil and my over flow tank stays at about 1/4 full all day long.

Dirt Rider did their comparison test and only used the throttle stop, no pea shooter, and no gray wire and they talked about how great the stock jetting was. They did not mention over heating. Their article got me to second guessing myself.

So, am I running cooler now due to the richer jetting or to the freer breathing? And...if I was happy with the way it ran before, should I have left the stock jetting or would it still be overheating?

Sorry, kind of long but here is why I ask...

I have an 09. I ride So Cal desert from 0 to 4,000 feet. I rode it once in completely stock form to break it in. I loved the way the bike ran except I desperately wanted full throttle and it was over heating. I could hear the radiator boiling and my over flow tank was half full.

I went home and purchased the Yamaha AIS removal kit. I installed all of the jets from that kit, removed air box snorkels, removed pea shooter from exhaust, disconnected gray wire. I have ridden it a couple of times with this set up. It does not over heat at all. The radiator does not boil and my over flow tank stays at about 1/4 full all day long.

Dirt Rider did their comparison test and only used the throttle stop, no pea shooter, and no gray wire and they talked about how great the stock jetting was. They did not mention over heating. Their article got me to second guessing myself.

So, am I running cooler now due to the richer jetting or to the freer breathing? And...if I was happy with the way it ran before, should I have left the stock jetting or would it still be overheating?

Why are you second guessing, that's my question. Richer jetting requires freer breathing . You can't add one without the other. You must not have ridden it much since you uncorked it to say you liked it before. Not possible!

Stock jetting means overheating. Cutting open your air box only, would make it even leaner, and even hotter.