2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,495 posts in this topic

Forgot to post this on Saturday. What did I do to my WR today? I sailed it into a tree!

Real tight section of bush and tons of roots/rocks. Low speed stuff and a tight left, trying negotiate obstacles the revs came up but somehow I got loose and couldn't get off the gas and she rocketed ahead. Happened too quick for me to bail before bouncing her off two big cedars.

Duckbilled the frontfender, jammed the left fork up 2-3mm in the clamps, and mashed the right peg into the brake lever. Other than that, all okay except for the broken right ankle. Thanks to the rekluse the engine was still running (starting would have been real painful), and I rode for another hour to get back home.

Lessons learned:

- ride with a buddy

- bring the cell phone and some ID, namely my HealthCard!

Glad I wear the right gear....if I was only wearing work boots, I'd have a second knee right now. The break is clean and I'll be good in 4 weeks.

Have fun, ride hard, but keep your wits about ya all the time!

No, but I was wondering if some of those gadgets would be helpful. Not pumping the clutch all day would be nice, but when you have to launch the front in the air from a dead stop to clear an obstacle, can you do it?

The answer is yes as long as you buy the perch adjuster option.

but then I wondered if it would slow down the steering too much for a quick recovery at low speeds

It all depends on how tight you have it adjusted. The scotts would be your best bet as it only dampens away from center.

Guts seat showed up from UPS today! Tall, Medium soft, Competition cover,

NICE!!! My A$$ feels better already.

Gutstallseat.jpg

Guts seat showed up from UPS today! Tall, Medium soft, Competition cover,

NICE!!! My A$$ feels better already.

Gutstallseat.jpg

NICE! Did you re-cover, or send the seat to them to do it?

NICE! Did you re-cover, or send the seat to them to do it?

I took it down the street to an old Italiano upholstery guy for $20 bucks.

I tried it myself but it was turning into a butcher job. Not the right type of staple guns on hand here.

At last, I got rid of that old Keihin FCR with its throttle problems and mud collecting problems. When I took it off, the pump was seized solid again (3rd rod this year) and the throttle valve fractured (2nd time this year).

I put on an Edelbrock and got a new bike. Why didn't I do this before?

At last, I got rid of that old Keihin FCR with its throttle problems and mud collecting problems. When I took it off, the pump was seized solid again (3rd rod this year) and the throttle valve fractured (2nd time this year).

I put on an Edelbrock and got a new bike. Why didn't I do this before?

Is that on a 08 or 07? how do you like it? how much$?:thumbsup:

20080524_234108_WRASVLever.jpg

Pulled the WR450 out of winter storage last week. Put on new Pro-Grip 793's today, G2 Throttle Tube, and ASV F3 Clutch lever. I had a nasty wreck at the end of the season last year, needed to replace the bent hardware. All ready to go now..

rode the stuffing out of my metal misstress all weekend 150+ miles and two flats :thumbsup: damm cactus. just drove 4 hours home, now if i can just get through the honey do list this week i can do it all again next weekend.......wooohooo

changed the 13-50 set up to a 15-45 (thats 15 on the small front and 45 on the back.......it feels like a two stroke when i stabb it, gotta do this if you dont mind not being able to go 90 anymore, itll do a respectful 75mph still but itll get there alot faster:ride:

Is that on a 08 or 07? how do you like it? how much$?:thumbsup:

It's on a '07 and I like it very much. More stable starting, no flooding when stalled and much easier too tune for ...anything. Remember, the FCR is a road race type of carb from the beginning and demand much more work after each outing, stripping and cleaning everything. The Edelbrock is a more crude type of instrument, giving away some power at the top, but doing evrything else so easy and without trouble. Lots of offers from 300 up (new) or around 150 - 200 used.

changed the 13-50 set up to a 15-45 (thats 15 on the small front and 45 on the back.......it feels like a two stroke when i stabb it, gotta do this if you dont mind not being able to go 90 anymore, itll do a respectful 75mph still but itll get there alot faster:ride:

Going from 13-50 to 15-45 would make your bike have a HIGHER top speed.:thumbsup:

Going from 13-50 to 15-45 would make your bike have a HIGHER top speed.:thumbsup:

Yeah, what he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unpacked the new graphics and white plastic.

The red and white graphics were only availabe in YZ form, so they'll need a bit of stretching to fit on the WR plastic, and a big Bingo marker to change the YZ to WR.

I'm going to cover my spare blue headlight cowl with an unused white side cover graphic.

Tonight I'll install the graphics and mount the new plastic tomorrow. I wonder if I can velcro the red seat cover over the stocker?

whiteout1.jpg

whiteout2.jpg

Maybe not - gearing that high may acutally slow the bike down, but not for the reason he is stating.

Awesome looking kit, if i didn't love 'Yamaha Blue' so much I would do the same to mine