2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,495 posts in this topic

Started it and checked the oil. Then I set the air pressures to 20 psi (so I can air down at staging area) and made sure the spokes were good to go.

Gettin' ready for the creek :thumbsup:

Swapped the battery for another Yuasa. No way will I be kicking that thing over all summer :thumbsup:

Fired right up and took her for a short trail ride. More of that tomorrow.

Changed oil/fliter ...... new air filter ...... adjusted/lubed chain ....... talked dirty to it

I went out to the garage and told it "we are expecting snow all weekend sorry:excuseme: "

:rant::lol::mad::o

I went out to the garage and told it "we are expecting snow all weekend, awesome! :ride::thumbsup: (Sorry Charles, I couldn't resist.)

Went for a ride

ride1.jpg

Broke something quite a ways out from civilization.

broketrack.jpg

I was running flat out in 5th and suddenly lost all forward drive. I thought I blew 5th, so I started dropping down through the gearbox, and nothing. Thought maybe I threw the track so I looked back and it was still there and turning, so I assumed I blew the clutch. Coasted to a stop and checked out the bike, nothing looked out of the ordinary.

Fired it up, let the clutch out in 1st, actually pulled away, rode for a few feet and then lost all forward drive. Now I’m convinced the clutch is cooked. I let the bike cool for 10 minutes hoping to get enough out of the clutch to get me home. Started off again in 1st, no problem, drove a few feet, and then lost all drive again, like hitting a false neutral. Leaned the bike over on the side stand, popped it in gear and the track was spinning normally. Ran through all the gears no problem. Applied the rear brake and the engine stopped turning but the track didn’t. The rear wheel was turning inside the track. There is a pin that connects the track drive sprocket to the rim, through on e of the rimlock holes. It had sheared off. Once the sprocket cooled off, I was able to limp home in 1st.

Decided to spend the rest of the day swapping the rear wheel back on and installing my new ski (I broke my original).

newski1.jpg

newski2.jpg

Got everything switched over, went for a spin, and don’t like the new ski. It’s longer than my old ski and the extra length swinging back and forth makes the steering feel very heavy. As soon as I pulled away I felt like I was fighting a too tight steering damper and thought I had screwed something up when I installed the ski. I eventually realized that it was the extra length slowing down the steering. I think I’m going to have to go back to the original ski. They stopped making them so I’ll have to rebuild it.

Dropped some 48 Eibach springs in the front end and threw these numbers on. Not happy with the color right away but it's what I ordered and I'll get over it.

195.jpg

Dropped some 48 Eibach springs in the front end and threw these numbers on. Not happy with the color right away but it's what I ordered and I'll get over it.

195.jpg

Lookin good. How much were the springs?

Lookin good. How much were the springs

I think I paid 106.00 and change at BR1 in Watsonville. Soaked them for a little info and did it myself. Couldn't afford the whole revalve right now. Where are we riding Friday Joe?

Hello! from Finland

I have wr400 year 2000

Oil change went BAD:foul:

Engine block is now in workshop. To be weld

008.jpg

022.jpg

I installed scotts sub mount stabilizer,JD jet kit, and finished muffler mod with perforated pipe and packing and rode it hard the next day:ride: :thumbsup:

Replaced front brake pads after fork oil leaked all over them. Not much stopping power with them being lubed up.

I went out to the garage and told it "we are expecting snow all weekend, awesome! :ride::thumbsup: (Sorry Charles, I couldn't resist.)

Went for a ride

ride1.jpg

Broke something quite a ways out from civilization.

broketrack.jpg

I was running flat out in 5th and suddenly lost all forward drive. I thought I blew 5th, so I started dropping down through the gearbox, and nothing. Thought maybe I threw the track so I looked back and it was still there and turning, so I assumed I blew the clutch. Coasted to a stop and checked out the bike, nothing looked out of the ordinary.

Fired it up, let the clutch out in 1st, actually pulled away, rode for a few feet and then lost all forward drive. Now I’m convinced the clutch is cooked. I let the bike cool for 10 minutes hoping to get enough out of the clutch to get me home. Started off again in 1st, no problem, drove a few feet, and then lost all drive again, like hitting a false neutral. Leaned the bike over on the side stand, popped it in gear and the track was spinning normally. Ran through all the gears no problem. Applied the rear brake and the engine stopped turning but the track didn’t. The rear wheel was turning inside the track. There is a pin that connects the track drive sprocket to the rim, through on e of the rimlock holes. It had sheared off. Once the sprocket cooled off, I was able to limp home in 1st.

Decided to spend the rest of the day swapping the rear wheel back on and installing my new ski (I broke my original).

newski1.jpg

newski2.jpg

Got everything switched over, went for a spin, and don’t like the new ski. It’s longer than my old ski and the extra length swinging back and forth makes the steering feel very heavy. As soon as I pulled away I felt like I was fighting a too tight steering damper and thought I had screwed something up when I installed the ski. I eventually realized that it was the extra length slowing down the steering. I think I’m going to have to go back to the original ski. They stopped making them so I’ll have to rebuild it.

The snowbike looks awesome! How does it work in deep snow? Is it a 2moto kit?

If it keeps snowing around here I might have to invest in one.

The snowbike looks awesome! How does it work in deep snow? Is it a 2moto kit?

If it keeps snowing around here I might have to invest in one.

The track is from the Attrax system, $804 Canadian.

I usually get asked how it performs in deep snow, but snow conditions affect rideability much more than the depth. I’ve ridden over snow 5 to 10 feet deep with no problem, and I’ve ridden in 4 inches of snow where traction was terrible. The best way to sum this track up would be – it’s probably 2ce as good as my best snow tire when conditions are soft, but it’s no match for a snowmobile.

I’m sure a wider track, like the 2 moto, would perform better in soft conditions. I like the Attrax because it almost feels like riding with the rear tire. I haven’t tried a 2Moto track yet, but I rode a SnowHawk which has a wide track, and the track tends to want to sit flat to the terrain, so the ground is trying to lean the bike when you’re not. It’s not terrible, but in technical areas it’s like someone is constantly trying to tip you off balance.

An update on the new ski. I bought a chunk of Teflon yesterday, to see if I could mold a new ski bottom from it. After testing a few temperatures I found that a 300 degree oven softened it up enough to easily bend to the shape I needed. Now that I know I can fix my original ski, I decided to give the new one another chance. I put 30 miles on it after work yesterday and am starting to like it. It’s very different than my MotoSki, but does have some good points.

For starters, on high speed rutted trails, I really began to appreciate the steering damper effect of the extra weight and length of the new ski. I was criss-crossing ruts that normally would’ve pulled my bars halfway to lock, but only felt a little wiggle with the new ski. It also sits lower, so the tire doesn’t sink as far. On slow trails this causes the front to wash out more, since the shallower tire offers less rudder effect, but is fine at higher speeds. A plus of this is that the front tire hits less “hidden treasure” buried under the snow, and there is less drag in soft snow.

So now I’m thinking that I’ll be switching back and froth between skis like I do between tire and track, depending on where I’m riding, and conditions.

Frostbite needs two bikes:prof:

You're right Charles, so I brought the 400 in to thaw and begin fire restoration.

400.jpg

I have all new plastic and graphics on the way, and hopefully I have enough new cables and wires to replace the crispy stuff. I also ordered a piece of Teflon to rebuild my MotoSki. A fella in town sells sheet of ½” and ¾” for runners on dog sleds and qamotiqs. The Teflon on my ski was much thinner (as you can see in the photo), but ½” is the thinnest available here so I’ll try it.

teflon.jpg

If it’s too heavy I’ll plane it down. The sheets are 10 feet long, and I have to take a full strip. I’ll have enough for 6 skis, so there’ll be lots to experiment with.

I was worried that the ½” wouldn’t bend, so I got a small chunk for the supplier, and it wouldn’t. I tried heating it in the oven. 100, 200 degrees – nothing. 325 degrees the white Teflon turned clear, but didn’t distort, and bent easily, and held it’s shape when it cooled, so I’m in business.

Did you do white so that way you can just sneak around in camo?

I was actually thinking of going hunter orange, so I wouldn't get accidentally shot. :thumbsup: