2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,502 posts in this topic

Dropped a 2014 yfz450r factory slipper clutch into my '12 WR450.     

Slipper for just a hair over $220 for the supermoto.  :ride:

IMG_20160330_094716_zpslhneebyq.jpg

IMG_20160319_110255_zpsjnrakk6j.jpg

3 people like this

After 235 hours on the stock clutch basket (2 sets of fibers and steels) there were some noticeable grooves.

36E5C097-D2F5-4382-A437-EBFC5EBF213B_zps

I took a flat file to them and followed up with some 220 grit.

0F936809-3BE1-4054-AF89-30D217FF91D9_zps

Then, I put my own spin on the "swiss cheese" mod.

B2FE573E-4CAF-48BB-A5EC-CEB7F6333F85_zps

F8FEEE6D-3702-4C5C-8388-43C6BF909D6E_zps

1 person likes this

Dropped a 2014 yfz450r factory slipper clutch into my '12 WR450.     

Slipper for just a hair over $220 for the supermoto.  :ride:

That's interesting. I had no idea those even existed. Did you buy it second hand?

Do they use the same plates as the stock clutch?

Hopefully they do because I just bought one off ebay haha.

Edited by ricknaz

I got In great ride this weekend with some good friends . Rode is some not so bad mud leading up to

some wet heavy snow and then up to some fun to ride in snow  . Lots of log hoping and a little hand

sawing with some little fold out saws . 

20160220_1207110_zpsc0r2kvqs.jpg

20160220_132744_zpsc7auqgax.jpg

20160220_133316_zpshxzehofe.jpg

20160220_1254050_zps1estsauf.jpg

And now I am about to wash it so I can yank the clutch and find out why the Rekluse is starting to slip in 3rd and 4th gear .  Last few rides I could feel it slipping a bit in 4th so I re-adjusted it just before this ride and

3/4's of the way through the day I had to loosen the clutch cable again to keep it from slipping in 3rd .

Don't make fun , I love my rekluse and it loves me  :wub: .  

Which hand saw are you using ?   We have a little spring cleaning to do on some of our trails as well.

Nice pictures.

2 people like this

After 235 hours on the stock clutch basket (2 sets of fibers and steels) there were some noticeable grooves.

36E5C097-D2F5-4382-A437-EBFC5EBF213B_zps

I took a flat file to them and followed up with some 220 grit.

0F936809-3BE1-4054-AF89-30D217FF91D9_zps

Then, I put my own spin on the "swiss cheese" mod.

B2FE573E-4CAF-48BB-A5EC-CEB7F6333F85_zps

F8FEEE6D-3702-4C5C-8388-43C6BF909D6E_zps

What does this "swiss cheese" mod do?

What does this "swiss cheese" mod do?

It allows more oil into the clutch plates to help them separate when you pull in the clutch lever. It's supposed to help the feel of engagement and starting in gear. I'll test it out this Friday.

2 people like this

It allows more oil into the clutch plates to help them separate when you pull in the clutch lever. It's supposed to help the feel of engagement and starting in gear. I'll test it out this Friday.

Awesome. I've seen it a couple other times. I'd like to start in gear so let me know how it goes. I'll prob be doing it this weekend

1 person likes this

That's interesting. I had no idea those even existed. Did you buy it second hand?

Do they use the same plates as the stock clutch?

Hopefully they do because I just bought one off ebay haha.

You'll need 2 #9s, 1 #7 and a 23, 24 25 and 26.   ( use these part numbers for whomever you order from in OZ ),

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/ATV/2014/YFZ450R+-+YFZ450REL/CLUTCH/parts.html

You will loose the 3 plates ( 2 frictions and a plate ) on the outside of your stock clutch but save the plate ( as it's one of the thin ones ) and use it to replace one of the thicker ones deeper in the stack.   Use the new thrust bearing assembly ( 23,4,5,6 ) instead of your WR one as the center hole in the throwout bearing for the YFZ is a little larger than the WR one.   I haven't put the YFZ trust bearing in mine yet as I'm just piecing together the info for this as I go along as prior documentation for this swap is pretty much nada.  It works with the WR one but it's not correct and it may be a problem down the road. 

I did run it around a bit today and it works like it's supposed to.    I don't have time to pick up the yzf TB as I'm heading off on a dive trip come Sunday for two weeks in the Philippines.    I'll do a full writeup with pics when I get back here and on supermotojunkies.com. 

1 person likes this

I'll do a full writeup with pics when I get back here and on supermotojunkies.com. 

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised that this isn't a more common swap.

If you ever have it apart again, you may want a few more holes, but that should help a decent bit. Hope it works out well for you - easy job, huh?

If you ever have it apart again, you may want a few more holes, but that should help a decent bit. Hope it works out well for you - easy job, huh?

I added 12 new holes in addition to the 6 that come stock. It was super easy. The whole thing took less than an hour which includes filing down the grooves in the basket.

I'll be riding tomorrow so I can report back if it feels any different and if I can reliably start in gear. My 12 hates to start in gear so this was the main reason I am trying this.

Awesome. I've seen it a couple other times. I'd like to start in gear so let me know how it goes. I'll prob be doing it this weekend

The Swiss cheese mod worked wonders for my in gear starting. I started in gear every time today besides the first time to warm the bike up. Every time it took about one second to fire up. Before drilling the holes I wouldn't even bother trying to start in gear because 80% of the time it just wouldn't. I didn't tell any difference in the "feel" or engagement but that's not the reason I did this. I did it for the in gear starting and for that it made a huge difference!

1 person likes this

The Swiss cheese mod worked wonders for my in gear starting. I started in gear every time today besides the first time to warm the bike up. Every time it took about one second to fire up. Before drilling the holes I wouldn't even bother trying to start in gear because 80% of the time it just wouldn't. I didn't tell any difference in the "feel" or engagement but that's not the reason I did this. I did it for the in gear starting and for that it made a huge difference!

Thank you. That's exactly what I want. It will help immensely with races.

Which hand saw are you using ?   We have a little spring cleaning to do on some of our trails as well.

Nice pictures.

We had two 10 in Corona hand saws and they did better than expected .

Worth every penny @ $17 a piece from amazon.

1 person likes this

Finally cleaned it up after last weekends trip to Pismo .

vid%20still%202005._zpsq30b5opm.jpg

20160402_132159_zps8fx1v1sx.jpg

vid%20still%202004_zpsxifovm09.jpg

vid%20still%202017_zpspf0v2q6w.jpg

20160402_135813_zpsu0cossdj.jpg

A quick once over and it's ready to load up Friday morning for Stonyford .

Edited by still2smokin
3 people like this

It's been 98 hrs since I revalved my forks last winter and I thought it was time for a refresher. I changed the fork oil and bushings yesterday. Hopefully I got all the air out of the inner cartridges. The oil was surprisingly clean for almost 100 hrs, but the bushings on the left side were shot, the right could have probably gone another 20 hrs or so.

Installed Kenda Parker DT front and rear, intermediate direction; pinched the rear tube during install - first time ever doing a rear, good thing I had a replacement on hand. Cleaned up all associated components, rode it around the back yard and parked it. Really looking forward to testing these tires out, Ive read alot of good things about them.

Ive had this bike for 3.5 years and have put about 600 miles on it, during the rear tire changeover, I found that I only had 1 rimlock....I couldnt find another so I left it with one. I did notice at the dealer that the new bikes only have 1 also.

1 person likes this

I have added my IMS desert tank and I should have it plated soon for my MOAB trip on 26 April. So far the bike runs strong and I am very pleased.