2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,495 posts in this topic

Well not really today, but I bought it on Sunday. So I'll count that.

-Airbox mod/clean and oil

-Grey wire

-New tyres & tubes

-General tidy up and maintenance

10646746_10153331588498908_1877263936315

Went back to the Yamalink on my 09 450 and I like it I won't be riding too aggresive anymore I think......? I Like being able to tuch the ground with almost all my feet

I have a 2000 wr400 and I was wondering if I could use a yz400 tank and seat on it?

Do so!

I had a '98 WR400F my buddy still(!) has a WR426F and we both loved the ergos of the YZ tank+seat combo.

The WR radiators are a little bit wider but still no offroad bike then had that slim a waist line,

not to metion the ease one can slide one's weight forward!

Edited by WRF-Rowdy

AtomicGeo, on 19 May 2015 - 6:25 PM, said:

New Carbon Fiber Frame Guards on my 2014.  :thumbsup:

WP_20150519_001_zpsfwut9ls1.jpg

WP_20150519_004_zpsey3i5ot7.jpg

Hi Atomic, can you provide more info on the frame guards like brand, cost, and where to get?  And are they offered in any other material other than carbon fiber? Thanks!

1 person likes this

Hi Atomic, can you provide more info on the frame guards like brand, cost, and where to get?  And are they offered in any other material other than carbon fiber? Thanks!

Their made by light speed and their pretty much a carbon only company.

1 person likes this

Their made by light speed and their pretty much a carbon only company.

Correct. They were the only company I could Find that had some for the FI WRs.

Put in a timing chain with a home made roter pulley n sheeve holder .quit down the moter heaps ,who says the wrs are loud moters

Put in a timing chain with a home made roter pulley n sheeve holder .quit down the moter heaps ,who says the wrs are loud moters

My engine sounds like a bag of bolts. People tell me all the time that it sounds bad ahaha. 7 years and 12k later and it still sounds like its about to blow but it never has.

1 person likes this

Time for a new rear tire. 

Got a full year out of this M5B, including several tune ups with a knobby knife.  It was my first time using a knobby knife and I now know to stay away from the bottom leading edge of the knobs.  Overall the KK worked really well.  The tire actually got better in snotty conditions as it wore down and I did more doctoring.  Notice that I cut the big middle knob in half.  I also cut some of the side knobs in half.  

This was the only missing knob and I abused this tire on rocky hill climbs several times.  Though most of our riding is on soft/wet forest, which is probably why it lasted as long as it did.  I would've kept running the tire if it wasn't for the missing knob. 

It still had decent traction.  Keeping the knobby edge sharp makes a huge difference in traction over a rounded edge.

I went with a 130 this time.  The old one was a 140.

20150615_224554.jpg

20150616_000112.jpg

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

Bought an FMF Q4 muffler originally for an 06 yz450 for my 01 wr426 dont know if it even fits.

Hooray me! Worste case scenario i can resell it. Got it for $250 cdn used so it wasnt too bad.

20 mile ride today.  It was 85F at the truck.  Who knows how hot it was in the clearings where there was full sun and no wind.  90F ? 95F ?  We would have done the big loop but people were feeling the heat.

Started with 5 riders.  The guy with the dual sport bike couldn't keep up and was done 40 minutes in.  Another rider stayed with him.  That left me, the Gasgas 300 and the KTM 250 2t to play chase in the trees.  So much fun.

I managed to take a branch to the helmet and get it caught in my visor.  This knocked me off the bike, which then fell into a tree, which rotated the treebuster bar into my Magura clutch hydraulic line, damaging it.  By the end of the ride I had no clutch !

Did I mention how much fun this all was ?  I was easily keeping up with the Gasgas and the KTM, both ridden by experienced riders.  In fact, the KTM rider always wanted me to go ahead because I was following too close most of the time.

My WR works great with all the mods I've done to it.   It handles really well and the power is perfect for the trees.  I've got my rear suspension working great.  Changing the HS compression adjuster piston made a huge difference.  I need to tweak the forks with stiffer springs and  remove the bleed valve.

Quote of the day.  "Every time I see you climb another hill, I want a 4 stroke just a little bit more."

Up above the treeline on the ridge.

FullSizeRender.jpg

If you look across the valley you can see where the tree line is.   We started down in the valley.

Edit: FYI, no more overheating issues with the 2.1 bar rad cap.  This was my 3rd ride of the year, with lots of hill climbs, tight trees, etc.  No overheating.  The only time I've seen any steam was for 1 second at the top of a very big climb when the guy in front of me stalled and blocked the trail.  I had to come to a complete stop and wait until he cleared, then slip the clutch like crazy to get going again.  It steamed a tiny bit.  It was fine after that.  I don't run a rad fan and I've removed the boil over bottle.  I think the engine runs much cooler with the YZ exhaust cam.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy
1 person likes this

Pulled the boot off my clutch line and found the hydraulic line itself was fine.  The fitting going into the master cylinder came loose.   All it needs is bleeding.

Decided to get stator cover plugs aluminum finally and an oil filler cap. Got some gift cards to rockymountain so it was only 4 dollars with shipping

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By TheAirborneCheese
      I live in northwest Virginia (Charlottesville area)  about an hour south of DC, I am not aware of any tracks in the area that are either public (or private but allow people to ride with permission).  Does anyone know of any good tracks in my area?
      - Airborne
    • By Preston C.
      Hello,
      For this summer, I was looking for a project. As a desert/trial, and occasionally single track rider from Southern California, any time of the year works for a build like this.
      I grew up riding two-stroke and after a couple years on four strokes, I want to return to the enduro king. However, KTM and Husky sell their bikes for quite a high price tag.
      So, I have decided I want to take an older two stroke motocross bike i.e. cr250, yz250, etc., and make it the ultimate desert bike for significantly less than a new KTM.
      I am not loyal to one brand, but I have always loved Honda and spent a grand a month ago on all new gear with Honda's name plastered all over it. 
      I know all the mods I want to do the bikes to make them enduro/desert ready: heavy flywheel, 18 inch rear wheel, new exhaust, steering stabilizer, etc.
      What I need help in is I don't know what bikes I can install a wide ratio transmission in. I know yz250 can take a 400 or 426 transmission, but can any other brand?
      I would like to see a cr250 with the gears of a 450x rippin through the desert. I like the steel frame for off road use, and I just need some advice on the best bike for this conversion.
      Thanks
    • By scr200
      For sale is my 2007 YZ250F. This bike is very well setup for trails or harescrambles. I am not the original owner, but have service records. This bike has been well maintained and runs great. Starts first or second kick. Engine and transmission rebuilt about 10hrs ago and I just did a valve clearance check and shim. There are over $3000 worth of parts on this bike. I also have a couple boxes of OEM and aftermarket spares that I will sell for extra. Only issues are a leaky left fork seal (I have the OEM fork seal replacement kit and will include with purchase) and the radiators are slightly twisted, but 100% functional. I have two brand new replacement radiators with a radiator guard/brace that I can throw in if sold at asking price. I am asking $3200 OBO. Please contact me via email in Craigslist ad or PM me here. Located in Fishersville, VA.
      https://charlottesville.craigslist.org/mcy/6138892312.html

Engine: (rebuild @ 39.5hrs)
      -HotCam Stage 2 cams
      -Hot Rods crank (factory stroke)
      -New seals
      -Polished & deburred gears
      -Cylinder works top-end @ 13.5:1 compression ratio
      -Cylinder head ported and polished
      -New OEM valves and springs

Bike:
      -GPR V4 Pro Kit stabilizer and top Triple Clamp 
      -Rekluse Core 3.0 clutch
      -Excel rims front and rear w/ 18" rear rim
      -Dr.D full SS exhaust and silencer
      -Dual Sport Armory suspension rebuilt Spring 2016 and setup for 205lb rider w/ gear
      -GYTR skid plate
      -ASV un-breakable levers
      -CV4 radiator hoses
      -Tusk oversized radiators
      -IMS oversized gas tank
      -Hammerhead +10 shift lever
      -Hammerhead billet brake lever
      -Ride Engineering axle blocks
      -Tusk magnetic oil drain plug
      -Works Connection brake reservoir cover
      -TM DesignWorks chain guide and roller
      -Race Tech shock spring 
      -Acerbis front rotor guard
      -Rear rotor guard
      -Pro Taper handelbars
      -Cyra Pro Bend hand guards
      -G2 Ergonomics threaded bar insert
      -Motion Pro throttle and clutch cables
      -JD Jet Kit
      -Dr.D Wet Sump kit
      -Unknown brand taller seat
      -More on the bike that I've forgotten to mention

Full disclosure, here is a thread about some issues I had with the bike, but have fixed. The bike is running great now due to the help on this forum: 

• By Bryan Bosch
      Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing Rider Tops Podium in Belo Horizonte

May 21, 2017 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – With the four-day event cut short after day two due to environmental concerns beyond the event organisers’ control, Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Graham Jarvis has been declared the winner of the 2017 edition of Minas Riders having ended day two as the overall leader.

Jarvis entered the second edition of the Brazilian race determined to start things off with a victory. Ending a rain-soaked prologue as runner-up, he then went on the attack when the race entered the mountains for the first off-road day.
      Pushing hard throughout the five-hour plus opening day of hard enduro racing, the Husqvarna rider claimed a three-minute margin of victory to establish an early lead. Maintaining his position at the head of the field with second on day one, Jarvis was holding a two-minute buffer over his nearest rival Cody Webb as the race entered its second half.

But with days three and four cancelled, Jarvis unexpectedly found himself as the early winner of the 2017 edition of the Brazilian Hard Enduro Rally.
      With victory in Brazil, the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing rider now looks to add one more victory to his 2017 campaign at Austria’s ErzbergRodeo in June.

Final Classification — Red Bull Minas Riders 2017
      1. Graham Jarvis (Husqvarna) 5:46:47 
      2. Cody Webb (KTM) 5:49:29
      3. Alfredo Gomez (KTM) 6:03:51
      4. Philipp Scholz (KTM) 6:15:01
      5. Paul Bolton (KTM) 6:37:28
      6. Pol Tarres (Beta) 6:52:57
      Husqvarna Motorcycles. Tradition on two wheels since 1903.
      Husqvarna Motorcycles are widely known and respected in the off-road world for a heritage of competition and numerous motocross and enduro world championships. Originally founded in Sweden in 1903, Husqvarna Motorcycles have been designed and manufactured in Mattighofen, Austria since 2013.
      Rockstar Energy Drink
      Rockstar Energy Drink is designed for those who lead active lifestyles – from Athletes to Rockstars. Available in over 20 flavors at convenience and grocery outlets in over 30 countries, Rockstar supports the Rockstar lifestyle across the globe through Action Sports, Motor Sports, and Live Music. For more information visit: www.RockstarEnergy.com
      Source: Husqvarna Motorcycles GmbH
    • By SprytnySpawacz
      Hi, my stator on my 99 wr400f sumo needs a replacement but I cannot seem to find any here in Ireland and I need it ASAP so 3 week deliveries can't do, will a stator from any other dirt bike fit right in as a replacement? No wr400 s here so I need to look for other ones for breaking, thank you!