2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,495 posts in this topic

Put a new set of tires on. Decided to go with Bridgestone S20 EVOs, 120/70-17 and 150/60-17. I need to pick up a set of tires for the dirt wheels too, they still have factory tires on them with very minimal use and I don't trust 13 year old tires. 

1926705_10101757394638915_36898060155331

And now a YZ tail, or at least I think that's what it is (the previous owner included it with the bike). Put a DRC Edge taillight on, need to figure out what to do for turn signals. 

10982045_10101760561138225_4261687300034

My bike is a 2007 WR450F with about 25 hours on it. I'm doing a bazillion mods, but performance wise:

Grey Wire

AIS Removed

Air Box Mod (just snorkels so far)

Throttle Stop Screw replaced

Exhaust mod via GYTR Replacement End Cap

I'm still digging through twenty thousands posts to figure out the jetting. I ride in the Sierras at 5000-8500 feet altitude. My rough guestimate at this point is:

Main jet: 168

Pilot Jet: 45

PAJ: 110

Leak Jet : 50

Starter Jet: 68

Fuel screw (turns out): stock 1.5

Needle Model/Clip position: No F'in clue

I'm very open to good advise on jetting from those that ride at the same altitude with the the same mods.

Cheers!

I ride between 4500 and 9000 on my 2007. Your MJ is way to high. Mine is a 160MJ and it's perfect. The rest of your setting are the same. I have an after market exhaust.

I did change my needle to the NCVS (YZ needle) 3rd clip down. 4th didn't pull as well. Definitely better then stock and a cheap mod. Buy at boats.net for 12.00.

Also people recommend this http://crfsonly.com/howto/keihin-fcr-carb/honda-crf-fcr-carb-update-how-to-install/how-to-install-honda-accelerator-pump-update-crf450r.php

I haven't done this yet, but I plan on it. I have only replaced the faulty accelerator pump spring.

Edited by RMK800
1 person likes this

Just ordered some full coverage backgrounds for my side panels and air box....it's gonna look sick.  :goofy:

Bike looks good! 

For blinkers- I am running tear drop style LED blinkers in the rear, tucked up near the seat, and into where the side panels have the cut out. Keeps them safe and they look like they are stock.

I am not doing SM on my bike- lots of dirt still, and my license plate is in the same place yours is- and its bent to crap  from dumping the bike.

cheers-

Dustin

And now a YZ tail, or at least I think that's what it is (the previous owner included it with the bike). Put a DRC Edge taillight on, need to figure out what to do for turn signals. 

10982045_10101760561138225_4261687300034

I ride between 4500 and 9000 on my 2007. Your MJ is way to high. Mine is a 160MJ and it's perfect. The rest of your setting are the same. I have an after market exhaust.

I did change my needle to the NCVS (YZ needle) 3rd clip down. 4th didn't pull as well. Definitely better then stock and a cheap mod. Buy at boats.net for 12.00.

Also people recommend this http://crfsonly.com/howto/keihin-fcr-carb/honda-crf-fcr-carb-update-how-to-install/how-to-install-honda-accelerator-pump-update-crf450r.php

I haven't done this yet, but I plan on it. I have only replaced the faulty accelerator pump spring.

Thanks for your input RMK800, one further question.

I'm trying to finish up the carb work and spent the better part of 4 hours digging through the forum.  Things get mixed up between model years, I recommend checking the carb to verify what jets actually came stock.

2007 WR450F (Riding Elevation 5000~9000 Feet / AVG Temp 55~85ºF / AVG Humidity ~45%)

Completed Mods:

Grey Wire

AIS Removed

Air Box Mod

Accelerator Pump Mod

TPS is connected, but I would like to make a switch to turn it on and off.  ON for trail and single track / OFF for longer highways stretches.

I decided on the following for a starting point:

Main Jet: Stock is #168 / Change to #160 (4MX-14943-39-00)

Pilot Jet: Stock is #45 / Keep Stock #45 (4MX-14948-05-00)

Leak Jet : Stock is #60 / Change to #50 (4JT-1494F-07-00)

Starter Jet: Stock is #65 / Change to #68 (3TJ-1494F-14-00)

Needle Model/Clip position: Stock is NFNT / Change to NCVS 3rd clip down. (5TA-14916-VS-00)

Pilot Air Jet: Stock is #70 / Change to #110 ?  I can't find this PAJ from the usual online sources.  I also found comments on the forum stating the PAJ should stay stock (#70) if your ACV remains active.  Perusing the Jetting database, there seems to be a pretty even split between people staying stock and people changing to #100/110.  Where can I get a 110 PAJ and exactly what does it do?

Input and comments appreciated.

1 person likes this

Fixed a poor connection on the dual sport kit on the 450 and doing D/S kit to my new to me 250...

Thanks for your input RMK800, one further question.

I'm trying to finish up the carb work and spent the better part of 4 hours digging through the forum. Things get mixed up between model years, I recommend checking the carb to verify what jets actually came stock.

2007 WR450F (Riding Elevation 5000~9000 Feet / AVG Temp 55~85ºF / AVG Humidity ~45%)

Completed Mods:

Grey Wire

AIS Removed

Air Box Mod

Accelerator Pump Mod

TPS is connected, but I would like to make a switch to turn it on and off. ON for trail and single track / OFF for longer highways stretches.

I decided on the following for a starting point:

Main Jet: Stock is #168 / Change to #160 (4MX-14943-39-00)

Pilot Jet: Stock is #45 / Keep Stock #45 (4MX-14948-05-00)

Leak Jet : Stock is #60 / Change to #50 (4JT-1494F-07-00)

Starter Jet: Stock is #65 / Change to #68 (3TJ-1494F-14-00)

Needle Model/Clip position: Stock is NFNT / Change to NCVS 3rd clip down. (5TA-14916-VS-00)

Pilot Air Jet: Stock is #70 / Change to #110 ? I can't find this PAJ from the usual online sources. I also found comments on the forum stating the PAJ should stay stock (#70) if your ACV remains active. Perusing the Jetting database, there seems to be a pretty even split between people staying stock and people changing to #100/110. Where can I get a 110 PAJ and exactly what does it do?

Input and comments appreciated.

Hmm I can't really comment on pilot air jet or starter jet. I never changed those.

The rest of your changes look good. I would also consider an after market fuel screw, make sure it's a brass one, don't put in a cheap aluminum.

I also did the stiffer accelerator pump spring instead of doing the O-ring mod.

You can try to get in touch with a member that helped me Krannie or kur ran ne... Something like that. He is very good and can help you with anything on the carb.

Edited by RMK800

Started installing my new Acerbis 3.3g tank and it looks like it will surely stop my gas boiling problem

as there is lots more room around the engine .    

20150224_170626_zpsdpwzzwtb.jpg

The IMS 3.1g tank carries its fuel lower and closer to the engine .

20150224_170601_zpsvoarco3c.jpg

20150224_170651_zpsdk3qr08u.jpg

not thrilled with the new graphics.......might just order a set of the graphics I had before .

20150226_223305_zpswpcuccd1.jpg

IMG_0479_zps73485659.jpg

Edited by still2smokin
2 people like this

Dont over think it. There is nothing wrong with the new graphics. Just not what you are used to looking at.

1 person likes this

Went to the garage to tinker with bike a little. Things got a little out of hand...

DSCN2537.jpg

1 person likes this

Started installing my new Acerbis 3.3g tank and it looks like it will surely stop my gas boiling problem

as there is lots more room around the engine .    

20150224_170626_zpsdpwzzwtb.jpg

The IMS 3.1g tank carries its fuel lower and closer to the engine .

20150224_170601_zpsvoarco3c.jpg

20150224_170651_zpsdk3qr08u.jpg

not thrilled with the new graphics.......might just order a set of the graphics I had before .

20150226_223305_zpswpcuccd1.jpg

IMG_0479_zps73485659.jpg

If you're interested in selling your old tank let me know, I could use a bigger tank for my bike and I'm local. 

Took my "new" 03 450 out on the trail today for the first time. Ran pretty well. Still trying to dial in the jetting, a little stutter down low. Happy with it overall.

Spent a couple hours sorting things out around the handlebars.  I'm using the Tusk hand guards with integrated turn signals and the other wiring to make her road legal.  Gatos Bros sent me some beautiful hand guard mounts and they work great.  I've got a thread going over here and will update it soon.

IMG_2388.jpg

I had to modify the brake line guide, but everything else fit perfectly.

IMG_2405.jpg

The Gatos Bros mounts save a lot of room on the handle bars.

IMG_2414.jpg

Slowly getting there.  I finally got my Clarke tank, Seat Concepts seat, and Pro Moto rack mounted.

IMG_2424.jpg

Traveling for work until April, so I won't be able to finish up till then.

Cheers!

If you're interested in selling your old tank let me know, I could use a bigger tank for my bike and I'm local. 

Not interested in selling or even giving to anybody .

That tank is a disaster waiting to happen which is why I replaced it .

It touches the cylinder head/ valve cover on both sides of the engine ,

eventually causing the gas to boil and pressurize the tank and then it bogs out most inconveniently

until you open the gas cap and let the bike/gas in the tank cool down enough to stop the boiling fuel .

Seriously , you don't want this IMS 3.1g tank and I would not feel right about passing on

a known time bomb .

IF you want a bigger tank buy the Acerbis 3.3g .

20150307_190652_zpsvuzxppcu.jpg

20150307_190818_zpsyhlsmpdg.jpg

It actually touches the head? Wow, that is pretty bad. 

I was figuring that since my bike is a supermoto I'd typically have more airflow and therefore lower fuel temps so it was less likely to be a problem, but I don't know how bad it is.