2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,495 posts in this topic

Where did you get that graphics kit? I have been searching for a good set myself

ebay, $51 for tank, shroud and airbox graphics, made by FX,  Evo11. 

So I just got a 2014 WR I busted it out of the crate today and started in doing regreasing the steering head bearings, linkage and swing arm for today. Tomorrow I'll do the pee shooter mod, I have on order a comp ecu, IMS tank, skid plate , HD tubes, bark busters. I'm hoping that will do it and it will be ready to go for The Colorado 500 next month.

1 person likes this

After riding the first half of the season on my other bike i decided to get the WR ready for some abuse..

Re-greased the streering bearings , linkage bearings and put some fresh rubber on..

photo22_zps343de7e1.jpg

all set to go.. :thumbsup:

IMG_3435_zpscfa34854.jpg

1 person likes this

Here's the actual tag bracket I made to fit with the existing LED tail light screw holes. $6 at Home Depot. [ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1404954766.338748.jpgattachment=164767:ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1404954688.638286.jpg]ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1404954702.638392.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1404954688.638286.jpg

P5260271.JPG

Mounted up some YZ450 SSS forks, Honda front brake, and stiffer Titanium rear shock spring. WOW!!! Those forks are INCREDIBLE!!!

Edited by MANIAC998
3 people like this

attachicon.gifP5260271.JPG

Mounted up some YZ450 SSS forks, Honda front brake, and stiffer Titanium rear shock spring. WOW!!! Those forks are INCREDIBLE!!!

That's a great picture. :thumbsup:

1 person likes this

attachicon.gifP5260271.JPG

Mounted up some YZ450 SSS forks, Honda front brake, and stiffer Titanium rear shock spring. WOW!!! Those forks are INCREDIBLE!!!

Those forks are an awesome addition to the WR - I put an '06 set on mine. Have you gone through them yet? Fluid levels, spring rate (I'm using the factory KYB .47 springs and they work great, 200 lbs no gear), and set up will really make those forks shine. I'd say I'm almost there.

However, I just bought a 2011 YZ250 2 stroke, and its suspension had been sent to Factory Connection and man is it awesome. I changed out the springs since I outweigh the PO (actually using the stock WR springs I had laying around), set fork fluid level (345 cc), set sag and wow, that bike handles beautifully and just takes whatever you want to ride over or jump off of.

I'm eventually going to disassemble the FC valving to see what all they did and try to copy it over to the WR with maybe a couple of changes since the WR weighs a lot more.

But there is so much to be said for revalving a suspension!

1 person likes this

Those forks are an awesome addition to the WR - I put an '06 set on mine. Have you gone through them yet? Fluid levels, spring rate (I'm using the factory KYB .47 springs and they work great, 200 lbs no gear), and set up will really make those forks shine. I'd say I'm almost there.

However, I just bought a 2011 YZ250 2 stroke, and its suspension had been sent to Factory Connection and man is it awesome. I changed out the springs since I outweigh the PO (actually using the stock WR springs I had laying around), set fork fluid level (345 cc), set sag and wow, that bike handles beautifully and just takes whatever you want to ride over or jump off of.

I'm eventually going to disassemble the FC valving to see what all they did and try to copy it over to the WR with maybe a couple of changes since the WR weighs a lot more.

But there is so much to be said for revalving a suspension!

No, I haven't had the chance to have them revalved yet. I probably will eventually. Maybe soon now, seeing as how I won't be riding for a short period of time.

While riding yesterday, I cross-rutted up the face of a tabletop, and went into launch mode totally sideways. SSS forks or not, they weren't going to save me from the beat-down I received upon landing. I did the "Whip of Death" into the ground with my head, and knocked myself out for a few minutes. My whole body aches today, including my head, so I'm going to let time heal up this latest wound.

Very sorry to hear that, I hope you get back up soon.

If your head hit pretty good, don't forget to take the liner out of your helmet to inspect the inner styrofoam layer. It doesn't take a lot to crack that and it might be new helmet time.

Very sorry to hear that, I hope you get back up soon.

If your head hit pretty good, don't forget to take the liner out of your helmet to inspect the inner styrofoam layer. It doesn't take a lot to crack that and it might be new helmet time.

First ride on my new Shoei , and yes, it will get de-commissioned. It did it's job, I'm still alive.

After riding the first half of the season on my other bike i decided to get the WR ready for some abuse..

Re-greased the streering bearings , linkage bearings and put some fresh rubber on..

photo22_zps343de7e1.jpg

all set to go!

What brand is that rear tire? Looks like it would be bad ass even in sand.

What brand is that rear tire? Looks like it would be bad ass even in sand.

Thats actually a worn down Michelin S12 i had taken my knobby knife to. the dual center lugs were worn down to a single wide block. it worked ok in the dry but its wet 80% of the time here.

Heres the fresh one..

photo21_zpsf93175f4.jpg

Thats actually a worn down Michelin S12 i had taken my knobby knife to. the dual center lugs were worn down to a single wide block. it worked ok in the dry but its wet 80% of the time here.

Heres the fresh one..

photo21_zpsf93175f4.jpg

Your bike is way too clean. Do you even ride it? LOL

Your bike is way too clean. Do you even ride it? LOL

Yes it is , Its actually been a year since i've had it out, I have multiple bikes and just prefer my 2 stroke for where i have been riding lately. 

I have no real brand favorite. Right tool for the job.. but i will say the WR has been my closest to a do all bike that i've had.  especially with the DS kit installed.

1 person likes this

Did some maintenance and put in a Shorai battery. I'm hoping this one lasts. My bike has gone through the cheap batteries at a rate of 1 per year. Don't know if this is just my bad luck or if all WRs do this. I've had the bike for just over 2 years now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By scr200
      For sale is my 2007 YZ250F. This bike is very well setup for trails or harescrambles. I am not the original owner, but have service records. This bike has been well maintained and runs great. Starts first or second kick. Engine and transmission rebuilt about 10hrs ago and I just did a valve clearance check and shim. There are over $3000 worth of parts on this bike. I also have a couple boxes of OEM and aftermarket spares that I will sell for extra. Only issues are a leaky left fork seal (I have the OEM fork seal replacement kit and will include with purchase) and the radiators are slightly twisted, but 100% functional. I have two brand new replacement radiators with a radiator guard /brace that I can throw in if sold at asking price. I am asking $3200 OBO. Please contact me via email in Craigslist ad or PM me here. Located in Fishersville, VA.
      https://charlottesville.craigslist.org/mcy/6138892312.html

Engine: (rebuild @ 39.5hrs)
      -HotCam Stage 2 cams
      -Hot Rods crank (factory stroke)
      -New seals
      -Polished & deburred gears
      -Cylinder works top-end @ 13.5:1 compression ratio
      -Cylinder head ported and polished
      -New OEM valves and springs

Bike:
      -GPR V4 Pro Kit stabilizer and top Triple Clamp 
      -Rekluse Core 3.0 clutch
      -Excel rims front and rear w/ 18" rear rim
      -Dr.D full SS exhaust and silencer
      -Dual Sport Armory suspension rebuilt Spring 2016 and setup for 205lb rider w/ gear
      -GYTR skid plate
      -ASV un-breakable levers
      -CV4 radiator hoses
      -Tusk oversized radiators
      -IMS oversized gas tank
      -Hammerhead +10 shift lever
      -Hammerhead billet brake lever
      -Ride Engineering axle blocks
      -Tusk magnetic oil drain plug
      -Works Connection brake reservoir cover
      -TM DesignWorks chain guide and roller
      -Race Tech shock spring 
      -Acerbis front rotor guard
      -Rear rotor guard
      -Pro Taper handelbars
      -Cyra Pro Bend hand guards
      -G2 Ergonomics threaded bar insert
      -Motion Pro throttle and clutch cables
      -JD Jet Kit
      -Dr.D Wet Sump kit
      -Unknown brand taller seat
      -More on the bike that I've forgotten to mention

Full disclosure, here is a thread about some issues I had with the bike, but have fixed. The bike is running great now due to the help on this forum: 

• By Bryan Bosch
      Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing Rider Tops Podium in Belo Horizonte

May 21, 2017 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – With the four-day event cut short after day two due to environmental concerns beyond the event organisers’ control, Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Graham Jarvis has been declared the winner of the 2017 edition of Minas Riders having ended day two as the overall leader.

Jarvis entered the second edition of the Brazilian race determined to start things off with a victory. Ending a rain-soaked prologue as runner-up, he then went on the attack when the race entered the mountains for the first off-road day.
      Pushing hard throughout the five-hour plus opening day of hard enduro racing, the Husqvarna rider claimed a three-minute margin of victory to establish an early lead. Maintaining his position at the head of the field with second on day one, Jarvis was holding a two-minute buffer over his nearest rival Cody Webb as the race entered its second half.

But with days three and four cancelled, Jarvis unexpectedly found himself as the early winner of the 2017 edition of the Brazilian Hard Enduro Rally.
      With victory in Brazil, the Rockstar Energy Husqvarna Factory Racing rider now looks to add one more victory to his 2017 campaign at Austria’s ErzbergRodeo in June.

Final Classification — Red Bull Minas Riders 2017
      1. Graham Jarvis (Husqvarna) 5:46:47 
      2. Cody Webb (KTM) 5:49:29
      3. Alfredo Gomez (KTM) 6:03:51
      4. Philipp Scholz (KTM) 6:15:01
      5. Paul Bolton (KTM) 6:37:28
      6. Pol Tarres (Beta) 6:52:57
      Husqvarna Motorcycles. Tradition on two wheels since 1903.
      Husqvarna Motorcycles are widely known and respected in the off-road world for a heritage of competition and numerous motocross and enduro world championships. Originally founded in Sweden in 1903, Husqvarna Motorcycles have been designed and manufactured in Mattighofen, Austria since 2013.
      Rockstar Energy Drink
      Rockstar Energy Drink is designed for those who lead active lifestyles – from Athletes to Rockstars. Available in over 20 flavors at convenience and grocery outlets in over 30 countries, Rockstar supports the Rockstar lifestyle across the globe through Action Sports, Motor Sports, and Live Music. For more information visit: www.RockstarEnergy.com
      Source: Husqvarna Motorcycles GmbH
    • By SprytnySpawacz
      Hi, my stator on my 99 wr400f sumo needs a replacement but I cannot seem to find any here in Ireland and I need it ASAP so 3 week deliveries can't do, will a stator from any other dirt bike fit right in as a replacement? No wr400 s here so I need to look for other ones for breaking, thank you!
    • By Krannie McKranface
      This current fad of people going all ga-ga over KTM motorcyles is hilarious.

Over priced, under engineered 'fashion' statement motorcycles are duping people left and right into this fake engineering game.

Iv'e seen this same thing before with cars: Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Maserati, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghit, etc, etc.

Create a really stunning 'hook' of a machine, that everyone wants to own, then sell enough to figure out how to keep them from blowing up, and falling apart, hopefully by the next model year or two.

Oh, don't get me wrong....Mercedes does make some really great cars. But MOST of the cars they make are not so hot.  They are poorly designed, over priced, and un-reliable.  Same with the other euro manufactuers. Fiat make several really great cars, like the 500. But all the rest are just garbage commerce.

This is EXACTLY what KTM is doing. 

Throw 15 different models on the market, all based on old technology, but with shiny billet parts, or ultra-impressive specs, and see what happens.

KTM is providing their customers with sub-standard quality and engineering on dozens of levels, selling it as 'high-tech' and then ignoring all the issues with oil starvation, throttle bodies, frames, triple clamps, shock mounts, CDI's, bars, brakes, rims, hubs, all failing, braking wearing out extremely fast, or in the case of motor internals, make them to such terrible tolerances that you cannot change broken parts with new parts, unless you buy the matching case it was machined to.

I have never seen or experienced such CRAP sold as a premium brand in my life, accept Audi in the 90's and Maico in the 80's. 

I've owned (2) 2012 KTM's that both failed on several levels, that the KTM factory, KTM usa and my dealer could not resolve. 
      I even had KTM USA tell me 'that's just the way it is with new bikes sometimes. We don't have an answer to your problem, sorry". 

My dealer was so frustrated that they now refuse to work on any KTM that has been modifed in the suspension, electronics, or motor, period, even out of warranty.
      They also will not replace any internal motor parts below the piston without replacing the entire motor, no exceptions.

Yeah I know: ..... " My KTM is great, I've never had a problem with it" .  Well good for you. You are in the 50% that actually get a 'good' one.

Did you know that until recently  (2010) KTM would and did make as many as 6 different gasket sets for one model of motor, depending on what portion of the year it was made? They actually look up gasket kits by serial number, because the factory produced a motor with so many flaws and failures that they had to upgrade the motor in the production line 6 times in one year....rather than just get it right and then push it on the general public. 

I talked to an KTM partially sponsered Enduro team at a D36 race in 2012 about KTM reliability, and this is what they told me:

" Oh, we get 50-75 hours out of the factory motor, no problem. They run great, most of the time. Not quite as long as the Yamaha we used to run, but they are Ok. The real problem comes when we try to rebuild them. We cannot get a rebuilt motor to last 1/2 as long as a new one, because there are so many parts in the KTM motors that are stressed at 100% from day one, that the whole motor, not just the top end, wears out very fast". We try not to rebuild the motors, we just sell off the whole bike and start over with a new one."

Hopefully, honest, non-Germanic companies like Beta and Sherco will take some of KTM's market share away.

Long die KTM.

• By nate9521
      Are you suppose to be able to go through the gears with the cases split? Got my 03 yz450 split and its really hard to turn the shift cam with my hand. I can get neutral, 1st, and 2nd but not the other two gears. All of the components are in great shape. No sign of wear