2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,502 posts in this topic

I've never seen a valve shim bucket break before. Any thoughts on what caused it? High RPM's?

Hey Boise, I think I'm finally reaching the point (or just getting old) where I would like to soften up the old seat a little. How do you like and how much was your Guts seat? and where did you get yours? I'm not to far from you. I'm kinda hoping to find something that doesn't bunch up my depends when I ride. :) Seriously, I need something a little better than the stocker.

Hey Boise, I think I'm finally reaching the point (or just getting old) where I would like to soften up the old seat a little. How do you like and how much was your Guts seat? and where did you get yours? I'm not to far from you. I'm kinda hoping to find something that doesn't bunch up my depends when I ride. :) Seriously, I need something a little better than the stocker.

I love the Guts Racing seat so far. I ordered mine direct from the factory for $130 ($60 tall seat cover, $70 tall foam). My wife got them for me for Christmas, and did really well, but she got me the "soft" foam instead of the "medium", so I probably didn't end up with any extra height by ordering the "tall" foam since it compresses down easier, but it sure feels comfortable!

The company has awesome customer service... I called and was asking questions about mounting glue and staples (never did an aftermarket seat cover before), and they just told me to send in my seat base and they installed the foam and cover for me for free.

Don't hesitate... your hiney will thank you :thumbsup:

http://www.gutsracing.com/detail.aspx?ID=2984

http://www.gutsracing.com/detail.aspx?ID=2966

IMG3201_zps442d7364.jpg

Is there somthing missing from this pic ?

I got the bottom end to spin freely by pulling big chunks of plastic from the gear the turns the timming chain.

Shouldn't there be a rub block on the inside of the valve cover ? I don't see it on any of the diagrams .

Really ?!? My shit blew up becuase a rub block fell off ........so not cool .

Shouldn't there be a rub block on the inside of the valve cover ? I don't see it on any of the diagrams .

I just looked at mine and it has one.

1 person likes this

So after installing my three 1.85 mm intake shims I'm a little looser than I calculated but I think/hope I’m ok.

I can slide my .006” feeler gauge in each with fairly significant drag but the .007” is a down-right no go.

I just looked at mine and it has one.

Does it look like this ....

IMG3226_zpsd08f19bd.jpg

JK, this was wrapped around the crakshaft and it has to be that piece. I mean part of it .

Thanks for looking , I guess a new valve cover gets added to the parts list .

Edited by still2smokin
1 person likes this

That's impressive. Never ever heard of that happening!! I wonder if the cover was just defective, or if the chain was somehow slapping it and fatigued something. Now I am going to play with every valve cover I take off, just to see if I can get one of those wear blocks to break off......

So after installing my three 1.85 mm intake shims I'm a little looser than I calculated but I think/hope I’m ok.

I can slide my .006” feeler gauge in each with fairly significant drag but the .007” is a down-right no go.

Too loose is better than too tight. Besides, the clearances just tighten up as the valves heat or stretch anyway. .0065 inch intake is just fine. My WR508 motard is getting a bit slow to start, I think its time to take my own advice soon. All those rev-limiter bonsai runs must be adding up lol.....

whats the green wire mod? froze your butt off?? ?

I washed her up and got her all ready for the Desert 100

P1010764.JPG

Edited by n16ht5
1 person likes this

The green wire mod is when you attach a green wire to the grey wire coming from the CDI and to a toggle switch then to ground.

Any color of wire would work but the Kawasaki owner in me said green would make it faster. :lol:

Maybe I will see you in Odessa. I'm not doing the Sunday race but plan to do one of the poker runs on Saturday.

1 person likes this

@ n16ht5

I am jealous you have snow and what looks like nice warm greenery. We are still in the snow everywhere here.

phone 122512 223.jpg

2 people like this

My wiring harness showed up today, well I guess it's a start :rolleyes:

IMG3265_zpsc1de1930.jpg

Edited by still2smokin
1 person likes this

I picked up a blue '01 wr426 in good/excellent condition a few weeks ago. I bought it to convert to street legal.

Yesterday I figured out how to float the ground w/o modding the stator (after opening it up anyway), replaced the stock bulbs w/ bright LED's, the t/s's are LED, I mounted the sla battery up under and in front of the taillight and mounted a GY6 scooter reg/rect I bought on ebay for $5.

Today I'm building the loom taking care to leave everything unadultered so it can be returned to stock by simply reconnecting, re-mounting etc. i.e. no wire snipping.

These are really fun bikes to work on, I did the blue wire mod and will be doing the throttle stopscrew after I ride it some more so I can feel the difference. The baffle was removed from the stock muffler but other than that it is bone stock. Once I learned the chicken dance it has been easy to start at any temp, in fact as long as it isn't cold it starts w/ no choke. Somebody on this sight really hit it home when they said if you have trouble starting it to work your procedure from leaner to richer i.e. try w/o choke or twists and work richer from there (really good advice).

Cheers!