2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,495 posts in this topic

Wow that does look really good. So I see you do not have any blinkers. Don't you need them in the UK to make your bike street legal? If you decide to put some on look at the ones on this web site(sicassracing.com) they have some blinkers that are really sick. I switched to them in 2008 and have never broke one yet and tons of people on here have done the same. I am sure if you do put blinkers on then you could probably find someone in the UK selling something similar.

Really nice work though. It is like getting a new bike all over again.

Thanks for the link - they do look good don't they ?

In the UK you don't need them - if you have them they must work - that's all :smirk:

I may upgrade further to add some ... I'll see how it goes - if I do I will definitely get some similar to those you mentioned - thanks again :bonk:

It really is like getting a new bike again - silly as it's all behind me when I'm on it - but I guess that's all everyone else gets to see :banana:

Keep on keepin' on - Baz :busted:

Finally finished the back end overhaul! Made the mistake of trying to support my local brick and mortar by getting the swingarm bearings from them. Only took four days. Could have gotten them cheaper and faster online but hey it's what I get for trying to support the little guy, right?

I hate to say it but this thing has started to lose it's luster, I'm working on it as much as riding and I don't get to ride it very much. Probably gonna hit the block in the next few days if I don't wake up feeling better about it.

Oh well, that's life.

This is what I have been working on for the past 3 months, almost done now, video is a few weeks old now

All those days of loading it and riding it are catching up to you. Its time to give it back some TLC.
Well problem is I paid too much for a worn out bike that hadn't gotten it's proper TLC in.....well ever I think. It looked good, what I could see looked and felt really good. It started pretty well. I've taken it out serious dirtin once. The rest is putting around here. It had just been neglected, as in it had no oil when I got it home. None. It took one solid quart to get it on the stick none. I know that it got a full days thrashing just before I got it, I test rode it ten miles then putted around here a couple of miles before I got the book out and did the oil check dance. No kidding, one quart to make it touch the stick. I know the guy, I thought he had that covered. Not this time.

The front wheel bearings? Bone dry. Head bearings? Not much better. Water pump seal puked after a week, goes through near as much oil as gas, found the bearings in every moving part of the back half except the rear wheel in awful shape, string cheese still in the swingarm linkage. This spring will include a ring job if the cylinder is in serviceable condition.

Caveat emptor. I paid about $700 too much by my estimate. Considering I have only 20ish off road miles on her it just seems I'm absolving a lot of other peoples sins. I expected to take care of a few things, not need to overhaul the bike.

Just whining I guess, money is simply too tight (Got a kid going to college next year, killing myself trying to pay off as much as possible.) for these problems, my wife already declared that I'm going dirting next week whether I like it or not, maybe that will make me feel better.

I did it a few days a go to check for some crack under the engine case:smirk:

Luckily, it was just a small scratch!

2011-12-15163213.jpg

Wadded a chain last ride, so I put on:

Moose HPO 520 O-ring chain

Moose 50T Aluminum (blue) rear w/ Moose lock Bolt kit

Moose 14T Moly/Steel front

Chain guide

Prior to that ride, I had just put on new ProTaper SE bars and PT grips.

I need to cut them down a bit - too wide for the tight pinewoods.

My riding group or should I say a scaled down version of my riding group went to Moab last week. I had a Christmas party on my wife's side so I didnt get to go but this is some of what I missed.

Dead Cow Tube on the backside of White Wash Sand Dunes drains into the Green River. Last year I crashed and tore my MCL at the bottom of this trail.

deadcow3.jpg

deadcow2.jpg

deadcow1.jpg

Installed FMF Power Core 4.1 Titanium and Power Bomb Header:cheers:, sounds good can't to take it for a spin weather sucks today:cry:.

Was a great buy for $180 on Ebay:thumbsup:.

Got to take it for a quick spin after putting in winter needle.Wow:jawdrop:What a difference the the exhaust system made. Looking forward to go riding now:ride::bonk:.

I bought the parts separately from Ebay

UFO WR/YZ rear mudguard UFO code: YA02897089 @ £26.00 GBP

VISION MX RFX LED tail light @ £19.39 GBP

A few plastic bumper-trim clips and that's it.

Glad U like it :bonk:

So that would make it an '02 YZ fender?

Rode the fire out of her, went really hard bottom of the frame first into a tree then decided to give her a bath tomorrow. I'm worn out!

So that would make it an '02 YZ fender?

Yes - that's right ............. you gonna get one ? They are a fantastic fit - really easy ! :bonk:

If you do - take some pix ..... Baz

Crashed doing a hill climb today. Ended up rendering both front adn read brakes inoperable with the one get off. The front lever snapped off near the pivot, not enough left ot even get one finger on. The rear brake lever got bent bad, and the master cylinder push rod yanked itself clear out of the master. Also ripped up my fairly new pillow top grip on the throttle side. That lasted all of two rides...

Ordered some used parts off e-bay a few minutes ago. Hope the wife doesn't find out.

DSCF2156.jpg

DSCF2157.jpg

DSCF2160.jpg

Edited by zlathim
added pics

Crashed doing a hill climb today. Ended up rendering both front adn read brakes inoperable with the one get off. The front lever snapped off near the pivot, not enough left ot even get one finger on. The rear brake lever got bent bad, and the master cylinder push rod yanked itself clear out of the master. Also ripped up my fairly new pillow top grip on the throttle side. That lasted all of two rides...

Ordered some used parts off e-bay a few minutes ago. Hope the wife doesn't find out.

At least you didn't break your arm on your ride. You can't hide that from the wife:smirk:

At least you didn't break your arm on your ride. You can't hide that from the wife:smirk:

Very true!

BTW- Thanks again for the decomp lever and perch. They actually survived the crash!!

I run the Cycra Racing ProBend hand guards. Once they went on my bike and my daughter's bike, we haven't broken any more clutch or front brake levers.

I'm surprised that you could tear up the rear brake lever where it could take out the piston into the master cylinder. Do you have a picture of the damage?

Very true!

BTW- Thanks again for the decomp lever and perch. They actually survived the crash!!

Excellent!

I run the Cycra Racing ProBend hand guards. Once they went on my bike and my daughter's bike, we haven't broken any more clutch or front brake levers.

I'm surprised that you could tear up the rear brake lever where it could take out the piston into the master cylinder. Do you have a picture of the damage?

I have some handguards, but I don't really like them because my hand feels squished when they are installed. I might have to think about putting them back on.

The master cylinder pushrod has a washer and a snap ring that capture it in the bore. The snap ring keeps the washer in the bore. The washer is situated kind of like a collar around the pushrod. The hole in the washer is smaller than the outside diameter of the knob on the pushrod, so the washer is captured on the narrow stem portion of the pushrod. The snap ring contains the washer which in turns contains the pushrod. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but you can see how the pushrod is supposed to look in the image below:

mc_kit.jpg

When my brake lever was getting shoved up, the pushrod got yanked out past the washer and snap ring. You can see the pushrod and the washer are seperate in this picture:

DSCF2157.jpg

That put the pushrod on the outside looking in so to speak, and my rear brake lever would not depress. It made for an interesting ride back to the staging area since I now had no way to activate either the front or rear brakes:banghead:

Did that happen out at Paradise?

DSCF2156.jpg

DSCF2157.jpg

DSCF2160.jpg

I put a brake snake on my pedal so that doesnt happen. This may scare me enough to try to fabricate a brake pedal stop like the Endurocross bikes are using now. Basically it is a poly or aluminum block that fits into the swingarm pivot recess in the frame. Most that I have seen are using a handguard bar end lock to hold this block into the hollow end of the swingarm pivot bolt.