2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,495 posts in this topic

Went for my first ride on my new 2008 WR450, (havnt ridden a moto since i was a a kid) love the bike to death! Very mild mannered for a beginner, i was expecting it to be more wild at all rev ranges (i stayed low to mid for a lot of today) which is great, but still gets up and boogies when you twist it (had to back off a couple of times to get the front wheel back down) love it

Josh

Have you done the throttle stop screw mod yet? If not, you haven't seen nothing yet!

:eek:

Have you done the throttle stop screw mod yet? If not, you haven't seen nothing yet!

:eek:

LOL no, from what ive read I think ill wait a while before doing the scary mods! Sounds like you can really open these things up

Josh

LOL no, from what ive read I think ill wait a while before doing the scary mods! Sounds like you can really open these things up

Josh

haha...yeah you sure can, i still havn't done the Hotcams but i've done everything else including a quickturn throttle tube and the first time back on the track after doing all of it i couldn't stop from wheeling out of corners and standing it stright in the air off jumps :eek:

today i removed the rear fender decal cause the white turned red in the sun somehow... tomorrow i've got to straighten the front fender cause the cover i had over it + the heat cause it to fold over :smirk:

I feel like hit by a truck after an all day ride last wednesday, I'm even eating Astazan to try to recover.

As I lost all fluid off the radiator, I need to put a new antifreeze on it. - I have been buying some xtra expensive motorcycle fluid that has boiling point of +265°F. - But perhaps a regular antifreeze does the same anyway.

Well, as I have a temperature gauge, I could see that the heat of the water went upto 141 °C, so no wonder I lost the coolant.

I'm also going to change the oil, cause of this overheating.

As I was exhausted during the ride, a friend of mine switched bikes with me. He lent me his KTM 400 EXE (2006). - What a difference through the rough part. I often stall the WR 450 in rough conditions, but it rarely happened on the KTM. - It has a smooth power delivery, but the WR 450 is more like all or nothing witch makes it loose track in loose, hilly conditions. I also loved the hydrolic clutch and the suspension is smoother.

Josh

Good call! It's always good to get to know your ride before tapping its full potential. :eek:

On my '99WR400 installed and wired new headlight, front fender, kickstand, and left side hand grip, because it always smacks a tree or gets laid down on a rock and the normal rubber ones rip, resulting in moisture under the grip and the grip slipping around on me. :eek:

Headlight: http://www.polisport.com/motorbikes/produtos.php?ID=43

Fender: http://www.polisport.com/motorbikes/produtos.php?ID=6693

Kickstand: http://www.trailtech.net/5002-YZ-WR.html

Grip: http://www.odigrips.com/intensedownhillgrips.aspx

My Baby:

photo.php?fbid=10150274537967284&set=a.428218447283.202639.515722283&type=1&theater

Edited by ArcticWR400
Fixed Links

Got out for a run, and ended up doing more back road pavement then dirt, and...it was fun!

I can see tires being a serious issue though :eek:

Rode my '03 WR450 for the first time in the NC woods. Gobs of power!

It's quite a bit different from the 2 strokes I usually ride around here.

I can't get it to chug the way I'd like, so maybe I'll start a thread to get some answers to some setup questions.

I shot some video and we had a laugh as I was tossed around a bit and stalled it several times.

mmmm went for a 40km ride, starting to get used to the bike, wicked.

Came ripping round a corner on some local single track and had to jump on the anchors real hard, lol there was a 6 foot snake spread across the track, scared the crap outa me!

Josh

Hooked up a pressure switch for the rear brake light, added a mirror, and a street legal plate and registration :eek::smirk:

LOVING the DS thing......

Have discovered the following two facts:

The Dunlop MX51 is not going to last long on the rear (I have a brand new Maxxis Desert IT sitting in the garage however, which I KNOW will last a lot better.)

The 14/48 gearing combo needs to be a bit taller. Considering a 15/50 or a 15/48 setup...leaning towards 15/48, but not completely made up my mind against the 15/50 just yet....

I need to do 100 KM/H or 60-65 MPH COMFORTABLY ( well comfortably for the engine anyway).

think i sold it... :):lol::)

if i did what do you guys think about this photoshop i had done on my 99?

2rp68ie.jpg

Edited by redswr

Not today but Friday Evening I...

Tightened up my gear selector lever... don't know how I noticed it was loose but thank GOD i found it before i went riding again. :lol:

Then proceeded to get it stuck 3 times in the last 30 mins of a 3 hour long, intense woods ride... twice in boggy peat moss, once in a tree after extricating it from boggy peat moss...:);)

Talk about tricky... try getting a 300 lb bike out of a tree when its back tire is 5 feet in the air without flipping it backwards or dropping on yourself. ;)

Went home, drank almost 2 litres of water, then hosed her down, looked her over for damage (all good). waddled upstairs for a nap. Rider's arse... :)

Went for a night ride last night after adjusting my new headlight and rewiring the high beam off and the low beam on... no longer lighting up the night sky, have a usable beam spread in front of me. Not as nice as i will have later on when I finally replace the stator for more output, but better than it ever has been. :lol: Cops even complimented me on the install... lol. they pulled over while i was fiddling on the side of the road. Little do they know I have no blinkers or brake lights... or a speedo. :)

Went for a night ride last night after adjusting my new headlight and rewiring the high beam off and the low beam on... no longer lighting up the night sky, have a usable beam spread in front of me. Not as nice as i will have later on when I finally replace the stator for more output, but better than it ever has been. :) Cops even complimented me on the install... lol. they pulled over while i was fiddling on the side of the road. Little do they know I have no blinkers or brake lights... or a speedo. :)

Were abouts in the NWT's are you?

Cops couldn't care much except insurance up there, it's light all the time in the summer anyways :lol:

fired it up and rode it for the first time in 4 years!!!! :) now i can get to work on the photoshop (as seen above) as soon as i get money for my 07! Anyone have opinions on the 99 (as seen above)?

Were abouts in the NWT's are you?

Cops couldn't care much except insurance up there, it's light all the time in the summer anyways :)

In Yellowknife, and yea. insurance is the big thing. Street legal or offroad legal is still allowed on the roads in NWT. love it.