2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,502 posts in this topic

Just did. Didn't help :thumbsup:

I can only presume my exhaust didn't come with it, unless it comes with it already installed? It's pretty loud off idle though, I can't imagine it is...

just got done installing some cheap msr levers to replace the oem's that were bent to shiot. i will do some nice unbreakables later when i change the bars up. time for bed. :thumbsup:

just got done installing some cheap msr levers to replace the oem's that were bent to shiot. i will do some nice unbreakables later when i change the bars up. time for bed. :thumbsup:

Don't waste your time. Get legit bark busters!

Don't waste your time. Get legit bark busters!

bark busters = broken wrists if you go over the handle bars...

i was sponsered by ASV :thumbsup:

Not if you go with Cycra ProBend :thumbsup::cheers:

I'm trying to envision how you'd break your wrists with bark busters and just not seeing it... enlighten me please!

Most people let go once you start going over. If you don't, well nature has it's way......

Might want to find a new sponsor as this logic is pretty flawed; like saying your going to break your pelvis if your feet fell off the pegs so I replaced my tank with a pillow. You can't get rid of all risk and my Bark Busters have saved my hands and fingers more than once, think they're staying on a woods bike.

The ASV levers and such are nice, though.

I'm trying to envision how you'd break your wrists with bark busters and just not seeing it... enlighten me please!

Imagine the handlebar like it's a trapeze bar and you'll get the idea.

I tore into the ass end of my bike to inspect everything well before the season gets started here, I went over the front end during the winter. I had replacement swing arm bearings and a chain guide ready to put on and I thought that's all I was going to have to replace.

Then I found that all of the linkage bearings are pretty much shot as well so no riding for me over the long weekend :thumbsup:

I guess that leaves me time to give it an extra good cleaning while it's disassembled... why I'd bother though is another question, it's going to be a muddy start to the season this year :thumbsup:

Started it up and rode it...to break it in after the following:

New Hot Cams

New SS OEM valves, springs and retainers

Cut valve seats, new seals, surfaced the head, etc.

Mild porting

New Lukes Racing 444 kit with 13.5:1 piston

New connecting rod and bearing and balanced crank

New oil pump

New clutch plates and springs

New Power Bomb header

New oversize radiators (the e-bay ones...fit OK, welds are ugly but look strong)

New chain and sprockets

New plastic

New springs, seals, bushings, and fluid in the forks and shock

New LED headlight bulbs, turn signals (and flasher), and K&S combination switch

Greased every bearing and bushing on the bike

It's been almost a year since the "great melt down ride", and it feels good to be back on the bike

Dang Birdy! That 02 must look and run like brand new! Any pictures?

Dang Birdy! That 02 must look and run like brand new! Any pictures?

No pictures...except for the absence of scratches and dirt, it doesn't look a whole lot different than before I started...I wish I would have taken a picture of all the new parts laid out on the garage floor, tho!

Started it up and rode it...to break it in after the following:

New Hot Cams

New SS OEM valves, springs and retainers

Cut valve seats, new seals, surfaced the head, etc.

Mild porting

New Lukes Racing 444 kit with 13.5:1 piston

New connecting rod and bearing and balanced crank

New oil pump

New clutch plates and springs

New Power Bomb header

New oversize radiators (the e-bay ones...fit OK, welds are ugly but look strong)

New chain and sprockets

New plastic

New springs, seals, bushings, and fluid in the forks and shock

New LED headlight bulbs, turn signals (and flasher), and K&S combination switch

Greased every bearing and bushing on the bike

It's been almost a year since the "great melt down ride", and it feels good to be back on the bike

a) if i would have known we were both building "new" motors we should have got together and got better deals on parts and machine work.

i did the exact list other than the header.

b)tell me about the header...my ktm had one i didnt notice a huge difference.

but with my exhaust being so short i think the WR would benefit from it..

plus my stocker has a good size dent in it that cant be helping flow at all.

just finished up wiring the bike lastnight with a battery and led's i was hoping to run around town on it today, but none the less its pouring down rain..

few pics from thursday, went and tooled around a bit.

2 foot bridges that go across highway, 1 huge set of stairs at the college campus, and several 3rd gear wheelies all over town, mind you with no working lights...:thumbsup:

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwNDE4LTAwMDE5LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwNDIxLTAwMDIzLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwNDIxLTAwMDI0LmpwZw.jpg

then i came home after countless "nods" from my girlfriend riding her drz(her way of telling me im a menace)

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwNDIxLTAwMDI1LmpwZw.jpg

i decided to put the bike up for the night and figure out a tail light...i robbed my buddies wr250x stocker, split it open and put in a few orange leds to be turn signals, then sealed it all back up.

installed it and wired it all up. more pics later..

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwNDE4LTAwMDIwLmpwZw.jpg

Welp, I need new bark busters, and I found out how you can hurt your hand/wrist with them. Highsided riding like a bat out of hell and launched myself down a cliff. Thanks to great armor I'm absolutely fine though!

Welp, I need new bark busters, and I found out how you can hurt your hand/wrist with them. Highsided riding like a bat out of hell and launched myself down a cliff. Thanks to great armor I'm absolutely fine though!

Ouch! Glad your ok... :thumbsup:

Ouch! Glad your ok... :thumbsup:

Thanks.

I'm beginning to contemplate crash proof levers and perches. I just wonder how realistic it is to go with those instead of bark busters, or maybe a very basic guard that won't break my hands in combination with invincible levers/perches.

Anyone with knowledge on the topic?

The ASV levers will bend into all types of crazy shapes. That's not warranted - only if they break. I use these anyway. If you leave the perches a little "less tight" so they can twist, it's a fine line between it twisting when you crash (so your lever hopefully doesn't break) or twisting when you need it the most and making an awkward moment worse. I tighten my perches. I use the open-end Cycra "Stealth" handguards (with the aluminum standoff) so that if my hand gets caught inside it, it can slip out the side. The downside to that style is that they can still crush onto the grip if you it something hard enough, but I've never done that to the point that one has crushed my hand onto the grip. Hope that helps.