2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,502 posts in this topic

hah nice, how did you manage not to flood your bike? mine stalled in that mudhole and I thought that it was because of the mud getting sucked up thru the engine vent but it was because of 2 quarts of water in my airbox slowly seeping into my engine. thanks god I had oiled my filter so that water didn't get there at once and the motor didn't hydrolock :p:thumbsup:

mine was not that deep... we had to lay it down and drag it out..

it was a tear down to clean it up..

Just bought a '99 400F which had been VERY neglected. Actually I'm not sure if any maintenance had ever been done!

Things fixed so far:

Discs - almost worn through - replaced

Pads - worn half way through the metal backing! - replaced

Chain guide - bent and bashed - replaced

Chain - Half side worn off due to chain guide - replaced

Rear Tyre - bald - replaced

Graphics - replaced

Baffle - had White Bros (deafening) - Put on near new 426 original (nice and quiet now)

Fork seals totally blown - getting done today

Exhaust header - 2mm of rust - polished up but needs a bit more elbow grease yet.

One day I might actually get to ride it !

Next on the agenda after a bit of playing in the bush will be to get her ready for rego.

Put a new FMF PowerCore 4 on. :p:banana:Waiting for the RTV to dry. I can't wait to try it out. :thumbsup:

Any one else done this one? Just wondering how far off the jetting was.

Put a new FMF PowerCore 4 on. :thumbsup::banana:Waiting for the RTV to dry. I can't wait to try it out. :mad:

Any one else done this one? Just wondering how far off the jetting was.

Put one on my 06 with a FMF PB header, and used the JD kit. Dialed right in for 3000'-9000' 40-100F degrees. :p

Had my buddy clean my bike today because yesterday we did a 130 mile loop from Green River Utah to Moab and back. I feel at the bottom of Dead Cow Tubes and hurt my right knee. This morning the Doc said I tore my MCL. I am glad I had a RevLok D-ring clutch to ride out with because I was 35 miles to the nearest paved road and another 40 miles from the truck. Cool ride, even with the knee, it was cool.

We were coming up The Tubes near Moab, there was one section that you had to go through water and every WR(4 of them) stalled in a crevice of water that was just a little higher than the foot pegs. You had to go slow through it because you couldn't see what was in the under the water. Why? Makes no sense that every one of them shut off. Did the water create some sort of short in the system?

We were coming up The Tubes near Moab, there was one section that you had to go through water and every WR(4 of them) stalled in a crevice of water that was just a little higher than the foot pegs. You had to go slow through it because you couldn't see what was in the under the water. Why? Makes no sense that every one of them shut off. Did the water create some sort of short in the system?

They need to route the carb vents to the airbox. Pretty much a free $$ cure for that problem. :p

Sorry to hear about your knee. Heal well!

They need to route the carb vents to the airbox. Pretty much a free $$ cure for that problem. :p

Sorry to hear about your knee. Heal well!

Explain this mod please and thanks for the Heal well. It sucks but I should be back in the saddle in a month or two. Now all I can say is Let it snow let it snow let it snow.

Basically, take the carb vents that are routed to between the swingarm and frame, lift them up, drill some holes in the airbox, and stick the open ends in the airbox. (seal them with some silicone).

That will keep the vents from sucking water into the carb if the bike gets into water that's above the level of the swingarm. If you look at the vent tubes, they're usually split at the open end so that they'll still suck air if you just barely get them in to the water. But once you're deeper than the split, carb vacuum will suck water into the carb and stall the bike. Re-routing the lines to the airbox keeps this from happening, and also keeps the air that does get sucked into the carb cleaner than it would otherwise be. :p

The general rule is any hoses that cross over the top of the carb should be routed up to the top of the air box to avoid ingesting water into the carb. In addition some have experienced water being sucked up the breather hose if the bike is being started while in water so that hose should be routed to the air box as well. I’ve always been a little perplexed by the carb hose rerouting …… if those hoses are sucking air/water into the carb wouldn’t they feed dirt into the carb as well?

Edited by byggd

Yep, they do suck dirt. You can shred a cotton ball and stuff some in the vent tube(s) as a filter, but that can clog too. Anyway, might be a good time to put this tangent into another thread. There's plenty on this in the forums already though. :p

Today I ordered some Christmas bling for the WR in the form of pretty blue anodized axle block adjusters, wheel spacers, timing hole plugs, and oil filler plug. Oh yeah, I also ordered the Motion Pro T-Nut wrench so I can drop the fork legs without removing the handlebars and lube up those bearings.

I got $700 in parts coming. A lot of it is "replacables" for incase I crash and don't want to end a day... but some of it is friggen sweet, and I will show it off here!