What did you do to your WR today?

Remember when you were a kid and had been wearing your winter boots all winter, and then finally in the spring you put your sneakers on for the first time? Your feet felt so light it was like they were floating. Well, I got that feeling today.

Unseasonably warm temperatures lately melted the ice from the roads today, so I removed my ski and popped on my summer tire, and all I can say is WOW! This is the first time that I really rode without spikes and ski.

The bike landed here in February, so the spikes and ski went on right away. That combo weighs 44 pounds, just over double the weight of the front wheel only. For the first few minutes tonight the front end was so light it felt like I had no wheel at all. I had to learn to wheelie all over again.

summertire1.jpg

The warm weather has also richen’d things up, and I was too lazy to change the jetting tonight, so I leaned it out another way. I pulled all of the plates out of the E-pipe on my 400 and slipped it on the 450, un-corked. It didn’t help the jetting at all, but sure sounded sweet. :eek:

Epipe.jpg

Frost,

When you have time can you give us a report on how well the exhaust from your 400 fit on the new 450. Is that a 07? Thanks, MTR

Sure MTR.

My bike is an 07, and the E pipe is from my 99 WR 400. I was sent the wrong pipe way back when, it was for a 99 YZ. It had taken a long time to arrive, and sending it back and waiting for the proper pipe was out of he question, so I tried it and it fit. Someone had asked me about it on the 400, thought it was short and asked if I had cut it. I didn’t, but I had forgotten that it was the YZ pipe, so maybe that’s why it looked shorter. Since it may be a fit factor I thought I should point that out.

The header pipe on the 400 must be a slightly larger diameter as the E pipe was a bit loose when I slipped it on. I compared the slip on end with the stock pipe, and it looks like the pipes are the same size, but the E pipe gasket was thinner so it had a larger inner diameter. It looked like I could swap the gaskets for a perfect fit, but I didn’t want to risk damaging the stock gasket so I just left it. Although the gasket was a bit loose, the E pipe slides a bit farther up onto the header, near the bend. Slipping onto the bend snugged the fit, no leaks.

Epipe2.jpg

The can fit under the side cover, and I bolted it there using the mounting bolt near the seat.

Epipe3.jpg

The mid way bolt didn’t line up with the frame, and the pipe looks a bit close to the shock reservoir. Since I’m selling the 400, I think I’ll get the welder in town to modify the pipe for a perfect fit on the 450 – shorten it and relocate the mid mounting nut, and I’ll order a new exhaust gasket so it’ll fit snugly on the header pipe. I’ll also try to get some clearance between the pipe and shock reservoir to prevent overheating.

Epipe1.jpg

The reason I took the blocking plate out of the pipe was not to make it louder, but because the stacked plates direct the exhaust sideways and turns my rear fender black. With the plate removed, the exhaust goes straight out the back, and it doesn’t seem much louder, if any. It’s also shorter, and quite a bit shorter than the stocker, and I like the tidy look.

Epipe4.jpg

stockpipe.jpg

We climbed above freezing now, and my bike is waay rich. Idling along I can use the hot start lever like a trigger throttle. Normal idle is set slow, but pulling the hot start lever increases the idle so much that I can ride on the street in 3rd without touching the throttle. Even though the temp is above freezing, the hoses and cables are still pretty stiff, making it difficult to turn the carb to change the jets, but I have no choice now. Time to lean out, and hope the temp doesn’t take a dive tomorrow.

Drug my '03 out of the shed where it has been sitting for several months in-30 temps with the battery in. I had torn down the carb and installed JD Jetting kit- my first time working on jetting so I wasnt even sure if it would still run. Figured I had probably ruined the battery.

Ignition light came on, hit the starter and she cranked a few times, pulled the choke and she barked to life! Got lucky on me jetting/carb rebuild she runs great. These things are bullet proof!

I removed the plate from off the top of the air box that the snorkel goes through on my 07 wr450 that really opened it up. also drilled a 2" hole in the inner baffle the one before the tail pipe. I read somewhere in here about someone doing this. All the other free mods and jetting was already done and the bike ran great. These two things really made a difference from just before mid clear through to full throttle.Had to go back up to a 48 pilot though. Great free mod . I'm not wasting money on an after market pipe now. Didn't lose anything on the bottom either.

I went to rogers hill today http://raceway.rogershill.co.uk/

and played moto x on my wr , what fun !!

this is such an adaptable bike, it was good to get some good air and open it right up , best laugh I've ever had . I rode a few 4 stroke crossers to , it makes you realise how smooth and adaptable the wr is, the crossers were more responsive though but I held my own and was impressed with myself and the bike ?

edit : to say frostbite your new white tank and stuff look awesome!!

nicest lookin wr I've seen for a long time ?

Along the lines of "what wins on Sunday sells on Monday" (mine is more "what I liked about others' bikes on the weekend ride and am buying without telling the wife"):

brake snake: three times fallen branches forced me to stop when my brake pedal got jammed beyond belief. I believe I'm the last off-road rider to get one. ?

yamalink: until they make Gaernes with stilettos

fastway handguards: I have some on now, but they are mounted differently than the newer models I saw this weekend; my metal twists badly whereas the two guys with (the newer?) Fastways said theirs don't. I presume it's due to their bolt location.

pirelli scorpion pro: had the XT version but it's more of a mud tire so in about an hour I'm mounting the tried-and-true Scorpion pro that has knobs a bit closer.

installed unibiker rad guards, ricoche skip plate,

GPS mounted on handle bars.

problems with the cycra hand guards (u-brackets and brake line conflict)

have the AIS kit but it not installed yet.

Have just raised the bars 1" installed 15lts safari tank, new clutch full service and am going to get the bike ready for the dubai desert challenge in a few months, IE road book etc. Bike is cleaned and ready for 300km ride on friday

2008wr450streetlegalandplated.jpg

2008 WR450 street legal and plated. I installed IMS tank, Doug Henry kit, Dual Sport kit, Works Connection Rad Guards, Moose racing handguards and finished all the free mods.

WOW that is nice!!! ?

I've wanted to do that to my bike ever since I got it last summer ? Some black rims and gold hubs would push it beyond sick ?

Was the seat cover part of the Henry kit?

WOW that is nice!!! ?

I've wanted to do that to my bike ever since I got it last summer ? Some black rims and gold hubs would push it beyond sick ?

Was the seat cover part of the Henry kit?

Agreed but I am more interested in the white head light cowl.... painted?

PM Sent.

Thanks

Thanks all, I'm happy with the way it turned out. The black seat cover came with the Doug Henry kit. The headlight is painted with Krylon Fusion. It's held up to a few rides, but it's not what I would call a permanent solution. It's got small LED turn signals front and back. You can see them in the picture if you look close. I'll post some close ups if anyone is interested. It's also got a Boysen Q2. Thanks again

Brought its new shoes home tonight.....(black rims) that is......and went to look at it and discovered a spider moved in between the rear tire and fender....made me realize I need to get it out this weekend and RIDE!!!!!