FIRST AID KIT - GET ONE!!!

Please, carry a first aid kit, and think about what you would do if the worst might happen,

Last Sunday was a great day of riding... we were on fast single track, lots of hills, a few stream crossings, things were going great until...

I was laying on the ground, helmet off, safety glasses covered with blood. Blood was running down my neck. My hand was held on my temple trying to stop the bleeding. A fallen tree snag with sharp top had speared me. With no idea what would happen next I was completely in the hands of my riding buddies. Ed, bless him, had a first aid kit. Only one out of five of us had anything. How could something so important be so often overlooked? We just so rarely need it, but now it was priceless.

Barry kept his composure, applied pressure with the sterile gauze, while clean medical tape was applied to hold it tight over the puncture hole on my left forehead. I was lucky it was the forehead and not the eye. It was also lucky we were close to the truck, the bleeding stopped, and was able to ride slowly back to the truck.

Late Sunday night a surgeon removed the pieces of wood that the ER doctor was unable to extract.

--My message here is please CARRY A FIRST AID KIT!! I promise to carry one every time I ride from now on.

--Secondly, the guys I ride with are the greatest friends a person could ever have. They really are awesome!!

Thanks - Barry, Bob, Ed, Tim

James Dean

[This message has been edited by James Dean (edited 05-24-2000).]

Glad you're ok. I ride with one now after a similar incident several years ago. I found an AMA first aid kit (that would be the 'other' AMA) for $10. It comes in a soft zipper bag that will fit in a larger size fanny pack. Most of the stuff in it is pretty useful but I ditched the items intended for the minor ailments and stocked up on gauze and tape to make sure I could take care of the bigger stuff. You can find this bag at: http://www.drugstore.com/products/38695.asp?pid=38695&catid=9339

------------------

Scott

James,

We've been darn lucky/fortunate over the years of riding together- so this is a reality check of the first order. Having been a participant on many a ride with this group, I can say unequivocally that they are some of the safest (and damn fast!) dirt bikers I know/ride with as far as being consistent and knowing their limits. Accidents do happen though-no matter how careful and prudent one may be- this is one of the inherent risks of the sport we engage in. That being said, BE CAREFUL everyone & carry a Med Kit (after years of carrying every conceivable item with me I'd probably never need, I'm ashamed to say I never carried anything of this nature).

Seen ya' on the trail soon James.

Outlaw

Scott,

Thanks for the tip, I have ordered 2 of them. Hopefully others will follow.

Please consider it everybody,

Thanks,

James Dean

James,

Excellent Idea. I carry a small package of assorted bandaid sizes and guaze sizes. I also have atiseptic swabs, burn gel, smelling salts and a small ice pack (the kind you break to get cold). Also carry a small roll of tape and Ibuoprophen.

It has come in handy several times but never for myself, knock on wood. Usually for my buddy Mike. If you don't, it should be a must. Especially if you trail ride.

------------------

Dougie, '99 WR400

Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

A first aid kit is a must for any ride. Even more important is the training to know what to do in an emergency. I got EMT certified a few years ago, and the information and training has stuck with me in some hairball moments.

At the risk of relying on fear tactics, you should accept the reality that motorcycle riding carries the risk of serious injury in a remote location. Could you deal with your buddy laying on the ground with an open leg fracture? :) A first aid kit won't get him to the hospital... a rescue plan will.

Sorry to be a bummer.

Tim

------------------

tbeynart@allegisgroup.com

Tim Beynart

Baltimore, MD

Tim,

Your comments are appreciated. This brings up a few other backup strategies. A Cel phone and a GPS are two items that could turn a rescue from hours to minutes in an emergency. For those of you who like to go explore solo, (Bryan...), this may be especially important.

Just some ideas to think about.

James Dean

Great comments guys.

When phone I ride alone I always carry the cell phone and now I carry the GPS. The only problem is that much of the territory I cover isn't in a cell area. I can just see myself dragging my body up a mountain to get coverage.

Affordable satalite phones are in our near future and will solve that problem.

I've been considering a nice first aid kit purchase. Now I'm convinced that it has to be a priority.

Bryan...

This may sound silly,but requires some thought. I always carry one or two Kotex pads in my first aid kit along with tape and iodine. They make great emergency covering for the big ones.