Sorry, But Need Help Bad

I'm about ready to do something I told myself I would never do. Take my bike ibti the same shop that left my two top carb bolts lose in the first place.:thumbsup:

As mentioned before, i installed JD Jet Kit, bike runs great with these settings.

Main Jet-170

Pilot Jet-45

Red Needle-5th Clip from Top

Fuel Screw Out 1-1/2 Turns.

Bike starts right up runs better than ever, smoth throttle response all good right. Nope, when bike not running fuel is leaking out of the float overflow tube. I have torn carb down three times now, cleaned out all jets, bowl, carb taken out the float needle looks good black tip still intacked, taken out screw that hold in the brass tube with screen where the float needle goes and all is good no dirt no nothing.

I really hate to take the carb to the nimrods that didn't even think to tighten down the screws in the first place, but I am running out of options, and the knowledge is by far gone. If any of our great and knowledgeable TT'ers could possible give me any advice, someday I might be able to return the favor and help a fellow TT'er

Thank you all in advance and with prior help from previous post on similar issues.

snowman

This has happened to me. You need to set your float level lower. OR In other words Increase the measurement distance between the bottom of the float (side closest to the bottom of the bowl) and the carburetor body. This will apply a little more pressure to the needle and stop the flow of fuel.

I belive that the spring inside the needle gets week with age.

If the tip of the needle looks good reset the float level. a 1/16" should do it that is 62.5 thousands of an inch. Dial calipers work great for this but a scale can be used with good results.

Just remove the carb then remove the float bowl reset the float height (per the manual) and reinstall and ride!:thumbsup:

Cannon, Thank you for the reply. I do not have a manual, so how do you reset the float height? and with the bowl off, and the carb in the upright position, do i want the float to set higher or lower?

Thank you

Man you need a manual.......go to the following site and download one:

http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0

It tells you exactly how to set float height......its not an obvious thing to do.

Another thing that happens is that people overtighten the drain screw and crack the float bowl and it will act like it is leaking from the over flow.

Problem finally solved. :busted::cheers::bonk: Thank you all for the help. I checked the float height and it was @ 8.15 mm within specs. So next I took out the float needle and inspected it again all is good :thumbsup: . So next I took out the screw that hold in the valve seat, removed valve seat and the thing basically just fell out, the o-ring holding it in was so worn that it was not doing its job. :lol: Fuel had hardened the o-ring so bad that it had become like plastic and i could break it. Replaced o-ring and all is good. So for any of you fellow TT'ers run into this problem, check the o-ring on the float seat. IMO this o-ring should be changed out every couple years.

Again thank you all for your help..:thumbsup:

Problem finally solved. :busted::cheers::bonk: Thank you all for the help. I checked the float height and it was @ 8.15 mm within specs. So next I took out the float needle and inspected it again all is good :thumbsup: . So next I took out the screw that hold in the valve seat, removed valve seat and the thing basically just fell out, the o-ring holding it in was so worn that it was not doing its job. :lol: Fuel had hardened the o-ring so bad that it had become like plastic and i could break it. Replaced o-ring and all is good. So for any of you fellow TT'ers run into this problem, check the o-ring on the float seat. IMO this o-ring should be changed out every couple years.

Again thank you all for your help..:thumbsup:

Snowman,

Great work finding the problem. All that from just a friggin o-ring. Good info to file away for future reference.