Kickstarter- Stock or BBR?

(posted to both WR and YZ Forums)

I snapped the kick starter of my YZ today. I know the '98's, were prone to this. I'm going to order a new one tomorrow. I looked at the BBR one, it's nice but $169. I don't know how much the stock one is yet, I'll call in the morning. Anyway any of you have the Brown Brothers Racing one care to comment? Anybody else snap one? I read somewhere that Yamaha redesigned the part, can anybody confirm this?

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'98 YZ400F

G'day Chris.

How did you snap the kickstarter? I am curious as I never really kick the bike that hard. in any case, a BBR or stock. Well, if there really is not that much in price, I would go for the BBR. Afterall, if you have broken it once, you may break it again. But, i would check the following;

Mount - Does it come complete with mount, pins, nuts, bolts, etc... If it does not, then you may break something else

Good luck and let me know what you find

Mitch

The BBR's are known to break as well. Get the ProTec kick-starter it's really nice plus it's a little shorter so it spins the motor faster with the same speed kick, that way you don't need to kick as fast. http://www.pro-tecperformance.com/

------------------

'99 WR400

'92 GSXR 7/11

Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album

Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

Mitch,

The '98 were known for breaking kickstarters. At the bottom of the lever casting is a "cup" that slides over a pin that is 90 deg. from the engine, mine failed in that cup. The cup split across from the retaining screw. I read somewhere that Yamaha redesigned the part to stop this. BBR built their's in responce to the problem but had problems as well. BBR added a stanless steel insert in the "Cup" in response to their breakage problems.

I tried the Pro-tech on a WR and didn't care for it. The reduction in leverage made it harder to start - IMHO.

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'98 YZ400F

Motogreg, I don't have one, it was on another guys bike.

Pyroted, I kicked it about as many times as you did Saturday at the Check! (LOL)

I emailed you the whole story, try not to bust a gut laughing, I need you heathy for the GP ?

------------------

Chris in the Mojave

'98 YZ400F