HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rwcfrank

Moto SEX

7 posts in this topic

Okay now that I have your attention. They are imposing sound limits here in Ca. I have an e-series pipe and currently run 12 discs. When I choke it down to 8 discs the power drops a lot. Which spark arrestor is the quitetest and still makes power. The e series will be on e-bay soon...

The most silent configuration I've found so far is a stock WR pipe with a Vortip insert. You will notice a drop in high RPM pull with this set up but is will pass the forest nazi inspection. The FMF Power Core IV 'squared' is almost as quiet but should pass a sound test too. FMF standard Power Core pipe has a different internal shape with less surface area than the 'squared' pipe and is a bit louder again.

There are other pipes for Europe that claim to be quiet but I haven't checked them out.

Do not let the forest nazi test the bike in the back of your truck. A truck bed is a semi-reverberant chamber. This is a fancy way of saying sound reflecting surface and will add at least 3 dB-A to any measurement equipment.

Dan,

Do you know how loud the bike is with the stock pipe and Vortip? I am thinking about going with this setup. Right now I am unplugged but I may be looking into Enduros and HScrambles.

Thanks,

Tim Heslip

I haven't measured it myself but the guy who invented the Vortip says his customers have been getting between 97 to 99 dB-A at sound checks.