HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TexasXR650L

xr650l hesitation after a rejet

14 posts in this topic

i re-jetted my 05 xr650l with a dynojet, and yanked the smog pump. it seams to have a little hesitation at low rpm, will the mixture screw smooth it out? it still has the tab and the screw is out 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns. i dont really want to pull the carb, and then the bowl to turn it past the freggin stopper. if it will fix it then ill just grind off the tab.

i re-jetted my 05 xr650l with a dynojet, and yanked the smog pump. it seams to have a little hesitation at low rpm, will the mixture screw smooth it out? it still has the tab and the screw is out 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns. i dont really want to pull the carb, and then the bowl to turn it past the freggin stopper. if it will fix it then ill just grind off the tab.

grind off the tab, you will have more adjustment available to use. what jets did you put in with the kit?

If you need to go beyond 2-3/4 turns, you need to go larger on the pilot jet.

I think the hot ticket on the screw is to leave the tab on the screw, and file the tab off the bowl- that way the screw has a handle, and an indicator.

You will always have less throttle response with the DG kit than if you drill the slide and shim the stock needle, but the DJ kit might give you a little crisper performance, and better mileage.

I do a lot of technical riding, and the small amt of hesitation the DJ kit left drove me nuts.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I know your a legend on the big bore sites and ive read up on what youve done. im just not sure if i want to drill my carb or not. I dont want to mess anything up and have to replace it. what size should i use? I didnt really get the reaction out of the bike that i thought i would with the DJ kit. It has a hard time standing up past 2nd gear unless i dump the clutch. I want her to be dangerous. Ive got a wicked riding style. will your mods do that dave? And to answer your question martinfan i used a 165.

Thanks Dave. I know your a legend on the big bore sites and ive read up on what youve done. im just not sure if i want to drill my carb or not. I dont want to mess anything up and have to replace it. what size should i use? I didnt really get the reaction out of the bike that i thought i would with the DJ kit. It has a hard time standing up past 2nd gear unless i dump the clutch. I want her to be dangerous. Ive got a wicked riding style. will your mods do that dave? And to answer your question martinfan i used a 165.

The 'dave mods' (I really don't know how they got named after me) give you better throttle response than the DJ kit, mainly due to the drilling. The size is 5/32, all the details are over on 4strokes . com.

All stock, but with dave mods and a 14 tooth front sprocket, and you'll be doing clutchless 2nd gear wheelies for sure.

If you follow the recipe, you'll have the best you'll get out of the CV carb.

Next step up is a manual slide carb.

next step is a cam, or a cam plus a high comp piston.

I'm firmly convinced once I get un-lazy and build an adapter that lets you use a 600R CDI, that'll be the 'next big thing' for added snap, if the advance really is more aggressive than the 650L CDI. There's some good evidence to support this.

Dave

i read about your mods on the carbs and was thinking of doing the XR600 CDI replacement too...but my XRL dead on me before i got all that started...so i passed on...but it will definately rips with those upgrades...:thumbsup:

Dave. Can you drill the slide with the Dyno-Jet kit to get a better throttle response?

58\165 daves mods and the dj kit, and an aftermarket,i think its a xrs only mixer srew .that made it easier to adjust cause its alot lower and u can get ahold of it.but the fmf q2 pipe took the hesitation out the most now its like POW..:thumbsup:

Dave. Can you drill the slide with the Dyno-Jet kit to get a better throttle response?

i drilled the slide with the djet kit and i had great t. response.

i think its a xrs only mixer srew

Can you explain that a bit?

Also, the purpose of drilling the slide is to allow more vacuum to lift the slide right?

Do you know which jet the DJ kit does NOT come with? Slow jet (mixer screw?) ?

I'm at 839' above sea level

the kit only comes w/ 2 mains, 160 , 165. drilling the 2 holes is supposed to allow the slide to open quicker.

You can reach in with a hack saw blade and cut a notch on the carb go a bit deeper than the wing on the screw then just tap it with a punch and the piece will snap right off. That way it leaves the tab on the screw and you can turn it a bit easier.