Too Short

Mike,

Jay recommended that I contact you regarding a YZ seat and tank. I have a Y2K WR. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and the damn thing is too hard for me to keep upright in slow transitional hills once I get off balance just a little bit, especially in tight corners.

I want to install the Big Gun pipe and YZ seat and tank. For financial reasons I think that I will do the $5 exhaust mod for now and get the seat and tank. Shouldn't this help me out in this situation? I understand it will help for cornering but do you think it will drop the ground distance some? I'm also thinking about dropping the forks so that they are about 3/4" from the top. Jay said he did that (changing the rake angle) and helped on the cornering also.

He said you bought the cover,foam and plastic seperate. I was wondering if you could send information on this. Now I have never tried to put a seat cover on so don't know how difficult it would be. Maybe worth it to purchase a new YZ seat?

Also would you use the Ims tank or the stock YZ tank? Was wondering if their is a difference in seat angle between these two.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Kyle

------------------

'00 WR, Renthal bars, Cycra hand guards, throttle stop cut,for now everything else stock

Originally posted by Kyle:

Mike,

KYLE, Just a quick note, I know what you're going through, im 5'8 on a good day and weigh 160lbs. The bike feels tall, I just put on my new IMS 3.3 with the yz seat this weekend and went riding with it, this kit wont help you much with the tallness issue, I thought that this kit was going to change how I looked at the world, every magazine I read stated that you have to have this mod, Yes it does make things better, I really was expecting it to make it feel like a yz80. The seat is hard man! I put a Factory effex 00' yz426 seat cover on my 98 wr with no problems whatsoever. As far as lowering your bike I have soften my rear spring which does lower the bike quite a bit but you'll be giving up some travel. Big Gun? I'de take a Scotts stabilizer first, trust me their priceless!! Good Luck

-------------------------------------------

98WR,stock timing,stock pipe,Fineline susp,scotts stabilizer & top clamp,Pro-tapers,Pacemaker3,IMS 3.3,4.0,YZ seat,devol guards YZ426 plastic,Ty's plastic chain slider

Hi Kyle- I did order everything separately.

The seat base is $43 from IMS. http://www.imsracing.com/

Then I ordered the competition grippy cover and standard height, soft foam both from Guts racing. $99 for both. The cover install isn't a big deal if you have a staple gun (electric). This is much, much cheaper plus I love the grippy seat cover. The stock YZ seat is a soft brick, and is really expensive

http://www.gutsracing.com/

I think it is slightly shorter-maybe 1/2" at most, but probably more like 1/4". I am 6'2", so the bike fits me well.

I did put on a stock YZ tank. First it was $100 much cheaper (used) than an IMS, also I didn't need the extra capacity of the aftermarket tanks and was weary based on other comments of bizarre petcock arangements, leaks, cheap mounting, etc. So I wanted a stock tank-one I knew would fit properly.

As others on this site have said, the YZ seat/tank is THE biggest thing you can do to help steering/handling.

Folks,

I have asked for advise on this exact topic before. "Is this WR too Big?"

After talking to MANY MANY folks, I HATE to say this, but I think I'm going KTM250 or KTM300. ?

That 260+lb WR is just too tall and too heavy for me.

Any last effort suggestions would be appreciated, but I think I need that 225lb KTM..??

(I feel like such a trader)

Originally posted by Scott:

Folks,

I have asked for advise on this exact topic before. "Is this WR too Big?"

After talking to MANY MANY folks, I HATE to say this, but I think I'm going KTM250 or KTM300. ?

That 260+lb WR is just too tall and too heavy for me.

Any last effort suggestions would be appreciated, but I think I need that 225lb KTM..??

(I feel like such a trader)

Here is a suggestion... put your money down now and pick your bike up next year. Have fun this summer without it!!! <smirk>

Sorry... I wanted a KTM four stroke and that's what the dealer said I would have to do to get one. They already had tree deposits at that time and were only getting four bikes. The 250 and 300 might not be as scarce but they had even more deposits for those.

Kyle, the stock tank bolts right up to the bike. The radiator shrouds fit perfectly also. Transfer all the hardware that was on the stock tank to the new tank. I really think you'll like it. Sitting on my bike feels like I'm on a bicycle and before it was like riding through the woods with a 5 gallon bucket between my legs. Much better ?

------------------

00'WR400 75'Yamaha 250 enduro

White e-Series S-bend 12 discs, Yz timed, rejetted to Clark specs, throttle stop cut, lid removed, Topar Racing top clamp, Tag Metals T2 bars, Scotts damper, Devol disc guard and frame guards, lights removed, Cr routed Fastline brakeline, Acerbis Rally pro hand guards fastened to the top clamp, Gel grips Live in Southwest Ohio

Scott, don't do anything drastic until we get a chance to ride with you. Maybe we can talk you out of it. Besides, if you think the WR was a mntc time killer, wait until you get a KTM and spend three times the money to do so.

------------------

Dougie, '99 WR400

Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

If you buy a KTM, don't you have to get a second KTM as a spare? That's what a KTM dealer told Jake while he was talking Jake out of a EXC380.

Better keep the WR and buy a KTM too Scott.

Bryan...

Yup, the stock YZ tank bolts right up with your existing hardware. The only thing is the shroud bolts are too short, so you will need 4 longer ones to make the "stretch". Or at least I had to.

If you are concerned about height there is something free you can do if you are considering the new tank/seat. Sneak into the kitchen when the wife isn't looking and grab that carving knife. Now carve the new seat foam to be slightly shorter. Be careful that you don't change the overall shape, but rather the size. Also you can use course sandpaper to finish the rough edges. This worked for a friend a few years ago on another bike. YMMV

Also the suspension can be lowered front and rear(see below posts). I don't think it is cheap!

Definately raise those forks! You may even want to lessen the spring preload and low-sp compression (more sag) if you don't ride real aggressive-this will make it sink lower when you sit on it. Personally I wouldn't change the spring beyond normal race sag it as it will affect your overall handling, but the choice is out there.

Have any shorter riders thought about boot risers? Basically something maybe leather or flat rubber 1/4" on the sole to raise you up further and make the ground closer. Just a thought, however crazy it is.

Good luck! Other than that, maybe try to keep your feet on the pegs and ride hills more aggressively. I know, easier said than done after 50 miles of tight trails!

Hey Scott-Don't feel like a trader, the WR isn't for everyone. I wasn't considering this bike last year at this time, but am very glad I decided to buy it.

But those are two-strokes. Just curious why you would consider the WR then reconsider to the KTM. I understand the KTM 200's are killer trail bikes, though.

Anyone thought about the KLX? For about the same price as a WR with some basic mods, you can get a new KLX, hop it up to a 365, new carb, do some stroker mods, pipe, and professional suspension work and wind up with one kick-butt unit. It will be shorter, much, much lighter (232 dry) and these engines will take the abuse! Plus there is probably one sitting at a local shop and hop up parts are readily available.

I considered doing this, but still would have a bike that is too short for me--and all the extra's would not make up value in resale if you are concerned about that. The KLX's handle really, really well, especially with some work done to the suspension. I rode such an example as above once and liked it a lot at the time, but do realize the WR always be faster and have better suspension pretty much no matter what given the same rider.

However if you are small, maybe you'll end up riding faster on the KLX than the WR due to the lighter and more agile feeling. They are pretty decent bikes once you get the flaws worked out--just like the WR.

At first I was having trouble coming to terms (turns) with the WR. But I changed the seat/tank, gearing, tires, shortened the chain 1 link, adjusted suspension, and raised the forks. These mods transformed it from a slow turning, tire pushing beast into a worthy machine more capable than I!

I call it the Motogreg setup as he advised a few of us to make these mods and all seem to be glowing with joy after making them.

Good luck!

Anyone thought about the KLX? For about the same price as a WR with some basic mods, you can get a new KLX, hop it up to a 365, new carb, do some stroker mods, pipe, and professional suspension work and wind up with one kick-butt unit. It will be shorter, much, much lighter (232 dry) and these engines will take the abuse! Plus there is probably one sitting at a local shop and hop up parts are readily available.

According to DirtBike the KLX300 is 248.. 1lb lighter than the YZ400.

To get them to preform there is some major dollars to be spent.

The 365 kit alone is approx $2k and brings reliability levels down.

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Rubber Chicken Racing

I figured I catch a little heat from you guys for even considering switching to KTM! ? I just had a very interested party back out of buying my WR, so maybe it's a "sign". (The bike isn't technically for sale, but I did have a very nice offer which would have allowed me to head over and pick up that 250EXC and even make a few bucks.)

Looks like I'll be visiting A-Loop. :D

------------------

99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Twin Air filter,E-Series,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,front and rear lights removed

Scott,

As you can see I have a '00 380EXC which I absolutely love, it’s weight/performance ratio is great. I'm lucky enough to have several KTM dealers near by that seem to have a good stock of parts. The 380 is a perfect compliment to the WR – I use the KTM for MX and the WR for trails and hills, so far it’s been great! Keep your WR and pick up a KTM to go with but not replace the WR- Btw, I just put a BigGun DSP system on my WR and it has really changed the way I feel about my Yamaha.

------------------

'00 WR400

'00 380EXC

'01 -Waiting for 520MX

The 248 is a wet measurement. Wow, I didn't think the 365 was $2K, is this including labor? Geez, that's pricey

248 is with no gas though.

That $2k price is a ready to ride price.

The KLX330 kit is a stress on head gaskets and studs thats why they've stopped making the pistons for it (except special order)

The 365 is a major reliability question.

Its like poking a YZ4 out to 490.

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Rubber Chicken Racing