HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kubamtx

Starting problem. Yzf 426

7 posts in this topic

Hello

I need a little help.

My 01 yzf 426 always started like it should. When cold using cold choke and 2 kicks, and when warm with 1 kick and after falling on hot choke with 1 kick.

Yesterday I rode a little on the track and in forest. I stoped and after 10 minutes wanted to start my bike, and nothing. I used hot start and it started. Then in forest I stoped to check if it will start and it started (but there was only 1 minute break). Today I went to garage and tried to start my bike (cold choke). It was impossible. I changed the plug and tried once again(cold choke), and nothing. Then I used hot start and after 5 kicks it made a noise. Next kick it started.

Now I don't know why it happens.

Could you give me a hint.

(sorry for my english , I now I make mistakes)

My conclusion is: the plug was poor (on the track),(tomorrow) I flood it. I've changed the plug but the bike was flooded so I flood the next plug using cold choke. Then it started on hot start because it was flooded. Am I right?

But today I'll check if it'll start well when cold.

Check your valve clearances. My 426 started to foul plugs and I found a tight center intake valve. I reshimmed the valve and the fouling went away.

You may want to pull you carb and give it a good cleaning too. :thumbsup:

Thanks for advice.

Today I found my right intake valve to have 0,08mm of clearance. Is this enought to couse any problems?

if your using stock spark plugs for a 426 they only last for about 2 rides before they start to turn, if i were you i would buy a cr8ek plug for your bike it has 2 electrodes on it and it makes my 426 start first kick if hot or cold, dont even touch the throttle when trying to start it or it floods for sure

I have a 2000 model but I have had the problem you describe a time or 2. Did you feel like you had much compression / resistance thru the kickstarter? I never was able to track it down as it would disappear as quickly as it came. I always thought it might be a valve not closing all the way (but the valves were always in spec). I am still on the original valvetrain except 1 450 exhaust cam.

Check you intake boot( between carb and motor) for leaks. Friends split and I watched him kick it a bunch of times. Replaced ,ok now.