Down tube screen - XR650L

While changing the oil tonight I tried to clean the screen located in the downtube. I could not get a wrench to stay on without the hex stripping. I have a feeling that the P.O.'s must have messed that up somewhere along the line. Finally, I gave up and just changed the oil and filter.

I know that I'm gonna have to get brutal with that thing the next time so I want to have a brand new shiny one ready to replace it when the next oil change comes up.

Where can I get it (besides dealer) and does anyone have a PN? Also, any tricks to getting it out? It's such a thin hex even the vice grips wouldn't hold it.

I realize that yours might be to far gone, but I always take the tube off first and then use a six point deep socket on it. For some reason that thing is always a real bear to get loose. A flare nut wrench or the box end of a combo wrench is also a possibility. Do not try to get it loose with a regular open end wrench as you already know what happens.

You can order a new one at any of the online OEM parts distributors. I use Service Honda for big $ orders, but use bike bandit or thrifty rider for single cheaper parts like this. Those places have online parts lookup for the part numbers.

A flare nut wrench or the box end of a combo wrench is also a possibility. Do not try to get it loose with a regular open end wrench as you already know what happens.

Yeah, tell me about it. The box wrench wouldn't even fit on the nut.

:thumbsup: