Grease nipples

Has anyone added or seen a method of putting grease nipples on the swingarm or the steering head, to save pulling the whole thing apart?????????

Lou

------------------

Lou

Lou,

I just got finished rebuilding my swingarm. The previous owner had drilled holes in all the arms and linkages for a needle fitting grease gun. The only problem was that he did not remove the bearings or groove the sleeves prior to drilling. Upon disassembly I found many of the cages and bearings damages by the drill bit. If you plan on doing this I would recommend that you totally disassemble the unit you want to install the fitting on and check for clearance and access. Many of the holes he drilled did not even go through the sleeve to the bearings. On the sleeves you would probably have to groove them to get grease to the bearing. This seems to me to be a complicated process requiring machining to work. Hopefully some aftermarket manufacturer will see the need for these items or already has and save everyone a lot of trouble.

Tom

Originally posted by tom13:

Lou,

I just got finished rebuilding my swingarm. The previous owner had drilled holes in all the arms and linkages for a needle fitting grease gun. The only problem was that he did not remove the bearings or groove the sleeves prior to drilling. Upon disassembly I found many of the cages and bearings damages by the drill bit. If you plan on doing this I would recommend that you totally disassemble the unit you want to install the fitting on and check for clearance and access. Many of the holes he drilled did not even go through the sleeve to the bearings. On the sleeves you would probably have to groove them to get grease to the bearing. This seems to me to be a complicated process requiring machining to work. Hopefully some aftermarket manufacturer will see the need for these items or already has and save everyone a lot of trouble.

Tom

Thanks tom I didn't think it would be as easy as drilling and tapping a nipple

A friend did this to his CR500 1994, he has access to all the tools at work and is very meticulous about his work. I am going to have him do the same to my 2000 wr. I will post the results upon completion.

I dont understand why the engineers didnt put zerks on, for petes sake my 85 xr350 has them, and/or why doesnt some one come up with sealed bearing units or cartridges like you can get for bicycles, Sure would save some time & $.....any one want to go into business..

I put grease fittings on my swing arm...It must be dismantled to do it. There are 2 bearings in each side . There is a gap between the 2 bearings, if you measure correctly , you can get the hole between the bearings, so the grease will flow properly. Only problem is the one on the chain side is very close to chain, actually my chain is brushing the fitting. The hole could have been slightly further in. I put the fittings on the top of the swing arm. I just ran out to garage to check their location and noticed one is missing..don't know if it fell out or broke off. Since its after 10 I'll check it closer another time. Possiblly the bottom side of swing arm may be better location , as there seems to be more room there... Anyhow--it can be done...

Paul

99WR400