xr600 for street, good idea?

hey guys, im lookin for a dualsport,dual purpose, enduro,motard.. whatever

and i just would like your opinions on turning an xr600 into a bike that would be mostly street. how top heavy is the bike, how does it perform on the street, brakes supension.. all that fairly normal stuff.. or should i just go with something alittle smaller due to the fact that this is mainly for gas mileage. and somethin to note ive read up on them and it seems that anyhting 91+ is the one to buy but im tryin to spend less then 1500 bucks plus some upgrades to make it streetable.

now alittle info on me. i have ridden dirtbikes before although its been limited i mostly ride a quad, but i learn fast, and havent had trouble riding the bikes when i did ride them. but i havent ridden on the street.

o i also only commute about 20 miles one way

and i just found a 1996 xr600 for 1999 is that about average?

thanks, josh

The XR600 will work great even at freeway speeds. It is a lot less top heavy than the XR650L. Every bike that I have had gets 40 to 45 mpg. The sizes have ranged form 250 to 600cc.

thanks, ok well thats awsome cause this 15mpg im gettin is horrible. is the 40mpg bieng really gentil or just riding? and although you said the 650 is MORE top heavy would the 600 still be consitered excessivly top heavy? i rode a crf 250r and really liked the balence of the bike, and i know its much smaller but how does it compare, if it even is comparable..

and what about the suspention would i need to stiffen it up a bit for better road manners? i just read that 91's and newr have a disk brake in the rear too so probably just throw on some good pads.. anything thing else?

JOSH

Hey there. I also ride a 06 TRX450er, and recently picked up a 97 XR600R, for basically same purpose as you. Intending on DSing it for a get-to-work/play bike. After MUCH hassle, I just got street plates (also green sticker) so I can legally ride on street. My 97 was supposedly ridden 8 or so times and parked (in '98). I paid 2K for it and I think I got a great deal. My advice is, try and find a already plated bike if you go with the XR. Good Luck

xr004.jpg

hondaplate001.jpg

i have a 96 xr 600 that is used stricktly on the street, it will never see the dirt! I wouldn't get any other bike for a dual sport. mine is a half way supermotard, soon to be full motard, and not only is it a great commuter but it's a blast to ride on the street.

http://www.rickclemson.com/UploadScript/Gallery/_MG_18092.jpg

Coolidge

nice bike, thats basically what im lookin for. But im definatly getting one already plated with all the junk on it already..

dzrtrat1111

that thing looks SICK!! it seems it may be way more modded then mine will ever be but what are some of the basics you did to it that make it a street monster?

thanks JOSH

what temp. range should the xr 600 be in the range of. I'm looking to get the xr's dip stick, to monitor the temp. What about wrapping the header.This is my first air cooled bike and i'm just a little concerned about driving on the street. any info would help..

what temp. range should the xr 600 be in the range of. I'm looking to get the xr's dip stick, to monitor the temp. What about wrapping the header.This is my first air cooled bike and i'm just a little concerned about driving on the street. any info would help..

I've had two XR600s and an HRC628, all three DSd. I never had a problem overheating on the road at all.

shud be fine with the XR on the road,highway and trails all day all night...

here's mine 3yrs ago doing all day street,weekend fun,trails on some of the sundays,and few races...2 yrs of abuse...only repair needed was a replacement of the timing chain...and clutchplates...:applause:

bikepics-787845-full.jpg

bikepics-800052-full.jpg:applause: :applause:

05 trx450r

so far all that is done to my xr besides the baja designs kit with LED tail light, is a white bros E series exhaust, uncorked, and an EBC heavy duty clutch kit. The new mods should be done in a few weeks. Right now i'm converting the front end to CR 125 USD forks and triple clamps, the wheels are being changed to a CBR 600F3 front wheel and a CBR900rr rear wheel, and the Aloop Gas tank kit with shrouds to update the look! then soon a 640cc kit for the motor, not that it needs it, it has a ton of power stock.

ok well it seems i chose a good bike to start with, is there any problem areas i should look for. i know the normal stuff but anyhtign on the xr typically problematic?

and dzrtrat1111, so your running stock suspention? how does that work on the street.. i see your changing it is that an indication of how it works?

smicer what have you done to yours that you would say i should do for a daily rider?

thanks, JOSH

Hey dude...i've bought '97 XR600R with high milege...bike is stock but with the normal uncorking stuff...air filter and carburator jettings have been changed...

so to get a better milege range,i put on 15/40 on the sprocket as this will also have better cruising speed on the highways without making so much revving noise...as we all know,Singapore is a very cramp up city....lots of traffic in the town area,and its only accessibilty from one point to another is on the tarmac...if you gonna spend time about 70% on the road,best to get semi-offrd tyres like the Dunlop D603 or D605...if you gonna use it lots more on the tarmac,with light offrd,you mite wanna check out Dunlop D604 Trailwing...these tyres will last you quite awhile...You mite just wanna add i bigger tank to it...for the suspension department...i've done nothing...i just rode stock....:thumbsup:

05 trx450r

I'm not changing the front suspension because i don't like the way it handles. i'm changing it because i want more adjustability for more aggressive street riding. i take it into the mountain twisties all of the time! Plus the USD forks just look cool!!!! but seriously, for normal to mildly aggressive street riding the stock XR forks are just fine! i weigh 220lbs and i have the correct springs in my forks, but i put 10wt oil in the forks to control the suspension for the road and it made the world of difference!

Here is my street legal XR600 Adventure, I'm leaving tomorrow to ride it across the US on the TransAmerica trail! :ride:

173734854-M.jpg

Here is my street legal XR600 Adventure, I'm leaving tomorrow to ride it across the US on the TransAmerica trail! :ride:

173734854-M.jpg

That's real cool looking with the bags..can you tell me what the different packs are and where you got them? What about the rear rack? I am thinking of adding some luggage options to my '92 XR600.

-thanks

wow. how long have you had this bike, it looks like you have put a good amount of money into it. My god, their is not one scratch on it...thumbs up to you my friend. Enjoy every second on it, because when you get back that bike is going to look like every other 600....

well thanks guys!! all this info is great from people who actually do this stuff..

Jeff@TheQuadShop that is an awsome journey hope i can do it someday.. i also weigh 210-220 so just respring and since im buying used i should change the shock oil anway im guessing.. what is stock you said you put 10wt?? and this bike will be more then 70% street so ill check out those tires, what speed do you cruise at to need the grearing that you changed to,smicer

and what kinda mileage do yall get?

thanks a bunch, JOSH

well..when i use the acerbis 22ltr tank,i get about 350-370km and it hits reserves...

cruising about 100-110km/hr on highway...mostly got alot of traffic to go...speed i shud say about 170km/hr...

That's real cool looking with the bags..can you tell me what the different packs are and where you got them? What about the rear rack? I am thinking of adding some luggage options to my '92 XR600.

-thanks

The tank bag is the Wolfman Expedition small that I got directly from Wolfman.

The tank panniers came from Tractor Supply, they are for an ATV but work great on the bike and only cost $30.

The rear duffel bag is a Seal Line and can be bought at just about any sporting goods store like Dicks or BassPro.

The rear rack came on an old XR650L that I bought a couple years ago, I'm not sure what brand it is.

wow. how long have you had this bike, it looks like you have put a good amount of money into it. My god, their is not one scratch on it...thumbs up to you my friend. Enjoy every second on it, because when you get back that bike is going to look like every other 600....

I've had that bike for several years, its been raced in GNCC's and some local harescrables and rode thousands of miles all over Kentucky. Its been in some pretty nasty stuff. Now it is retired to adventer duty.

It looks good because I just replaced the plastic and installed the 5.8 gallon Acerbis tank. Trust me, it has many many battle scars! LOL Its a 1992 model by the way. It will look exactly the same when I get it home and clean it up after the trip. LOL

Here are a few more pics....

173737007-M.jpg

173735948-M.jpg

173733515-M.jpg

173737987-M.jpg

173735408-M-1.jpg

127310094-M.jpg

127309960-M.jpg